Broadcast Overnights delayed until further notice; HFPA names Carol Burnett as inaugural winner of Honorary Golden Globe for Lifetime Achievement in Television; NPR’s current events quiz show WAIT, WAIT, DON’T TELL ME! put into development at Wilshire Studios
PLEASE NOTE: Broadcast ratings have been delayed due to adverse weather on the East Coast. Nielsen expects to release numbers around 4:30pm PT; an update will be sent as soon as ratings become available.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Sunday, December 9, 2018
|REAL HOUSEWIVES ATLANTA||BRAVO||8:00 PM||2,038||0.8|
|90 DAY FIANCE||TLC||8:00 PM||1,941||0.6|
|HALL ORIGINAL MOVIE: WELCOME TO CHRISTMAS||HALLMARK||8:00 PM||3,428||0.6|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF OC||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,469||0.6|
|NFL COUNTDOWN||ESPN||10:00 AM||1,199||0.4|
|KEEPING UP KARDASHIANS||E!||9:00 PM||851||0.4|
|DIRTY JOHN||BRAVO||10:00 PM||1,279||0.4|
|HOLIDAY GINGERBREAD SHDO||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,231||0.4|
|DEADLY LEGACY||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,168||0.4|
|SPORTSCENTER 12AM||ESPN||12:00 AM||782||0.3|
|RETURN TO AMISH||TLC||10:00 PM||951||0.3|
|THE SHIVERING TRUTH||ADULT SWIM||12:00 AM||616||0.3|
|ALASKA: THE LAST FRONTIER||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,990||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER 1AM||ESPN||1:00 AM||657||0.3|
|BLOOD RUNS COLD||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,010||0.3|
|THE SHIVERING TRUTH||ADULT SWIM||12:15 AM||536||0.3|
|GIRL MEETS FARM||FOOD||11:00 AM||1,213||0.3|
|BAREFOOT CONTESSA||FOOD||12:30 PM||1,153||0.2|
|LIGA MX SUN: SF – AMERICA / UNAM||UNIVISION||7:30 PM||548||0.2|
|COPA LIB FINALS – RIVER PLATE VS BOCA JRS||FOX DEPORTES||2:16 PM||519||0.2|
|MOVIE- ORIGINAL PREM: A CHRISTMAS IN TENNESSEE||LIFETIME||8:00 PM||1,325||0.2|
|SPORTSCENTER WEEKEND||ESPN||9:00 AM||623||0.2|
|HMM ORIGINAL MOVIE: TIME 2 COME HOME 4 XMAS||HALLMARK||9:00 PM||1,819||0.2|
|GIADAS HOLIDAY HANDBOOK||FOOD||11:30 AM||1,174||0.2|
|FX MOVIE PRIME: TROLLS||FX||8:00 PM||606||0.2|
- It was a banner night for franchise docuseries on cable; Bravo’s REAL HOUSEWIVES took both the number one and four spots on the list, with ATLANTA claiming the top position with a 0.8 (a tenth up from last week), while ORANGE COUNTY landed just outside the top three, down a tenth to 0.6. TLC’s 90 DAY FIANCE put up its usual 0.6, good enough for number two.
- Bravo’s DIRTY JOHN continues to perform well, earning another 0.4 for a third week in a row, while Hallmark Christmas movies continue their schmaltzy blitz – two movies made it to the top 25, including WELCOME TO CHRISTMAS (0.6), which rounded out the top three and TIME 2 COME HOME 4 XMAS (ugh) turned in a 0.2. Not to be outdone, Lifetime countered with a movie of its own, A CHRISTMAS IN TENNESSEE, which also earned a 0.2. Shortcut synopsis to all holiday movies on Hallmark & Lifetime: a pretty blonde (sometimes brunette, but only if it’s Danica McKellar) meets a handsome, rugged, working class man, they fall in love amidst confusion, there’s a sassy sidekick to cheer them on, and then they all learn something about how magical Christmas is. The end. Rinse, repeat x1,000,000,000, until January mercifully releases us from these (admittedly, very reliable ratings/viewers cash cow) “movies” for another year.
- Off the top 25 but worth a note – while renewed with all major players for 2020, DR. WHO finished its first season with a woman doctor on a down note. The season finale grabbed a 0.2, same as last week, but dropped to a season low 706K viewers.
- DEVELOPMENT NEWS:
- As previously reported, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association will inaugurate a lifetime television honor (in the same vein as the Cecile B. DeMille award for film) beginning with the 2019 telecast. A personal favorite of mine, comedienne Carol Burnett, will receive the first Honorary Golden Globe TV Award, and the lifetime achievement honor will bear her name in years to come.
- NBCU Cable’s alternative division, Wilshire Studios, has teamed up with Storied Media Group to develop a TV version of long-running and beloved radio quiz show, WAIT, WAIT DON’T TELL ME! Hosted by Peter Sagal, the fast-paced, news-themed, weekly quiz program features celebrity guests, variety sketch vignettes, and mini-games, with members of the audience and callers playing along. Changes for the TV format include expanding to a 60-minute program with three celebrity panelists competing in a series of comedic challenges to earn points for correctly answering questions about the week’s events. A host for the TV version has not yet been announced. If you haven’t heard it before, I highly recommend checking out the radio program HERE. It’s a delightful mix of comedy and news that never fails to teach me something new. Definitely a piece of development I’ll be keeping an eye on.
- PROJECTS GREENLIT/ORDERED:
- PUNK | Docuseries | 4×60 | US Premiere: 19 March, 2019 on Epix
- Log line: Explores the music, fashion, art, and DIY attitude of a subculture of self-described misfits and outcasts. The docuseries will feature original, exclusive interviews with American punk pioneers and the UK’s most notorious bands, as well as rare and unseen photos, and rare archival footage.
- Punk icon Iggy Pop and fashion designer John Varvatos executive produce
- Narrators include Iggy Pop, Johnny Rotten, Marky Ramone, Debbie Harry of Blondie, and Jello Biafra of Dead Kennedys, among others
- Epix is handling WW rights
- Following up from reporting last week, NEW YORK UNDERCOVER the reboot has been given a pilot production commitment at ABC. It joins NYPD BLUE as the second police procedural to be given a pilot commitment at the network for 2019-20.
- BUSINESS BRIEFS:
- Acorn TV, an SVOD service known primarily for British drama and mystery series, will be expanding beyond NA and LATAM, expanding to Australia, Scandi countries, and select south-Asian and Caribbean markets in 2019. The service will launch at $4.99/mo USD.