Red Sox clinch 4th World Series title in 14 years, but ratings are down dramatically; HGTV & TLC team up to reboot home redecorating format WHILE YOU WERE OUT
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||4.5/19||3.2/12||0.7/3||0.6/3||0.4/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||17.92||10.62||6.85||3.44||1.19|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Sunday, October 28, 2018
|7 p.m.||NFL Overrun (FOX)||6.7/28||23.54|
|Football Night in America (NBC)||1.3/5||4.56|
|60 Minutes (CBS)||0.8/3||7.82|
|America’s Funniest Home Videos (ABC)||0.8/3||4.91|
|7:30 p.m.||The OT (FOX)||6.4/25||22.16|
|8 p.m.||2018 World Series (FOX) (8-11 p.m.)||3.9/15||14.64|
|SNF Pregame (NBC)||3.1/12||10.16|
|God Friended Me (CBS)||0.7/3||6.98|
|Dancing with the Stars: Juniors (ABC)||0.7/3||3.96|
|Supergirl (The CW)||0.4/2||1.26|
|8:30 p.m.||NFL Football (NBC) (8:20-11:30 p.m.)||4.0/15||12.8|
|9 p.m.||NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)||0.8/3||7.05|
|Shark Tank (ABC)||0.6/3||3.24|
|Charmed (The CW)||0.3/1||1.11|
|10 p.m.||Madam Secretary (CBS)||0.6/3||5.56|
|The Alec Baldwin Show (ABC)||0.3/1||1.65|
- It was a sports-heavy Sunday in America, with both regular season football and World Series Game 5 being broadcast, which resulted in ratings declines on most shows across the networks. However, first up Fox – the night’s overall winner, mostly thanks to a later afternoon NFL overrun that scored a 6.7 going into Game 5 of the Dodgers/Red Sox World Series. The Red Sox clinched the title, but the early 3.9 rating was noticeably down from the preliminary 5.5 that Game 5 of the 2017 series scored. While the early rating will most certainly adjust up a bit in the final, it won’t reverse the downward trend we’ve seen across live sports programming in general.
- Over to NBC, where the Saints vs. Vikings game on SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL is pacing ahead of the World Series, scoring a 4.0 in fast overnights, although whether it stays ahead in the finals is anyone’s guess. The SNF pregame show scored a 3.1 in adults 18-49.
- Across the other networks, most programs suffered a week-to-week loss, with CBS having the sharpest downturn. Freshman drama GOD FRIENDED me was down half a point to an early series low of 0.7, while NCIS: LOS ANGELES (0.8) was down three tenths. MADAM SECRETARY managed to eke out a steady 0.6.
- ABC’s Sunday is continuing to look decidedly week. DANCING WITH THE STARS: JUNIOR was back down a tenth to 0.7, while SHARK TANK tied a series low 0.6. Suprising no one, THE ALEC BALDWIN show continues to slide down, dropping another tenth to 0.3 (don’t get me wrong, I think Alec Baldwin is a pretty good actor, but this “not quite late night” show is just forgettable).
- CW’s Sunday is still producing mixed results, but the numbers in general are not so very different from its M-F primetime performance. SUPERGIRL managed to maintain its 0.4 for another week, but CHARMED (0.3) fell a tenth for a second week in a row.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Thursday, October 25, 2018
|NBA BASKETBALL – NUGGETS/LAKERS||TNT||10:45 PM||1,948||0.9|
|THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL – MIA VS. HOU||NFL NETWORK||8:23 PM||2,247||0.8|
|JERSEY SHORE: FAM VACAY||MTV||8:00 PM||1,248||0.7|
|THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL – SUS||NFL NETWORK||11:22 PM||1,858||0.7|
|NBA BASKETBALL – CELTICS/THUNDER||TNT||8:13 PM||1,477||0.6|
|INSIDE THE NBA||TNT||1:10 AM||908||0.4|
|THURSDAY NIGHT PRE-KICK||NFL NETWORK||8:06 PM||1,076||0.4|
|HOW FAR IS TATTOO FAR||MTV||9:01 PM||606||0.4|
|THURSDAY NIGHT POST-GAME||NFL NETWORK||11:46 PM||852||0.4|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,338||0.3|
|HOW FAR IS TATTOO FAR||MTV||9:32 PM||557||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||3,179||0.3|
|THE INGRAHAM ANGLE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||2,985||0.3|
|THE FIRST 48||A&E||8:00 PM||989||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||796||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,629||0.3|
|THE FIVE||FOX NEWS||5:00 PM||2,804||0.3|
|COLLEGE FOOTBALL PRIME – GEORGIA TECH/VA TECH||ESPN||7:24 PM||968||0.3|
|THE STORY||FOX NEWS||7:00 PM||2,605||0.3|
|MOUNTAIN MEN||HISTORY||9:00 PM||2,023||0.3|
|RETURN SHELBY SWAMP MAN||HISTORY||10:03 PM||1,435||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER EARLY||ESPN||6:00 PM||546||0.3|
|SHAHS OF SUNSET||BRAVO||9:00 PM||792||0.3|
|SPECIAL RPT W/ BRET BAIER||FOX NEWS||6:00 PM||2,667||0.2|
|IMPRACTICAL JOKERS||TRUTV||10:00 PM||448||0.2|
- TNT took the top spot of the night in the Thursday cable ratings; its broadcast of the Lakers vs. Nuggets NBA game posted a 0.9 rating in adults 18-49 with 1.95 million viewers. Just behind TNT, the NFL Network’s broadcast of the Miami vs. Houston THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL game came second with a 0.8, while MTV’s JERSEY SHORE: FAMILY VACATION rounded out the top 3 of the night, even with its previous 0.7.
- Also on MTV, HOW FAR IS TATTOO FAR ticked up slightly from the back-to-back 0.3s it had scored last week to a 0.4 and a 0.3 this time around, once again proving that scheudenfraude is alive and well in reality viewing, no matter what age you are.
- More than a little worryingly, Fox “News” continues to dominate the cable news landscape. In the midst of mail bombs and synagogue shootings, the conservative propaganda mouthpiece of Chief Executive Sociopath Trump captured a total of 6 slots in the top 25, or just under 25% of the list, with a combined audience of 17.58 million eyeballs. If this doesn’t scream Germany, 1936, I really don’t know what else could possibly alert people to the danger of one news perspective dominating the information landscape.
- PROJECTS GREENLIT/ORDERED:
- ABC has given four additional episodes to A MILLION LITTLE THINGS, bringing the freshman dramas initial run up to 17 episodes, and an additional episode to THE CONNERS, bringing its total order up to an odd 11 episodes.
- ABC has also given a further two seasons to AMERICA’S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS, the show’s 30th and 31st More interestingly, the executive producers of AFV have teamed up with original host, comedian Bob Saget, for VIDEOS AFTER DARK, and “edgier” twist on AFV. Sounds more to the tune of Saget’s style, at least (one of the filthiest comics I’ve ever seen perform live – and if you need proof, check out his version of the classic The Aristocrats! joke. You’re welcome). No official word on a time-slot or premiere date yet, but it will be 10pm or later, and most likely starting in the summer.
- TLC & HGTV have teamed up to co-produce a reboot of the home-redecorating format WHILE YOU WERE OUT. Originally airing for 4 seasons on TLC beginning in 2002, the updated version of the show will still center around two sets of homemakers redesigning one room in their neighbor’s house and while their significant others are away for a weekend vacation. New for the remake is that the show will feature both TLC and HGTV designers, and with each network airing their own version of the same episode. Half Yard Entertainment produces, distribution is being handled by Discovery. Production has just gotten underway with a proposed 2019 premiere.