THIS IS US falls below 2.0 for first time; THE VOICE ties season low; MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL surges on NFL Network; CBS puts NORTHERN EXPOSURE reboot into development
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.4/6||1.0/5||0.9/4||0.4/2||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||7.33||9.41||4.27||1.3||1.32|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Tuesday, November 20, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Voice (NBC)||1.4/6||8.22|
|The Conners (ABC)||1.4/6||6.91|
|The Flash (The CW)||0.6/3||1.6|
|The Gifted (FOX) – R||0.3/1||1.18|
|8:30 p.m.||The Kids Are Alright (ABC)||0.9/4||4.39|
|9 p.m.||This is Us (NBC)||1.8/8||7.89|
|Lethal Weapon (FOX) – R||0.4/2||1.46|
|Black Lightning (The CW)||0.3/1||1.0|
|9:30 p.m.||Splitting Up Together (ABC)||0.6/3||2.73|
|10 p.m.||New Amsterdam (NBC)||1.1/5||5.89|
|NCIS: New Orleans (CBS)||0.8/3||7.43|
|The Rookie (ABC)||0.7/3||4.05|
- In the run-up to Thanksgiving in the US, broadcast ratings are predictably down, as people take off for family gatherings and vacations. NBC was hardest hit; THE VOICE fell two tenths to 1.4, tying a previous season low, while THIS IS US fell below a 2.0 for the first time, only reaching 1.8 among 18-49s this week. NEW AMSTERDAM was stable at 1.1.
- ABC was similarly down, with BLACK-ISH (0.8) slipping the most, two tenths below last week. THE CONNERS (1.4), THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT (0.9) and SPLITTING UP TOGETHER (0.6) were all down a tenth, and THE ROOKIE rounded out the night was a steady 0.7.
- CBS’ NCIS also lost two tenths, down to 1.2 this week, while FBI (1.0) and NCIS: NEW ORLEANS (0.8) dipped a tenth.
- CW was steady; both THE FLASH (0.6) and BLACK LIGHTNING (0.3) posted the same numbers as last week.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Monday, November 19, 2018
|NFL REGULAR SEASON: KANSAS CITY/LA RAMS||ESPN||8:13 PM||16,610||5.5|
|MONDAY NIGHT KICKOFF||ESPN||8:00 PM||5,871||1.8|
|SPORTSCENTER 12AM||ESPN||12:05 AM||3,678||1.5|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||8:00 PM||2,721||0.9|
|LOVE & HIP HOP HOLLYWOOD||VH1||8:00 PM||1,929||0.9|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||ESPN||9:00 PM||2,502||0.9|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||ESPN||10:00 PM||2,256||0.8|
|MONDAY NIGHT COUNTDOWN||USA||6:00 PM||1,502||0.6|
|T.I. & TINY: FAMILY HUSTLE||VH1||9:01 PM||1,116||0.5|
|TEEN MOM||MTV||9:00 PM||792||0.5|
|HOLIDAY BAKING CHAMPION||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,637||0.4|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF OC||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,178||0.4|
|CHRISTMAS COOKIE CHALLENGE||FOOD||10:00 PM||1,232||0.4|
|MAUI INVITATIONAL: DUKE/SAN DIEGO STATE||ESPN2||5:20 PM||850||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||863||0.3|
|LOVE IT OR LIST IT||HOME||9:00 PM||1,149||0.3|
|STREET OUTLAWS: MEMPHIS||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||865||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,492||0.2|
|AMERICAN PICKERS||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,320||0.2|
|TEEN MOM: YOUNG & PREGNANT||MTV||10:01 PM||490||0.2|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,469||0.2|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,150||0.2|
|AROUND THE HORN||ESPN||5:00 PM||571||0.2|
|PEOPLE MAG INVESTIGATES||INVESTIGATION||10:00 PM||874||0.2|
- ESPN’s NFL Network enjoyed huge gains for the 54-51 Kansas City Chiefs vs Los Angeles Rams game on the Monday night. The live broadcast of the record-high scoring game surged two points over last week, reaching a 5.5 in adults 18-49. ESPN took all three top spots on the list (per usual this time of year); MONDAY NIGHT KICKOFF was three-tenths above last week, rising to 1.8. A post-game SPORTSCENTER similarly rose, up four-tenths to 1.5.
- Elsewhere, LOVE & HIP HOP: HOLLYWOOD on VH1 continued to fall, down another tenth from last week, landing at 0.9. USA’s WWE SMACKDOWN once more maintained a 0.9, it’s third in a row.
- DEVELOPMENT NEWS:
- I genuinely want to take a rolled-up newspaper and thwap across the nose anyone and everyone who gave a thumbs-up to the NORTHERN EXPOSURE revival now in development at CBS, but that’s only because I’m largely sick of reboots personally. How well it works is largely based on the strength of the IP channels are increasingly mining from their own stores and the creative team involved (duh), but the chatter I am generally coming across these days is that the market is drying up, and while there is initial interest and pop in engagement (namely people wasting time on social media arguing whether any particular property should or should not be remade), the ratings rarely bear out the huge initial costs that are sunk into these revivals (the tepid response to AMERICAN IDOL on ABC immediately comes to mind).