THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ends season at near high; Apple picks up content rights to Peanuts; Common pitching out docuseries centering around 2019 Chicago Mayoral Race
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||3.4/14||0.8/3||0.6/3||0.5/2||0.4/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||12.31||6.17||2.98||2.22||1.25|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Thursday, December 13, 2018
|8 p.m.||NFL Football (FOX) (8-11 p.m.)||3.4/14||12.31|
|The Big Bang Theory (CBS) – R||1.1/5||8.08|
|Disney’s Prep & Landing (ABC) – S||0.7/3||3.19|
|Supernatural (The CW)||0.4/2||1.43|
|8:30 p.m.||Young Sheldon (CBS) – R||1.1/5||7.72|
|Prep & Landing: Naughty or Nice (ABC) – S||0.6/3||2.55|
|I Feel Bad (NBC)||0.4/2||1.85|
|9 p.m.||Mom (CBS)||1.2/5||7.67|
|The Great American Baking Show: Holiday Edition (ABC) (9-11 p.m.)||0.6/3||3.04|
|A Saturday Night Live Christmas (NBC) (9-11 p.m.) – R||0.5/2||2.12|
|Legacies (The CW)||0.3/1||1.08|
|9:30 p.m.||Murphy Brown (CBS)||0.7/3||5.51|
|10 p.m.||S.W.A.T. (CBS) – R||0.5/2||4.02|
- Fox sailed to easy win on Thursday night with its final live broadcast of THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL for the 2018 season. The Chargers vs. Chiefs game scored an early 3.4 in 18-49s, a 1.2 point improvement from last week’s early 2.2 rating, and will most likely adjust up to somewhere in the low 4.0 range in the finals.
- CBS, despite reruns of BIG BANG THEORY and YOUNG SHELDON rose to second place, although the broadcaster failed to break a 1.0 in the overall average. MOM was able to climb a tenth this week to 1.2, while MURPHY BROWN fell to a season low of 0.7.
- Elsewhere, it was a night of holiday specials and reruns in a mostly sleepy field of network drudgery. ABC’s annual PREP & LANDING and PREP & LANDING: NAUGHTY OR NICE specials pulled a 0.7 and 0.6 respectively, while the second episode in THE GREAT AMERICAN BAKING SHOW: HOLIDAY EDITION slipped a tenth to 0.6.
- On NBC, the fall finale of SUPERSTORE fell to a season low 0.7, and a special airing of I FEEL BAD wasn’t able to improve on its average and still only managed its usual 0.4. NBC limped to a close with an encore airing of A SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE CHRISTMAS, which earned a 0.5.
- CW shows SUPERNATURAL (0.4) and LEGACIES (0.3) each dropped a tenth week-to-week.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Wednesday, December 12, 2018
|NBA REGULAR SEASON – TORONTO/GOLDEN STATE||ESPN||10:45 PM||2,009||0.8|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON – OKLAHOMA CITY/NEW ORLEANS||ESPN||8:12 PM||1,730||0.7|
|BLACK INK CREW||VH1||10:00 PM||1,093||0.6|
|NBA AFTER THE BUZZER||ESPN||12:53 AM||1,071||0.5|
|SOUTH PARK||COMEDY||10:00 PM||828||0.5|
|LIVE PD WED: 170 LIVE PD WED||A&E||8:00 PM||1,396||0.4|
|SPORTSCENTER 12AM||ESPN||1:10 AM||768||0.4|
|REAL HSWIVES OF NJ||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,001||0.4|
|NBA COURTSIDE||ESPN||8:00 PM||1,041||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,492||0.4|
|FULL FRONTAL W/ SAM BEE||TBS||10:30 PM||944||0.3|
|CATFISH: THE TV SHOW||MTV||9:00 PM||614||0.3|
|GUYS GROCERY GAMES||FOOD||9:00 PM||958||0.3|
|SUSAN POWELL: AN ID MURDER||INVESTIGATION||9:00 PM||1,341||0.3|
|FORGED IN FIRE||HISTORY||10:01 PM||971||0.3|
|PROPERTY BROTHERS||HOME||9:00 PM||1,529||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER MORNING||ESPN||2:00 AM||515||0.3|
|DAILY SHOW||COMEDY||11:00 PM||850||0.3|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||1,533||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||728||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,110||0.3|
|NBA PRE-GAME||ESPN||7:00 PM||604||0.3|
|CNN TONIGHT||CNN||10:00 PM||1,413||0.3|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF DALLAS||BRAVO||10:00 PM||659||0.2|
- NBA games predictably topped this list on Wednesday, with the Toronto Raptors vs. Golden State Warriors game taking number one with a 0.8 rating in 18-49s, while the Thunder vs. Pelicans game followed closely behind at 0.6. BLACK INK CREW on VH1 rounded out the top three, up a tenth at 0.6, narrowly beating out AFTER THE BUZZER (0.5) on ESPN.
- SOUTH PARK’s Christmas episode scored a 0.5, back to the long-running comedy’s usual average after a dip last week. I guess we have Santa saying “cunt” on American television without being censored to thank for that. Thanks, you filthy-mouthed, present-giving sprite.
- On A&E, LIVE PD WEDNESDAY put up another 0.4.
- DEVELOPMENT NEWS:
- Put another iconic feather in Apple’s content cap: the streaming service has struck a deal with DHX Media to produce new Peanuts content. Under a collaboration with DHX’s subsidiary, Peanuts Worldwide, they will develop and produce original programs, including new series, specials and shorts based on the characters created by Charles M. Schultz. Also included in the deal is access to the entire Peanuts content library, a trend that has been picking up pace among streamers this year. Over the summer, Netflix acquired the entire content library and rights to produce new content from The Roald Dahl Story Company, Amazon has LORD OF THE RINGS, and of course, Disney is Disney. The fight for entire libraries of content won’t abate anytime soon, although I think it’s going to switch from buying up global existing IP and high-caliber creator overalls to gobbling up failing OTT services by the end of next year.
- CHICAGO/2019 | Political Docu-series | TBDx60
Producers/Distributors: Freedom Road Productions, Ample Entertainment
Log line: A real-time documentary television series that follows 21 candidates running for the city’s top job candidates as they fight for votes in the most cutthroat arena in local politics. A city’s mayoral race doesn’t usually make national headlines, but Chicago isn’t just any city – it’s a political powerhouse, and it’s a microcosm of the country. With record breaking violence, racial segregation, failing schools, and a looming pension crisis, Chicago is emblematic of the issues that plague America.
Status: Going to US premium cable and streamers week of 17 December
- PROJECTS GREENLIT/ORDERED:
- ABC has extended episode orders for BLACK-ISH (2 eps), THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT, and SINGLE PARENTS (1 ep each).