NBC stays on top of Monday, but THE VOICE and MANIFEST both falter in ratings; WALKING DEAD stays mostly steady after Andrew Lincoln departure; Netflix enters the singing competition space with RHYTHM & FLOW greenlight
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.5/6||0.9/4||0.8/3||0.6/3||0.4/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||8.01||7.05||5.64||2.88||1.44|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Monday, November 12, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Voice (NBC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.7/6||8.96|
|The Neighborhood (CBS)||1.1/5||6.14|
|Dancing with the Stars (ABC) (8-10 p.m.)||0.9/4||7.32|
|The Resident (FOX) – R||0.6/3||2.76|
|Arrow (The CW)||0.5/2||1.58|
|8:30 p.m.||Happy Together (CBS)||0.8/3||4.54|
|9 p.m.||Magnum P.I. (CBS)||0.8/3||5.47|
|9-1-1 (FOX) – R||0.6/3||3.01|
|DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (The CW)||0.4/2||1.3|
|10 p.m.||Manifest (NBC)||1.1/5||6.1|
|The Good Doctor (ABC)||1.0/5||6.52|
- NBC predictably led Monday night once again with THE VOICE as the highest rated show overall, although it was down a tenth week-to-week, earning a 1.7 in the demo. MANIFEST had a similar story, tying CBS’ THE NEIGHBORHOOD for highest rated scripted show of the night, but the 1.1 it earned was a series low for the season. Although the supernatural drama was an early ratings success in the first weeks of the 2018-19 season and was awarded with an early back 9, Manifest has steadily fallen off since, and if it finishes much below a 1.0 by season’s end, I’m already skeptical about its return.
- As mentioned, CBS’ THE NEIGHBORHOOD also earned a 1.1 last night, up a tenth from last week. HAPPY TOGETHER, MAGNUM PI, and BULL all put up 0.8s, steady with a week ago.
- ABC had an equally steady night; both THE GOOD DOCTOR (1.0) and DANCING WITH THE STARS (0.9) matched numbers from last Monday, while over on The CW, ARROW (0.5) and DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (0.4) each grew a tenth. However, local MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL pre-emptions in the New York City metro area likely inflated the numbers, which I expect to adjust down in the finals later today.
- Fox took a night off, choosing to air reruns of THE RESIDENT and 911.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Sunday, November 11, 2018
|WALKING DEAD||AMC||9:00 PM||5,396||2|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES ATLANTA||BRAVO||8:00 PM||1,841||0.7|
|TALKING DEAD||AMC||10:20 PM||2,119||0.7|
|HALL ORIG MOVIE: CHRISTMAS IN LOVE||HALLMARK||8:00 PM||3,663||0.6|
|90 DAY FIANCE||TLC||8:00 PM||1,680||0.6|
|NFL COUNTDOWN||ESPN||10:00 AM||1,307||0.5|
|90 DAY FIANCE: LIVE AFTER||TLC||10:04 PM||1,348||0.4|
|SPORTSCENTER WEEKEND||ESPN||9:00 AM||844||0.4|
|SPORTSCENTER 12AM||ESPN||12:00 AM||768||0.3|
|DREAM CORP LLC||ADULT SWIM||12:00 AM||661||0.3|
|ALASKA: THE LAST FRONTIER||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,899||0.3|
|ULT THANKSGIVING CHALLENGE||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,058||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER 1AM||ESPN||1:00 AM||628||0.3|
|DREAM CORP LLC||ADULT SWIM||12:15 AM||600||0.3|
|PREMIER LEAGUE – MANCHESTER UNITED/MANCHESTER CITY||NBC SPORTS||11:24 AM||750||0.3|
|ON THE CASE WITH PZ||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,076||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER WEEKEND||ESPN||8:00 AM||666||0.3|
|WORST COOKS||FOOD||10:00 PM||836||0.3|
|HAWAII LIFE||HOME||8:00 PM||1,158||0.3|
|COLLEGE BKBL REG SSN – ARMY/DUKE||ESPN||1:00 PM||658||0.2|
|LAST WEEK TONIGHT||HBO||11:05 PM||782||0.2|
|PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD 2018 – S||E!||9:00 PM||582||0.2|
|BAREFOOT CONTESSA||FOOD||12:30 PM||980||0.2|
|BLOOD RUNS COLD||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,056||0.2|
- AMC’s WALKING DEAD mostly held on to its audience and rating week-to-week after Andrew Lincoln’s departure, dipping only a tenth from 2.1 to 2.0 and grabbing 5.4 million viewers. TALKING DEAD rounded out the top three, but fell three tenths from last week from 1.0 to 0.7. REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA climbed into the number two spot while maintaining the 0.7 it earned last week during its season premiere.
- TLC’s 90 DAY FIANCE held steady with another 0.6. BBC America’s DOCTOR WHO was also even with a 0.2 for the second week in a row.
- PROJECTS GREENLIT/ORDERED:
- RHYTHM & FLOW | Singing Competition | 10×60 | Netflix
Log line: American Idol for hip-hop, rap, and R&B artists. Like AI, the series will include multi-city audition rounds (planned for NYC, Atlanta, and Chicago, among others), but with local, established rappers serving as guest judges.
- Main judges are Cardi B, Chance the Rapper, and TI
- Executive producers John Legend, Jesse Collins and Jeff Gaspin
- Premieres Fall 2019
- BUSINESS BRIEFS:
- Netflix has released an 80-second sizzle reel promoting its holiday programming for 2018. The SVOD giant is clearly going for a, “We’ve got it all!” warehouse approach, as the sizzle shows clips on everything from favorite catalog content (Love, Actually), follow-ups to hits (A Christmas Prince), specials for originals (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Christmas), some movies that look like Lifetime/Hallmark rip-offs, and Kurt Russell as Santa Claus because why not? The tag line may as well be, “Netflix for the holidays: look long enough, you’ll find something to watch.”
- Discovery’s car-focused channel Velocity will officially rebrand as Motor Trend (in partnership with the 70+ year old American brand Motor Trend) on November 23rd. Although programming will remain largely the same, the rebrand helps enlarge the base audience Velocity has built over the last seven years, while deepening engagement with its audience by co-creating content for both the Motor Trend app and website.
- Former ITV CEO and current founder of Wheelhouse Entertainment Brent Montgomery has entered into a partnership with Jimmy Kimmel, forming new production banner Kimmelot. The new joint venture will see Kimmel become a partner in Wheelhouse and Kimmelot will develop and produce unscripted and scripted projects for linear TV and digital as well as app/mobile-based content. Although all creative projects by the late-night host will under the new company going forward, JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE! Will continue to be produced by Jackhole Productions, the company Kimmel formed with Adam Carolla and Daniel Kellison twenty years ago.