SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL down week-to-week, but up from 2017; BECOMING MICHELLE special on 20/20 boosts ABC to highest Sunday night audience for 2018-19 season; Stan Lee, creator of Spider Man, X-Men, and more passes away at 95
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||5.3/20||1.7/6||0.7/3||0.6/3||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||16.3||10.23||1.9||4.67||1.05|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Sunday, November 11, 2018
|7 p.m.||NFL Overrun (CBS)||4.7/18||19.33|
|Football Night in America (NBC)||2.3/9||7.76|
|America’s Funniest Home Videos (ABC)||0.8/3||5.71|
|Last Man Standing (FOX) – R||0.5/2||1.9|
|7:30 p.m.||60 Minutes (CBS)||2.4/10||13.31|
|Bob’s Burgers (FOX) – R||0.6/3||1.53|
|8 p.m.||SNF Pregame (NBC)||4.8/18||15.2|
|The Simpsons (FOX)||1.0/5||2.38|
|Dancing with the Stars: Juniors (ABC)||0.6/3||4.01|
|Supergirl (The CW)||0.3/1||1.16|
|8:30 p.m.||NFL Football (NBC) (8:20-11:30 p.m.)||5.9/22||17.93|
|God Friended Me (CBS)||1.1/5||8.3|
|Bob’s Burgers (FOX)||1.0/5||2.19|
|9 p.m.||Family Guy (FOX)||1.0/5||2.22|
|Charmed (The CW)||0.3/1||0.95|
|9:30 p.m.||NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)||0.8/3||6.86|
|10 p.m.||Country Music’s Biggest Stars (ABC) – S||0.4/2||3.46|
|10:30 p.m.||Madam Secretary (CBS)||0.6/3||5.56|
- It was a mostly typical Sunday night in broadcast for America, with the NFL largely determining this week’s winners and losers in the ratings. Starting with NBC, the Cowboys versus Eagles game posted a preliminary 5.9 in 18-49s, up from the same week of play in 2017, but down considerably from the 6.7 preliminary rating last week’s SNF scored. The final will most likely fall short of last week’s 7.4 final, as well.
- CBS’ lineup was boosted thanks to a 30-minute overrun of the afternoon game – 60 MINUTES posted an inflated 2.4, while GOD FRIENDED ME boosted up three tenths from 0.8 to 1.1 this week, and both NCIS: LOS ANGELES (0.8) and MADAM SECRETARY (0.6) are currently sitting a tenth higher than last Sunday’s episodes.
- It went the other way for Fox, which had no late afternoon game. THE SIMPSONS tied a season low at 1.0, while both BOB’S BURGERS and FAMILY GUY (both 1.0) dropped back to their season average rating. REL lost ground once again, dropping back a tenth to 0.5.
- ABC had a mixed bag for the night: DANCING WITH THE STARS: JUNIOR fell to a series low 0.6 (shocker – that show can’t die soon enough). In the 9pm hour, however, a 20/20 special BECOMING MICHELLE, featuring an in-depth interview with former First Lady Michelle Obama posted a 0.7 and 5.49 million viewers, one of the best performances for a Sunday evening show on ABC this season. COUNTRY MUSIC’S BIGGEST STARS: IN THE SPOTLIGHT scored a 0.4, around the same rating (now banished to Saturday) THE ALEC BALDWIN SHOW grabbed in its opening weeks.
- CW rounded out the night with a pair of 0.3s – SUPERGIRL was down a tenth from last week’s 0.4, but CHARMED remains rock solid with that number.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Thursday, November 8, 2018
|NFLN THU NT FOOTBALL – CAR VS. PIT||NFL NETWORK||8:23 PM||2,828||1.0|
|JERSEY SHORE: FAM VACAY||MTV||8:00 PM||1,280||0.8|
|NBA BASKETBALL – BUCKS/WARRIORS||TNT||10:36 PM||1,574||0.6|
|NFLN THU NT PRE-KICK||NFL NETWORK||8:06 PM||1,670||0.6|
|NFLN THU NT POST-GAME||NFL NETWORK||11:15 PM||1,166||0.5|
|NBA BASKETBALL – ROCKETS/THUNDER||TNT||8:13 PM||1,115||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,235||0.4|
|NFLN THU NT PREGAME||NFL NETWORK||7:30 PM||990||0.4|
|HOW FAR IS TATTOO FAR||MTV||9:01 PM||617||0.3|
|LIVE PD PRESENTS: PD CAM||A&E||10:01 PM||1,048||0.3|
|HOW FAR IS TATTOO FAR||MTV||9:32 PM||564||0.3|
|SHAHS OF SUNSET||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,007||0.3|
|INSIDE THE NBA||TNT||1:00 AM||694||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||3,458||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,540||0.3|
|LIVE PD: POLICE PATROL||A&E||9:30 PM||1,028||0.3|
|IMPRACTICAL JOKERS||TRUTV||10:00 PM||535||0.3|
|LIVE PD: POLICE PATROL||A&E||9:00 PM||1,010||0.3|
|THE INGRAHAM ANGLE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||2,798||0.3|
|NBA TIP-OFF||TNT||8:00 PM||775||0.3|
|LIVE PD PRESENTS: PD CAM||A&E||10:32 PM||955||0.3|
|LAST WORD W/ L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,596||0.3|
|ALL IN W/ CHRIS HAYES||MSNBC||8:00 PM||2,259||0.3|
|THE FIVE||FOX NEWS||5:00 PM||2,935||0.3|
|SPECIAL RPT W/ BRET BAIER||FOX NEWS||6:00 PM||2,973||0.3|
- NFL Network took the number one spot on cable rating this past Thursday. THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL rose two tenths week-to-week; the broadcast of the Panthers vs. Steelers game scored a 1.0 among adults 18-49 and brought in 2.83 million viewers.
- NBA Basketball coverage also landed near the top of the list; TNT’s broadcast of the Bucks vs. Warriors game rounded out the top three at 0.6. (The Rockets vs. Thunder game also scored near the top at 0.4).
- Sandwiched between live sports was MTV’s hit JERSEY SHORE: FAMILY VACATION; the show scored a 0.8 for a second week in a row. Also on MTV, HOW FAR IS TOO FAR stayed even at 0.3 and A&E’s LIVE PD PRESENTS: PD CAM was steady with its premiere, posting further 0.3s.
- BUSINESS BRIEFS:
- Global Road’s troubles continue – chairman/CEO Rob Friedman exited on Friday, a mostly expected move.
- Damon Wayans Jr has launched his own production company Two Shakes Entertainment, with a two-year first look deal at CBS TV Studios. The first look covers scripted only, but I mention it because I find the mission of the new company intriguing. Their focus is a commitment to working with diverse voices both in front of and behind the camera, and putting protagonists not normally at the center of the action in leading roles. They’re off to a promising start: GLAMOROUS, a light one hour that has an aura of UGLY BETTY around it has already sold to the CW.
- Finally, sad news true believers: Stan Lee, mastermind behind some of the most enduring and iconic superheroes of the modern era, has passed away at the age of 95. Hollywood Reporter has written a wonderful obituary that I won’t attempt to embellish. Excelsior!