THE VOICE hits a high note in last show of the year; Amblin TV developing 10-episode version of ROSHOMON; Les Moonves to receive $0 in severance
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.5/7||0.7/3||0.7/3||0.5/2||0.1/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||8.73||4.67||3.9||2.29||0.46|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Monday, December 17, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Voice (NBC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.6/7||9.8|
|The Neighborhood (CBS)||1.0/5||6.06|
|The Great Christmas Light Fight (ABC) (8-10 p.m.) – F||0.7/3||3.87|
|The Resident (FOX) – R||0.4/2||2.25|
|Arrow (The CW) – R||0.1/1||0.54|
|8:30 p.m.||Happy Together (CBS)||0.7/3||4.11|
|9 p.m.||Magnum P.I. (CBS) – R||0.6/3||4.04|
|9-1-1 (FOX) – R||0.5/2||2.33|
|DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (The CW) – R||0.1/1||0.39|
|10 p.m.||America’s Got Talent: A Holiday of Champions (NBC) – S||1.2/6||6.57|
|Bull (CBS) – R||0.6/3||4.9|
|2018: In Memoriam (ABC) – S||0.6/3||3.95|
- It was a quiet night on broadcast as both Fox and the CW took the night off completely, and other reruns began to dot the landscape leading up to Christmas.
- NBC easily kept its status on top of Monday nights; THE VOICE won the night at a 1.6, up two tenths from last week, while an AMERICA’S GOT TALENT special scored a 1.2 in the 10pm hour.
- On ABC, annual holiday entry THE GREAT CHRISTMAS LIGHT FIGHT ended its abbreviated run a tenth up from last week, earning a 0.7, and rounded out the evening with an IN MEMORIAM special at 0.6 in 18-4s and just under four million viewers.
- CBS only had two new episodes in the field last night; both THE NEIGHBORHOOD (1.0) and HAPPY TOGETHER (0.7) were down a tenth, with the 0.7 being a new low for Happy.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Sunday, December 16, 2018
|90 DAY FIANCE||TLC||8:00 PM||2,075||0.8|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES ATLANTA||BRAVO||8:00 PM||1,823||0.7|
|90 DAY FIANCE: LIVE AFTER||TLC||10:00 PM||1,443||0.5|
|HALL ORIGINAL MOVIE: A GINGERBREAD ROMANCE||HALLMARK||8:00 PM||2,736||0.5|
|VANDERPUMP RULES||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,266||0.5|
|NFL COUNTDOWN||ESPN||10:00 AM||1,071||0.4|
|LIGA MX (PT) SUN: F – CRUZ AZUL / AMERICA||UNIVISION||7:23 PM||891||0.4|
|PREMIER LEAGUE – MANCHESTER UNITED/LIVERPOOL||NBC SPORTS||10:53 AM||819||0.3|
|HOLIDAY GINGERBREAD SHDO||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,274||0.3|
|DEADLY LEGACY||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,094||0.3|
|DIRTY JOHN||BRAVO||10:00 PM||1,138||0.3|
|THE SHIVERING TRUTH||ADULT SWIM||12:00 AM||601||0.3|
|90 DAY FIANCE: MORE TO LO||TLC||6:00 PM||863||0.3|
|ALASKA: THE LAST FRONTIER||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,972||0.3|
|THE SHIVERING TRUTH||ADULT SWIM||12:15 AM||546||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER 12AM||ESPN||12:00 AM||606||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER WEEKEND||ESPN||9:00 AM||660||0.3|
|PIONEER WOMAN||FOOD||10:30 AM||1,107||0.3|
|NFL GAMEDAY MORNING||NFL NETWORK||9:00 AM||673||0.2|
|SPORTSCENTER WEEKEND||ESPN||8:00 AM||569||0.2|
|THE LAST ALASKANS||DISCOVERY||10:01 PM||1,344||0.2|
|GIRL MEETS FARM||FOOD||11:00 AM||954||0.2|
|SPORTSCENTER 1AM||ESPN||1:00 AM||480||0.2|
|GIADAS HOLIDAY HANDBOOK||FOOD||11:30 AM||857||0.2|
|HAWAII LIFE||HOME||8:00 PM||992||0.2|
- TLC’s 90 DAY FIANCE franchise topped the cable list on Sunday, with its flagship show coming in at 0.8, up two tenths from its previous 0.6 rating, while a live after show rounded out the top three at 0.5. In between the two, Bravo slipped in with REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA at 0.7, down a tenth from last week, but good enough to rise to number two this week.
- STARZ’s OUTLANDER continues a solid performance, still holding at 0.2 for a fourth week in a row, while still gaining in viewers. This past Sunday saw its highest total viewers for the season at 1.12 million.
- Elsewhere, Bravo’s DIRTY JOHN slipped for the first time, dropping from a 0.4 to 0.3 in the 18-49 demographic.
- DEVELOPMENT NEWS:
- Steven Spielberg’s Amblin TV is currently developing a television version of Akira Kurosawa’s timeless classic ROSHOMON. The plan is to take the film’s basic premise, of a mystery told from multiple perspectives, and splay it out over a 10-episode arc, with each episode centering around a different character perspective to the same mystery. Funny, that’s not how I remember it.
- PROJECTS GREENLIT/ORDERED:
- Netflix is continuing to get its witch on, greenlighting 16 more episodes of THE CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA, to be split into two eight-episode chapter arcs. The second chapter of the series premieres 5 April, 2019, and production for chapters three and four will begin concurrently in the new year.
- BUSINESS BRIEFS:
- Penny Marshall, director of such hits as Big and A League of Their Own, passed away from diabetes complications late last night. She was 75.
- CBS’ internal investigation has concluded and the board made public its decision to not award ousted chair Les Moonves with the $120 million USD severance package, saying in part, “With regard to Mr. Moonves, we have determined that there are grounds to terminate for cause, including his willful and material misfeasance, violation of Company policies and breach of his employment contract, as well as his willful failure to cooperate fully with the Company’s investigation. Mr. Moonves will not receive any severance payment from the Company.” Unsurprisingly, Moonves + legal team is fighting the decision in court. The CBS board statement can be read HERE.