SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL falls to season low on NBC; Netflix cancels LUKE CAGE, renews DISENCHANTMENT; Richard Parsons departs CBS Interim-Chairman position, Strauss Zelnick takes over
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||3.8/15||2.0/8||1.0/5||0.7/3||0.4/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||12.48||12.26||2.52||4.11||1.32|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Sunday, October 21, 2018
|7 p.m.||NFL Overrun (CBS)||5.5/23||21.21|
|Football Night in America (NBC)||1.9/8||6.74|
|The Simpsons (FOX) – R||1.1/5||3.36|
|America’s Funniest Home Videos (ABC)||0.8/3||5.49|
|7:30 p.m.||60 Minutes (CBS)||2.7/11||14.5|
|Bob’s Burgers (FOX) – R||0.9/4||2.13|
|8 p.m.||SNF Pregame (NBC)||3.7/14||11.99|
|The Simpsons (FOX)||1.2/5||2.84|
|Dancing with the Stars: Juniors (ABC)||0.8/3||4.82|
|Supergirl (The CW)||0.4/2||1.33|
|8:30 p.m.||NFL Football (NBC) (8:20-11:30 p.m.)||4.6/18||14.55|
|God Friended Me (CBS)||1.3/5||9.21|
|Bob’s Burgers (FOX)||1.2/5||2.65|
|9 p.m.||Family Guy (FOX)||1.1/5||2.62|
|Shark Tank (ABC)||0.8/3||3.96|
|Charmed (The CW)||0.4/2||1.3|
|9:30 p.m.||NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)||1.1/5||8.14|
|10 p.m.||The Alec Baldwin Show (ABC)||0.4/2||2.19|
|10:30 p.m.||Madam Secretary (CBS)||0.7/3||6.45|
- Most of the networks had an up night, with notable exceptions by NBC and CW. Also, CBS will most likely have larger than usual adjustments due to NFL overrun (as is common this time of year).
- Currently, CBS is sitting on top; even its NFL overrun is up nearly two points from last week, and even with (projected) adjustments, the rest of the shows in its Sunday night lineup will end up above last week’s numbers. As of this morning, 60 MINUTES is up eight tenths, GOD FRIENDED ME (1.3) and NCIS: LA (1.1) are both up two tenths, while MADAM SECRETARY rose a tenth to 0.7.
- In contrast, NBC was down significantly with its SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL lineup. In Week 7 of NFL play, FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA fell seven tenths, while both the pregame show (3.6) and game (4.6) are currently sitting down over a point in preliminary numbers. This is a season low for SNF, down 11% from its previous low in week 4.
- Fox’s animation block rebounded this week: THE SIMPSONS (1.2) is up two tenths, while BOB’s BURGERS (1.2) and FAMILY GUY (1.1) are both up three tenths. REL bounced back up by a tenth, as well, to earn a 0.6.
- Finally, both SUPERGIRL (0.4) and CHARMED (0.4) predictably dipped a tenth in the week after both shows’ premieres.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Thursday, October 18, 2018
|MLB ALCS – RED SOX/ASTROS||TBS||7:59 PM||6,523||1.6|
|NBA BASKETBALL – LAKERS/BLAZERS||TNT||10:47 PM||3,310||1.6|
|INSIDE THE NBA||TNT||1:23 AM||1,424||0.7|
|NBA BASKETBALL – BULLS/76ERS||TNT||8:14 PM||1,555||0.7|
|JERSEY SHORE: FAM VACAY||MTV||8:00 PM||1,106||0.7|
|THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL – DEN VS. ARI||NFL NETWORK||8:23 PM||1,743||0.6|
|INSIDE THE MLB||TBS||11:55 PM||1,780||0.6|
|THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL-SUS||NFL NETWORK||11:09 PM||1,347||0.5|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,812||0.3|
|NBA TIP-OFF||TNT||8:00 PM||947||0.3|
|HOW FAR IS TATTOO FAR||MTV||9:01 PM||485||0.3|
|THE INGRAHAM ANGLE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||3,030||0.3|
|THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL PRE-KICK||NFL NETWORK||8:05 PM||900||0.3|
|IMPRACTICAL JOKERS||TRUTV||10:00 PM||484||0.3|
|MOUNTAIN MEN||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,923||0.3|
|HOW FAR IS TATTOO FAR||MTV||9:32 PM||462||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,777||0.3|
|THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL POST-GAME||NFL NETWORK||11:27 PM||603||0.3|
|SHAHS OF SUNSET||BRAVO||9:00 PM||851||0.3|
|NIGHTWATCH NATION||A&E||10:01 PM||804||0.3|
|THE FIRST 48||A&E||9:00 PM||830||0.2|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,551||0.2|
|FLIP OR FLOP ATLANTA||HOME||9:30 PM||1129||0.2|
|FLIP OR FLOP ATLANTA||HOME||9:00 PM||1,073||0.2|
|MLB ON DECK PREGAME SHOW||TBS||7:00 PM||842||0.2|
- It was another sports-heavy night in the Thursday cable ratings this week. TBS led the night with its broadcast of the Astros vs. Red Sox MLB game scoring a 1.6 in adults 18-49 and 6.52 million viewers, virtually double that of TNT’s Lakers vs. Trailblazers NBA broadcast (3.310 million viewers, and matching 1.6 rating). TNT’s broadcast of the earlier Bulls vs. 76ers game rounded out the top three, but scored a much lower 0.7.
- On MTV, JERSEY SHORE: FAMILY VACATION held steady with another 0.7. HOW FAR IS TATTOO FAR also managed to maintain the back-to-back 0.3s that its premiere scored a week ago.
- Elsewhere, Bravo’s SHAHS OF SUNSETticked up one-tenth from a 0.2 to a 0.3, while A&E’s THE FIRST 48 (0.2) stayed even week-to-week.
- PROJECTS GREENLIT/ORDERED:
- CBS has given full season orders to three freshman shows; drama GOD FRIENDED ME has performed solidly stateside, as has new comedy THE NEIGHBORHOOD. The network also gave a full season go-ahead to MAGNUM PI, which irritates me (the show is ridiculous), but the numbers don’t lie: it’s still a 50% improvement in ratings over last year’s low rated comedies in the same timeslot, and it sells well internationally.
- Following several other digital platforms’ leads, Facebook Watch has commissioned UK indie Barcroft Media to launch MOST INCREDIBLE HOMES. The format is fairly standard: each of the five 12-minute episodes will showcase three dream homes and their owners from around the world. The only real add-on to make it a “Facebook” show is a small degree of interactivity: those choosing to participate in the “Most Incredible Homes” community on the platform will use the site’s new video polling feature to vote for their most favorite homes, ultimately crowning “the most incredible” home at the end of the season. Be still my heart.
- BUSINESS BRIEFS:
- Just under a month after taking the job as interim-Chairman of the CBS Corporate board of directors, Richard Parsons is departing, citing health reasons as the cause of the precipitous departure. Strauss Zelnick (currently CEO and Chairman of Take-Two Interactive Software / [Grand Theft Auto]) takes over for Parsons immediately.
- In a flurry of activity over the weekend, Netflix continued making programming decisions, opting to cancel a second Marvel superhero show, the critically acclaimed LUKE CAGE, while opting to take on the so-so DISENCHANTMENT. From a creative perspective, it feels like a real loss, but reports cite mounting issues in the Cage writing room, and executives had major issues with the season three scripts that were turned in last week. Deadline has an excellent breakdown of how the show went from a lock on a third season to canceled – read it HERE.