Football leads Sunday while MISS UNIVERSE holds steady year-to-year; Apple signs action director Justin Lin to multi-year overall
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||4.1/16||2.0/8||1.1/4||0.7/3||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||14.04||11.15||4.19||4.2||0.59|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Sunday, December 16, 2018
|7 p.m.||Football Night in America (NBC)||2.2/9||8.08|
|2018 Miss Universe (FOX) (7-10 p.m.) – S||1.1/4||4.19|
|The Sound of Music (ABC) (7-11 p.m.) – R||0.7/3||4.20|
|7:30 p.m.||60 Minutes (CBS)||2.4/10||14.16|
|8 p.m.||SNF Pregame (NBC)||4.1/16||13.68|
|iHeartRadio Jingle Ball 2018 (The CW) (8-9:30 p.m.) – S||0.2/1||0.67|
|8:30 p.m.||NFL Football (NBC) (8:20-11:30 p.m.)||4.9/19||16.15|
|God Friended Me (CBS)||1.1/4||8.42|
|9:30 p.m.||NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)||0.9/4||6.84|
|Discontinued (The CW) – S||0.1/1||0.45|
|10:30 p.m.||FBI (CBS) – R||0.7/3||4.5|
- Beginning with the obvious, NBC took Sunday primetime in both overall rating and total audience, thanks to a game between the 2017 Super Bowl champs, the Eagles versus current NFC toppers Rams. Prelim ratings have the live broadcast at 4.9, four tenths down from the prelim 5.3 for last week’s game. SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL PREGAME is currently tracking three tenths behind last week, while FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA is up half a point.
- With a boost from NFL overruns, CBS is up considerably in average week to week (last week’s overall without football was at 0.8, while with overruns this week it’s at 2.0, for comparison’s sake). Once again, 60 MINUTES got the biggest boost, scoring a 2.4 last night versus its more typical 0.9 last week.
- Fox aired the 2018 installment of the MISS UNIVERSE competition, which, at a 1.1 in 18-49s, held steady year-to-year. Catriona Gray of the Philippines ultimately took the title, although the story of the night was about Miss Spain’s Angela Ponce, the first transgender model to compete in the pageant.
- ABC basically took the night off by airing its annual SOUND OF MUSIC special, and predictably it’s down year-to-year, although the one tenth drop is pretty tiny. CW continues to air concert specials to pretty standard results; last night’s iHeart Radio JINGLE BALL earned a 0.2, while the DISCONTINUED special put up a paltry 0.1 and less than 500k total viewers.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Thursday, December 13, 2018
|NFLN THU NT FOOTBALL – LAC VS. KC||NFL NETWORK||8:23 PM||3,286||1.1|
|JERSEY SHORE:FAM VACAY||MTV||8:00 PM||1,170||0.7|
|NBA BASKETBALL -LAKERS/ROCKETS||TNT||8:14 PM||1,323||0.6|
|NFLN THU NT PRE-KICK||NFL NETWORK||8:06 PM||1,812||0.6|
|NFLN THU NT POST-GAME||NFL NETWORK||11:36 PM||1,336||0.5|
|NFLN THU NT PREGAME||NFL NETWORK||7:30 PM||1,090||0.4|
|FLORIBAMA SHORE||MTV||9:03 PM||661||0.4|
|DR. PIMPLE POPPER:12 POPS||TLC||9:00 PM||1,498||0.4|
|NBA BASKETBALL – MAVERICKS/SUNS||TNT||10:46 PM||711||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,047||0.3|
|LIGA MX – AMERICA/CRUZ AZUL||UNIVISION||9:24 PM||740||0.3|
|NBA TIP-OFF||TNT||8:00 PM||777||0.3|
|LIVE PD PRESENTS: PD CAM||A&E||10:01 PM||1,094||0.3|
|LIVE PD PRESENTS: PD CAM||A&E||10:32 PM||1,074||0.3|
|CASE THAT HAUNTS ME, THE||INVESTIGATION||11:00 PM||957||0.3|
|JERSEY SHORE: FV AFTER||MTV||10:04 PM||516||0.3|
|NIGHT THAT DIDNT END||INVESTIGATION||10:00 PM||1,042||0.3|
|LIVE PD: POLICE PATROL||A&E||9:00 PM||957||0.3|
|LIVE PD: POLICE PATROL||A&E||9:30 PM||1,007||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||761||0.3|
|CUOMO PRIME TIME||CNN||9:00 PM||1,358||0.2|
|INSIDE THE NBA||TNT||1:11 AM||452||0.2|
|SPORTSCENTER LATE||ESPN||11:49 PM||527||0.2|
|LIVE PD: POLICE PATROL||A&E||8:30 PM||762||0.2|
|NFL TOTAL ACCESS||NFL NETWORK||12:07 AM||577||0.2|
- THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL was once again on top of cable ratings, after momentarily losing top dog status to JERSEY SHORE: FAMILY VACATION. NFL Network’s live broadcast of the LA Chargers vs Kansas City Chiefs game scored a 1.1 in the 18-49 demo, up four tenths from last week. JERSEY SHORE did follow up in the number two slot, scoring a steady 0.7. An NBA game on TNT took third, coming in at 0.6 for TNT.
- Elsewhere, TLC scored solid results somehow shoehorning a Christmas theme into popular variety show DR. PIMPLE POPPER. The Twelve Pops of Christmas (nope, that’s not gross at all) scored a 0.4 and nearly 1.5 million viewers, typical of its ratings over the summer. The show is really a love it or hate it kind of thing, but there’s no denying she’s popular: 4.6 million self-proclaimed popaholics subscribe to Dr. Sandre Lee’s YouTube channel. WARNING: The videos are graphic.
- DEVELOPMENT NEWS:
- This is a fun one for horror fanatics: Shout! Studios and Ace Film HK Co are shopping a 13×50 docu-series centered around b-movie horror director Roger Corman and his wife, Julie. The series traces the Cormans’ trail-blazing path as independent producers, including their mentorship of young film talent who would go on to become Hollywood royalty. It is truly jaw-dropping the list of names that began their career working with the Cormans – Jack Nicholson, Robert De Niro, Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, and James Cameron, all worked with Roger, while Julie, as the chair of NYU’s graduate film department worked with then-young Catherine Hardwicke, Bill Pullman, Martin Sheen, and Jonathan Demme.
- BUSINESS BRIEFS:
- Highly sought after television director and executive producer, Justin Lin television (Magnum PI, SWAT, and Scorpion [CBS]), has gone over to Apple from Sony, signing an exclusive two-year overall TV deal, where he will develop, produce and direct television series from a global perspective. This is the fourth in a series of high profile overall deal moves has made this year, beginning with their partnership with Harpo Productions, Oprah Winfrey’s production company, in June, before inking with Kerry Ehrin (Bates Motel [AMC]) and DHX Studios for new and library Peanuts cartoon content.
- Channing Dungey, formerly president of ABC Entertainment, has officially accepted a leadership role at Netflix, taking the title of VP of Original Content, reporting to Cindy Holland, VP of Original Content. In the newly created role Dungey will enter in February, her remit covers setting strategy for Netflix’s original series and oversee large portions of the streamer’s slate and overall deals, including those of Shonda Rhymes, Jenji Kohan, Kenya Barris, Marti Noxon, and the Obamas’ Higher Groud Productions.