53rd annual A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS special leads broadcast; 90210 with the original cast currently being shopped to networks and streamers
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||0.9/4||0.8/3||0.6/3||0.4/2||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||4.11||5.39||2.97||1.5||1.05|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Thursday, December 20, 2018
|8 p.m.||A Charlie Brown Christmas (ABC) – R||1.2/6||5.14|
|The Big Bang Theory (CBS) – R||1.0/5||7.01|
|Timeless (NBC) (8-10 p.m.) – F||0.6/3||3.22|
|A Christmas Story Live! (FOX) (8-10 p.m.) – R||0.4/2||1.5|
|Howie Mandel Stand-Up Extravaganza (The CW) (8-10 p.m.) – S||0.2/1||1.05|
|8:30 p.m.||Young Sheldon (CBS) – R||0.9/4||6.55|
|9 p.m.||The Big Bang Theory (CBS) – R||0.9/4||6.4|
|The Great American Baking Show: Holiday Edition (ABC) (9-11 p.m.) – F||0.7/3||3.59|
|9:30 p.m.||Murphy Brown (CBS) – F||0.7/3||5.21|
|10 p.m.||S.W.A.T. (CBS) – R||0.5/2||3.58|
|Deal or No Deal (NBC) – R||0.5/2||2.46|
- ABC shot to the top of primetime on Thursday with its 53rd annual airing of A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS, which scored a 1.2 in adults 18-49, the night’s highest-rated broadcast. THE GREAT AMERICAN BAKING SHOW followed with a two-hour finale and ticked up a tenth from last week to finish at 0.7.
- MURPHY BROWN on CBS finished out its season, tying a low of 0.7. Despite a Golden Globe nomination, a huge marketing campaigns, and high-profile guest stars, the reboot of Murphy Brown hasn’t been nearly the hit CBS was hoping for; it premiered tepidly, only scoring a 1.0 in 18-49s for the season opener, and has slid backwards ever since.
- NBC aired the two-hour series finale of TIMELESS, which grabbed a 0.6 rating, even with its Season 2 demo, but 3.22 million viewers, the highest viewership its had since the Season 1 finale in February, 2017.
- CW aired Howie Mandel’s FOURTH ANNUAL STAND-UP EXTRAVAGANZA, earning a 0.2 and just over one million viewers.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Wednesday, December 19, 2018
|BLACK INK CREW||VH1||10:01 PM||1,135||0.5|
|REAL HSWIVES OF NJ||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,178||0.5|
|BLACK INK CREW-SMAS||VH1||9:00 PM||867||0.4|
|COLL FTBL BOWL GAME – SAN DIEGO STATE/OHIO||ESPN||8:00 PM||1,447||0.4|
|CATFISH:THE TV SHOW||MTV||9:00 PM||543||0.3|
|FORGED IN FIRE||HISTORY||10:01 PM||1,042||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,058||0.3|
|GUYS GROCERY GAMES||FOOD||9:00 PM||805||0.3|
|CNN TONIGHT||CNN||10:00 PM||1,313||0.3|
|CUOMO PRIME TIME||CNN||9:00 PM||1,386||0.3|
|FULL FRONTAL W/ SAM BEE||TBS||10:30 PM||929||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||817||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,334||0.3|
|NHL REGULAR SEASON – PITTSBURGH/WASHINGTON||NBC SPORTS||8:03 PM||697||0.2|
|SPORTSCENTER EARLY||ESPN||6:00 PM||595||0.2|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,496||0.2|
|PROPERTY BROTHERS (1 HR)||HOME||9:00 PM||1,480||0.2|
|SPORTSCENTER 12AM||ESPN||10:59 PM||622||0.2|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||1,307||0.2|
|LAST WORD W/ L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,319||0.2|
|SPORTSCENTER LATE||ESPN||12:30 AM||509||0.2|
|DAILY SHOW||COMEDY||11:00 PM||723||0.2|
|FIVE, THE||FOX NEWS||5:00 PM||2,148||0.2|
- On a sports-less Wednesday night, getting to the top of cable ratings wasn’t nearly as steep a climb as it usually is. VH1 took the number one and three spots with BLACK INK CREW (0.5) and BLACK INK CREW CHRISTMAS SPECIAL (0.4). Between them was THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF NEW JERSEY, also at 0.5 and up a tenth from last week (but jumped seven spots on the list week-to-week).
- Elsewhere, VIKINGS on History Channel maintained its 0.4 rating, while CATFISH: THE TV SHOW on MTV continued on its 0.3 steady path.
- DEVELOPMENT NEWS:
- In YET ANOTHER REBOOT: THE ORIGINAL CAST NEEDS MONEY news, BEVERLY HILLS 90210 is staging a comeback, with original cast members Jennie Garth, Tori Spelling, Jason Priestley, Ian Ziering, Brian Austin Green and Gabrielle Carteris all attached. Honestly, the idea of rebooting the show now is just plain silly to me creatively, but it makes a lot of business sense, and it’s no surprise that multiple buyers are interested (funnily enough, I happened to run in to some of the cast just a few days at a Coffee Bean near Netflix’s Hollywood offices; Tori Spelling blocked my access to the straws). Fox was the original network for the series, so I have to believe they are in the mix, but my gut says Netflix will grab it, especially if rights to the original series are on the table. Netflix just paid WarnerMedia $100 million to keep non-exclusive access to FRIENDS through 2019, but they’re going to need a replacement, and 90210 fits right into that nostalgic sweet spot that seems to drive a lot of binge watching on streamers.
- I don’t normally watch The Tonight Show (more of a Conan fan), but Miley Cyrus performing updated lyrics to the Eartha Kitt classic Santa Baby had me laughing out loud. Check it out HERE
- In contrast, here’s Colbert’s Christmas song, lampooning every bat shit crazy thing the “President” and his entourage has done over 2018. I can admire how it was put together and the writing is clever, but honestly, eight minutes for one skit? Yeesh. I didn’t even get two minutes in before I had to turn it off, it was so grating. What do you think?
- And a third option, James Corden could be counted on to do a completely apolitical and delightful confection of Carpool Karaoke, the Holiday Version. Maybe a bit long, but overall fantastic editing work to put the song together, splicing the likes of Barbra Streisand, Michael Buble, Christina Aquilera, Arianna Grande, and others all crooning Christmas (Baby Please Come Home). If you just need to turn your brain off for four minutes, click HERE