CW has solid Sunday primetime premieres for both SUPERGIRL and CHARMED; Fox buys BIG BOUNCE BATTLE from Endemol Shine
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||5.0/19||1.5/7||0.8/3||0.7/3||0.5/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||16.06||9.15||2.2||4.03||1.53|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Sunday, October 14, 2018
|7 p.m.||NFL Overrun (CBS)||3.6/16||14.39|
|Football Night in America (NBC)||2.6/11||8.86|
|The Simpsons (FOX) – R||1.0/5||3.18|
|America’s Funniest Home Videos (ABC)||0.9/4||5.69|
|7:30 p.m.||60 Minutes (CBS)||1.9/8||11.29|
|The Cool Kids (FOX) – R||0.7/3||2.18|
|8 p.m.||SNF Pregame (NBC)||5.0/19||16.13|
|The Simpsons (FOX)||1.0/5||2.51|
|Dancing with the Stars: Juniors (ABC)||0.7/3||4.57|
|Supergirl (The CW) – P||0.5/2||1.53|
|8:30 p.m.||NFL Football (NBC) (8:20-11:30 p.m.)||6.1/22||18.43|
|God Friended Me (CBS)||1.1/5||7.99|
|Bob’s Burgers (FOX)||0.9/4||2.05|
|9 p.m.||Family Guy (FOX)||0.8/3||1.93|
|Shark Tank (ABC)||0.7/3||3.69|
|Charmed (The CW) – P||0.5/2||1.54|
|9:30 p.m.||NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)||0.9/4||7.35|
|10 p.m.||The Alec Baldwin Show (ABC) – P||0.4/2||2.17|
|10:30 p.m.||Madam Secretary (CBS)||0.6/3||5.59|
- Starting with CW again, as it kicks off its first Sunday of primetime scripted programming. First up, SUPERGIRL, which brought in a 0.5 among 18-49s, even with last year’s premiere and average. Following in the 9pm hour was the series premiere of the CHARMED reboot (or as I keep seeing it referred to all over Instagram and Twitter “woke Charmed”). Buzz around the show has been somewhat divided fandom wise, but critically it’s been getting solid reviews, and the first episode retained 100% of the SUPERGIRL lead-in, also scoring a 0.5 and showed a slight uptick in audience from hour-to-hour (1.53 to 1.54 million).
- Circling back to the top performer of the evening, it’s no surprise that NBC once again landed on top; it’s all football lineup ranged from a seven-tenths week-to-week increase for FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA (2.6), SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL PREGAME (5.0) posted a six-tenths increase, and the game between the Patriots and Chiefs grabbed an early 6.1 rating among 18-49s, up half a point from last week.
- And on the other side of the spectrum, Fox took quite a tumble without football to bolster its animation dominated Sunday. THE SIMPSONS was the hardest hit, dropping eight tenths from a 1.8 to 1.0 this week, while BOB’s BURGER (0.9) and FAMILY GUY (0.8) all fell off from their football-fueled ratings last week; BB dropped 3 tenths and FG was off by four tenths. New comedy REL continues to sink, dropping another two tenths this week to settle at 0.5.
- ABC had an OK evening; long running AMERICA’S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS (0.9) and SHARK TANK (0.7) each ticked up by two and one tenth, respectively, while DANCING WITH THE STARS: JUNIORS maintained its 0.7 rating in the second week on air. Later on, the premiere of THE ALEC BALDWIN SHOW hit a sour note, debuting to a poor 0.4 and 2.17 million viewers, failing to match even TEN DAYS IN THE VALLEY (arguably the worst new show of ABC’s 2017-18 season).
- Finally, on CBS, it was a mixed bag. An NFL overrun resulted in an inflated 1.9 for 60 MINUTES, which will almost certainly adjust down in the finals, despite airing a second interview with Trump (bad news for the walking bag of maggots, ratings-wise; even this inflated number is half that of the 3.6 he grabbed around the same time in 2016. Sad!). GOD FRIENDED ME grew week to week, ticking up two tenths to 1.1, while NCIS: LA was up a tenth at 0.9. MADAM SECRETARY matched its premiere number of 0.6.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Thursday, October 11, 2018
|THU NIGHT FOOTBALL: 2018 WK 6 PHI VS. NYG||NFL NETWORK||8:23 PM||2,976||1.1|
|THU NIGHT FOOTBALL||NFL NETWORK||11:13 PM||2,499||0.9|
|JERSEY SHORE: FAMILY VACATION||MTV||8:00 PM||1,146||0.7|
|THU NIGHT PRE-KICK||NFL NETWORK||8:06 PM||1,562||0.5|
|THU NIGHT POST-GAME||NFL NETWORK||11:39 PM||1,193||0.5|
|HOW FAR IS TATTOO FAR||MTV||9:02 PM||610||0.3|
|SHAHS OF SUNSET||BRAVO||9:00 PM||988||0.3|
|COLLEGE FOOTBALL PRIME L: TEXAS TECH/TCU||ESPN||7:24 PM||1,233||0.3|
|HOW FAR IS TATTOO FAR||MTV||9:34 PM||540||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,561||0.3|
|THU NIGHT PREGAME||NFL NETWORK||7:30 PM||850||0.3|
|DAILY SHOW||COMEDY CENTRAL||11:00 PM||822||0.3|
|THE FIVE||FOX NEWS||5:00 PM||2,807||0.3|
|TO CATCH A KILLER||INVEST||10:00 PM||986||0.3|
|NFL TOTAL ACCESS||NFL NETWORK||12:08 AM||610||0.3|
|LOUD HOUSE||NICKELODEON||6:00 PM||1,148||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||769||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||3,000||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,132||0.3|
|THE INGRAHAM ANGLE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||2,668||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER EARLY||ESPN||6:00 PM||538||0.3|
|IMPRACTICAL JOKERS||TRUTV||10:00 PM||522||0.3|
|SPECIAL RPT W/ BRET BAIER||FOX NEWS CHANNEL||6:00 PM||2,620||0.2|
|MOUNTAIN MEN||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,923||0.2|
|BEAT B.FLAY||FOOD||10:00 PM||804||0.2|
- As per usual this time of year, THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL topped the cable list once again; the game between the NY Giants and Philadelphia Eagles scored a 1.1 in adults 18-49 and 2.98 million viewers overall for the NFL network, and up a tenth to boot. An over-run of the game captured the number two spot as well, bringing in a 0.9. Rounding out the top three was MTV’s JERSEY SHORE FAMILY VACATION, which bounced back up a tenth to earn a 0.7 this week.
- Elsewhere, Bravo’s SHAHS OF SUNSET returned from a week off with a 0.2, down a tenth from its last episode. MSNBC’s RACHEL MADDOW SHOW led cable news for the night in the 18-49 demo with a 0.3, but HANNITY on Fox News continues to capture the wider audience (to my continued horror and dismay), grabbing 3.13 million viewers during the same hour.
- Let’s go back to MTV for a moment and talk about HOW FAR IS TATTOO FAR? The show kicked off to a decent start, with back-to-back episodes scoring 0.3s. The entire premise of the show is about putting a tattoo on your friend’s or loved one’s body without them seeing until reveal – and because this is MTV (and America), the contestants are predictably cruel, immature, and not exactly…long-term thinkers. Check out the entire episode HERE, if you’d like, but I suggest watching on mute. Seriously.
- DEVELOPMENT NEWS:
- See ya, IRON FIST. Arguably the worst series the comic-book studio has put into production, Netflix has canceled the show, a first for the Marvel/Netflix content partnership. While out of the streaming giant, remember that Disney now count Marvel Studios among its portfolio of assets, and the show may be in consideration for continuation when Disney launches its streaming service in 2019.
- On the heels of Damon Wayans’ announcement that he was leaving the show, Fox has gone ahead with its 2-episode back order of LETHAL WEAPON, with Wayans set to appear (from all accounts, there were a flurry of negotiations and adjustments made to the schedule to accommodate Wayans’ health and fatigue concerns).
- PROJECTS GREENLIT/ORDERED:
- Fox has commissioned a stateside version of BIG BOUNCE BATTLE, a German format created by Endemol Shine Netherlands and to be produced by Endemol Shine North America. While I recommend watching both the SIZZLE REEL and GERMAN CLIP for the sheer entertainment value, all you need to know is that this is basically AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR on trampolines. Contestants all run the same gauntlet, with the fastest times advancing to tackle progressively more difficult trampoline tracks. It’s a good bet for Fox, which continues to ramp up its unscripted/competition portfolio (it previously ordered 3 game shows over the summer); the German version of the show averaged 3.14 million viewers with a 9.8% market share, and the best performing new game show in four years (14-49 demo) on RTL.