BIG BROTHER wins in ratings but AMERICA’S GOT TALENT pulls largest audience on Wednesday; Netflix expands unscripted slate
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.3/7||1.0/5||0.8/4||0.6/3||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||6.57||3.28||3.82||3.2||0.75|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, August 22, 2018
|8 p.m.||Big Brother (CBS)||1.6/8||5.66|
|America’s Got Talent (NBC)||1.5/8||9.53|
|Masterchef (FOX) (8-10 p.m.)||1.0/5||3.28|
|The Goldbergs (ABC) – R||0.5/2||2.61|
|Burden of Truth (The CW)||0.2/1||0.86|
|8:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC) – R||0.5/2||2.18|
|9 p.m.||World of Dance (NBC) (9-11 p.m.)||1.2/5||5.1|
|The Story of the Royals (ABC) (9-11 p.m.) – P||0.6/3||4|
|SEAL Team (CBS) – R||0.5/2||2.9|
|Supergirl (The CW) – R||0.1/1||0.63|
|10 p.m.||Criminal Minds (CBS) – R||0.5/2||2.91|
- CBS had the highest rated show of the night (barely) with BIG BROTHER, earning the same 1.6 it earned last week, and a slight audience dip from 5.82 to 5.66 million overall. Close behind in rating and far ahead in audience was NBC’s AMERICA’S GOT TALENT. The Simon Cowell fronted variety show pulled a 1.5 in 18-49s (same as last week) and 9.53 million viewers.
- Later on NBC, WORLD OF DANCE had its best Wednesday broadcast to date, ticking up a tenth to 1.2 last night, and staying mostly steady with viewers (5.1 million this week versus 5.21 million last Wednesday).
- On Fox, a two-hour MASTERCHEF earning a 1.0 throughout the broadcast, a tenth up from the 8pm hour MASTERCHEF last week and even with the finale of 24 HOURS TO HELL AND BACK.
- A two-hour ABC special THE STORY OF THE ROYALS scored a 0.6 in 18-49 and 4 million viewers, while BURDEN OF TRUTH on the CW exactly matched its rating and audience from last week (0.2/860,000K).
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, August 21, 2018
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,437||0.8|
|CHALLENGE: FINAL RECKONING||MTV||9:00 PM||844||0.5|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,893||0.5|
|MIZ & MRS||USA||10:00 PM||1,235||0.5|
|BELOW DECK MEDITERRANEAN||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,396||0.5|
|HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS||OWN||9:00 PM||1,902||0.4|
|DEADLIEST CATCH||DISCOVERY||9:01 PM||1,562||0.4|
|ANIMAL KINGDOM||TNT||9:00 PM||1,367||0.4|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||1,612||0.4|
|CUOMO PRIME TIME||CNN||9:00 PM||1,826||0.4|
|LAST WORD W/L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||3,339||0.4|
|CNN TONIGHT||CNN||10:00 PM||1,779||0.4|
|FORGED IN FIRE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,140||0.3|
|DEVIL SPEAKS, THE||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,269||0.3|
|CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST||USA||10:31 PM||1,055||0.3|
|FEAR FACTOR||MTV||10:01 PM||594||0.3|
|MARRIED AT FIRST ST||LIFETIME||9:00 PM||938||0.3|
|SITUATION ROOM||CNN||6:00 PM||1,574||0.3|
|HARD KNOCKS 18||HBO||10:00 PM||634||0.3|
|ALL IN W/CHRIS HAYES||MSNBC||8:00 PM||2,658||0.3|
|ERIN BURNETT OUTFRONT||CNN||7:00 PM||1,307||0.3|
|STORY, THE||FOX NEWS||7:00 PM||2,732||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||3,133||0.3|
- USA’s “WWE Smackdown” led the top 25 again, up a tenth from its previous 0.7 to a 0.8. MTV’s “The Challenge: Final Reckoning” maintained a 0.5 for the second week in a row. USA’s “Miz & Mrs.” was even with another 0.5 as well.
- ANIMAL KINGDOM closed out its third season in steady fashion. The TNT crime series scored a 0.4 rating in adults 18-49 with its finale episode last night, even with its season average, and steady in total viewers week-to-week with 1.37 million. On Bravo, BELOW DECK MEDITERRANEAN took a minor hit, falling one-tenth to a 0.5.
- Tuesday was also a bull night for cable news, thanks to the “guilty” verdict and plea from ex-Trump staffer Paul Manafort and Michael Cohen. Rachel Maddow topped the pack, with a 0.5 and 3.89 million viewers, the second largest audience in the show’s history.
- DEVELOPMENT NEWS:
- BEWITCHED | Reboot | Single camera comedy | Davis Entertainment | Sony Pictures TV, ABC Studios | ABC
Log Line: Samantha, a hardworking black single mom who happens to be a witch, marries Darren, a white mortal who happens to be a bit of a slacker. They struggle to navigate their differences as she discovers that even when a black girl is literally magic, she’s still not as powerful as a decently tall white man with a full head of hair in America.
- Modernized reboot of the classic TV comedy from the 60s
- Kenya Barris (Blackish) co-wrote and sold the project with fellow Black-ish writer/producer Yamara Taylor just prior to his departure from his overall at ABC Studios to Netflix
- PROJECTS GREENLIT/ORDERED:
- REEF BREAK | 13×60 | Crime Drama | M6, ABC Studios International | ABC | Summer 2019
Log Line: Cat Chambers, a thief turned fixer for the Governor of a stunning and seductive Pacific Island paradise. Impulsive, reckless, and irresistible, Cat’s less-than-perfect past gives her an instinctive gift for understanding crime and criminals as she becomes enmeshed in fast-paced, high octane adventures and island intrigue.
- Stars Poppy Montgomery as Cat Chambers
- Executive Producer/Showrunner is Ken Sanzel (Numb3rs)
- Netflix announced an expansion of its unscripted slate, adding several new originals to its lineup for Q4 2018 and into 2019:
- THE FINAL TABLE | Cooking Competition | theoldschool | Q4 2018
Format: A global culinary competition series that features the world’s most renowned chefs fighting for a spot at the top table. The series features 12 teams of two chefs from around the world cooking the national dishes of Mexico, Spain, England, Brazil, France, Japan, the U.S., India and Italy. Each episode focuses on a different country and its cuisine.
- Show will be presented by Andrew Knowlton, Bon Appétit’s editor-at-large
- Each episode will feature celebrity chefs from the region the episode highlights
- DEATH BY MAGIC | History/docuseries | A. Smith & Co | Q4 2018
Format: British magician Drummond Money-Coutts is on a mission to uncover the stories of magicians who died performing the most dangerous stunts ever attempted. He travels the world to track down where the fatal performances took place and to work out exactly what went wrong.
- FLINCH | Action game show | Stellify Media
Format: Set on a remote farm in Ireland where brave and foolish contestants gather to test their nerve against three fiendish games. If they flinch, there are painful consequences both for them, and for our hosts, who have each chosen a player to represent them in the games.
- Hosted by comedians Desiree Burch, Lloyd Griffith and Seann Walsh
- BUSINESS BRIEFS: