THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL tops broadcast ratings once again; extended promo for Fox’s THE MASKED SINGER inside; Keshet setting up Truman Show-esque reality format 2025; Netflix, Amazon, and Apple all sign multi-year feature pacts with major studios
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||3.4/14||1.3/5||1.2/5||0.8/3||0.4/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||11.68||7.85||5.44||3.13||1.26|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Thursday, November 15, 2018
|8 p.m.||NFL Football (FOX) (8-11 p.m.)||3.4/14||11.68|
|The Big Bang Theory (CBS)||2.3/10||12.37|
|Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)||1.7/7||7.27|
|Supernatural (The CW)||0.4/2||1.44|
|8:30 p.m.||Young Sheldon (CBS)||1.8/7||10.75|
|The Good Place (NBC)||0.8/3||2.66|
|9 p.m.||Mom (CBS)||1.3/5||7.92|
|Station 19 (ABC)||1.2/5||5.91|
|Will & Grace (NBC)||0.7/3||2.93|
|Legacies (The CW)||0.3/1||1.07|
|9:30 p.m.||Murphy Brown (CBS)||0.9/4||5.93|
|I Feel Bad (NBC)||0.5/2||1.9|
|10 p.m.||S.W.A.T. (CBS)||0.8/3||5.08|
|Law & Order: SVU (NBC)||0.8/3||3.99|
|How to Get Away with Murder (ABC)||0.8/3||3.15|
- Fox once again topped Thursday primetime with THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL. The game between Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks is currently tracking a tenth ahead of last week’s prelim rating, 3.4 to 3.3, although will adjust up later in the day in the final.
- Elsewhere in the broadcast field, it was a mostly steady to up night; virtually all shows held up against football, with only NBC shows suffering any losses. While SUPERSTORE (0.9), THE GOOD PLACE (0.8), and I FEEL BAD (0.5) were all steady with their last episodes, LAW & ORDER: SVU took a minor dip from 0.9 to 0.8 this time around, while WILL & GRACE fell off two tenths from its last episode, down to 0.7 (however, the comedy did match the number posted by THE VOICE in the same time slot last week).
- ABC’s all Shonda night gained over last week; both GREY’S ANATOMY (1.7) and HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER (0.8) were both up a tenth; STATION 19 rose two tenths to 1.2.
- CBS took the top scripted rating overall, with BIG BANG THEORY matching its 2.3 rating from last week. YOUNG SHELDON was also steady at 1.8. For the latter part of the night, CBS shows all grew by a tenth; MOM (1.3), MURPHY BROWN (0.9) and SWAT (0.8) were all up over last Wednesday.
- CW’s SUPERNATURAL (0.4) rose back up a tenth and LEGACIES posted another 0.3.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Wednesday, November 14, 2018
|NBA REGULAR SEASON – PORTLAND/LA LAKERS||ESPN||10:38 PM||2,067||1.0|
|AMERICAN HORROR STORY||FX||10:00 PM||1,830||0.8|
|NBA AFTER THE BUZZER||ESPN||1:02 AM||1,371||0.7|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON – NEW ORLEANS/MINNESOTA||ESPN||8:13 PM||1,249||0.5|
|SOUTH PARK||COMEDY CENTRAL||10:00 PM||824||0.5|
|BLACK INK CREW||VH1||10:00 PM||911||0.5|
|SPORTSCENTER 1AM||ESPN||1:20 AM||887||0.4|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF NJ||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,015||0.4|
|FORGED IN FIRE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,163||0.3|
|HOMICIDE HUNTER LT JOE KE||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,427||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,188||0.3|
|NBA COURTSIDE L||ESPN||8:00 PM||773||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,975||0.3|
|PROP BROS BUY AND SELL||HOME||9:00 PM||1,336||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER EARLY||ESPN||6:00 PM||605||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||794||0.3|
|AYTO: S7 REUNION FINAL P1||MTV||10:00 PM||466||0.3|
|DAILY SHOW||COMEDY CENTRAL||11:00 PM||830||0.3|
|NBA PRE-GAME||ESPN||7:00 PM||634||0.3|
|CNN TONIGHT||CNN||10:00 PM||1,353||0.3|
|ERIN BURNETT OUTFRONT||CNN||7:00 PM||1,197||0.3|
|THE FIVE||FOX NEWS||5:00 PM||2,633||0.2|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,203||0.2|
- It was a fairly steady night on cable Wednesday, with only the finale of AMERICAN HORROR STORY: APOCALYPSSE (0.8 – same as last week) breaking into the stronghold that ESPN grabbed at the top of the list with a Portland vs. LA Lakers live basketball broadcast. The game itself topped the list at 1.0, while a late AFTER THE BUZZER took the number three spot at 0.7. An earlier broadcast of the New Orleans vs. Minnesota NBA game also landed high on the list at 0.5.
- Elsewhere in cable, SOUTH PARK on Comedy Central continued its 0.5 solid ratings march, while VH1’s BLACK INK CREW suffered a one-tenth hit, dropping from 0.6 to 0.5 this week. REAL HOUSEWIVES OF NEW JERSEY similarly fell, down to a 0.4 Wednesday from 0.5 a week ago.
- DEVELOPMENT NEWS:
- Keshet International is reportedly working on a TRUMAN SHOW-esque reality show that has been going under working titles “2025” and “GOLD CITY.” Constructed on the outskirts of Yavne (southwest of Tel Aviv), an entire neighborhood is being constructed by the company, and is looking to launch “the next step beyond Big Brother” in the region early next year. Yoram Zak, the Israeli director of BIG BROTHER and host Erez Tal are producing the show with Keshet.
- PROJECTS GREENLIT/ORDERED:
- I received the extended promo for THE MASKED SINGER last night, which you can see HERE. Set to premiere on 2 January, 2019, as we’ve mentioned before, the format is based off the original South Korean series, which has been a smash hit in that country. From the extended promo, I’m still a bit underwhelmed and going back and forth whether there is really any there I found the performance of the masked lion intriguing and found myself trying to guess who it was, but found the judges’ banter pretty stale, even though they are clearly having fun with each other. I think the novelty will hit pretty high in the beginning, but depending on how long the reveals are dragged out through the season, despite its success elsewhere, I smell flash-in-the-pan for the US market.
- I mention this one more for the technology than the project or business implications: Netflix has greenlighted a 4-part animated series set during WWII based on Alex Kershaw’s book The Liberator and produced by A+E Studios. While “animation” and “World War Two” drama are not phrases I thought I’d utter in the same sentence, the series uses a hybrid technology called Trioscope, which, similar to rotoscope, allows for artists to overlay animation on top of live animation, but with a degree of CGI-detail that has yet to be achieved through previous means. I’ve attached a sample frame for you to take a look.
- Ahead of its sixth season premiere this summer, ABC has already announced a seventh season renewal for MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. The two shorter season will film back-to-back without a hiatus, helping to reduce costs. The move is counter to Netflix’s latest tactic of canceling shows, most noticeably Marvel entries IRON FIST and LUKE CAGE.
- BUSINESS BRIEFS:
- Looking to catch up with Netflix, both Amazon Studios and Apple have made major deals in the full-length movie space, looking to make a major push in features in 2019 and beyond. Amazon Studios has partnered with Blumhouse Television, interconnecting eight thematically linked features exploring what Blumhouse does best: shock, scare, terrify, and thrill. Apple is going in a more high-end, prestige direction, signing a multi-year pact with film company A24, which specializes in distribution, financing, development, and production of features, and has had critical success since its 2012 inception, including Oscar winning films Lady Bird and Moonlight, as well as acclaimed films Ex Machina, The Lobster, and The Disaster Artist. While the Blumhouse/Amazon deal will be for films exclusive to Amazon Prime, it is unclear where Apple plans to distribute films produced through the A24 pact – they will most certainly go to the new OTT service, but may look to release theatrically as well (as Netflix has begun to do with some its higher prestige, Oscar-bait films like Alfonso Cuaron’s Roma).
- Of course, not to be outdone, Netflix has also signed a multi-picture deal with a studio; for them it’s Paramount. The streamer and studio have worked together previously, mostly on television fare such as hits Maniac and 13 Reasons Why, and made an initial push into films together when Paramount did a distribution deal with Netflix for 2017’s The Cloverfield Paradox.
- Quick financial side note: between Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Apple, more than $20 billion USD has been spent on content in 2018 alone.
The Liberator: Trioscope Low-res screen shot: