BIG BROTHER squeaks past AMERICA’S GOT TALENT for primetime ratings win; USA cancels SHOOTER after 3 seasons; MGM & Wanda Sykes team up for new comedy docuseries UNPROTECTED SETS
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.2/6||1.0/5||0.8/4||0.5/2||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||6.68||3.26||3.85||2.23||0.77|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, August 15, 2018
|8 p.m.||Big Brother (CBS)||1.6/8||5.82|
|America’s Got Talent (NBC)||1.5/8||9.63|
|The Goldbergs (ABC) – R||0.6/3||2.9|
|Burden of Truth (The CW)||0.2/1||0.86|
|8:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC) – R||0.5/2||2.2|
|9 p.m.||World of Dance (NBC) (9-11 p.m.)||1.1/5||5.21|
|Gordon Ramsay’s 24 Hours to Hell and Back (FOX) – F||1.0/5||3.19|
|Modern Family (ABC) – R||0.6/3||2.3|
|SEAL Team (CBS) – R||0.4/2||2.82|
|Supergirl (The CW) – R||0.2/1||0.68|
|9:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC) – R||0.4/2||1.92|
|10 p.m.||Shark Tank (ABC) – R||0.5/2||1.81|
|Criminal Minds (CBS) – R||0.4/2||2.91|
- CBS’ BIG BROTHER squeaked by with a win Wednesday night, narrowly beating out AMERICA’S GOT TALENT on NBC. The CBS reality show scored the same 1.6 rating in preliminary ratings that it earned in finals last week, and brought in 5.82 million viewers.
- Right behind in ratings (as mentioned) was NBC’s AMERICA’S GOT TALENT, scoring a 1.5 for the night, and far outpacing Brother in total audience, with 9.63 million watching (the most of the evening). Later on, WORLD OF DANCE scored a steady 1.1, despite being pushed back an hour on the schedule.
- Fox split the difference with its Ramsey lineup; MASTERCHEF faltered slightly, dipping a tenth to 0.9 this week, while 24 HOURS TO HELL AND BACK rose to 1.0 for the final episode of its first season (it was renewed for a second season earlier this summer).
- On CW, BURDEN OF TRUTH recovered from its dip last week, bouncing back a tenth to earn a 0.2 in 18-49s.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, August 14, 2018
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,189||0.7|
|BELOW DECK MEDITERRANEAN||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,488||0.6|
|MIZ & MRS||USA||10:00 PM||1,162||0.5|
|HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS||OWN||9:00 PM||1,916||0.5|
|CHALLENGE: FINAL RECKONING||MTV||9:00 PM||748||0.5|
|CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST||USA||10:31 PM||1,169||0.4|
|DEADLIEST CATCH||DISCOVERY||9:01 PM||1,565||0.4|
|FORGED IN FIRE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,262||0.4|
|ANIMAL KINGDOM||TNT||9:00 PM||1,374||0.4|
|DARK WATERS: MURDER IN DEEP||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,112||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,900||0.3|
|HARD KNOCKS 18||HBO||10:00 PM||590||0.3|
|LOVE IS||OWN||10:00 PM||980||0.3|
|COUNTING CARS||HISTORY||10:03 PM||1,061||0.3|
|COUNTING CARS||HISTORY||10:33 PM||1,040||0.3|
|DESERT FLIPPERS||HOME||9:00 PM||1,229||0.3|
|MILLION DOLLAR LISTING||BRAVO||10:00 PM||818||0.3|
|MURDER BY NUMBERS||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,003||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,441||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||2,916||0.3|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||1,151||0.3|
|CHOPPED GRILL MASTERS||FOOD||9:00 PM||818||0.2|
|YOUNGER||TV LAND||10:00 PM||742||0.2|
- USA’s WWE SMACKDOWN held onto the top spot of the night with a 0.7 for the second week in a row. BELOW DECK MEDITERRANEAN followed closely behind in the number two position, steady with another 0.6, while recently renewed MIS & MRS maintained its previous 0.5, rounding out the top three.
- THE CHALLENGE: FINAL RECKONING ticked up one-tenth from a 0.4 to a 0.5, and TNT’s ANIMAL KINGDOM maintained its season-long 0.4 streak.
- OWN’s midseason premiere of THE HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS earned a 0.5, even with its last episode back in July, while LOVE IS rose a tenth to 0.3.
- Finally, in cable news, Maddow on MSNBC continues to best Hannity (Fox News) in rating, while the latter still manages to draw more eyeballs (shouty, simplistic scare tactics apparently still appeal to a vast swath of Americans).
- BREAKING NEWS:
- Once one of the highest rated new dramas on USA, SHOOTER has been cancelled by the network after three seasons. While the series was a breakout hit (particularly in the heartland) in late 2016, the drama starring Ryan Phillipe has dropped to being one of USA’s lowest rated shows, and dropping under 500,000 viewers in L+SD metrics. Paramount TV, the series’ lead producer is currently shopping the series, with Paramount Network being the natural to potentially pick up the show. However, considering Shooter’s tepid audience numbers and lukewarm reviews, I have a hard time seeing PN making a new deal for the show, after riding high on the critical and ratings success of both YELLOWSTONE and WACO.
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T Aretha – the Queen of Soul passed away from a lengthy battle with pancreatic cancer early this morning.
- PROJECTS GREENLIT/ORDERED:
- UNPROTECTED SETS | Late night docuseries | MGM Television | EPIX
12×60 | Premiere: 5 October 2018
Log Line: Shooting in Portland, San Diego, D.C., Minneapolis and Atlanta, each episode presents a compelling portrait of a comedian on the verge of breaking out to become the next big name in comedy. The diverse lineup of breakout talent offers insights into the motivations behind baring one’s soul for a living. Their dynamic, personal, and hilarious performances – where nothing is off limits – will show us exactly how, in their own inimitable way, each comedian turns life into art.
- Comedienne Wanda Sykes executive produces alongside Page Hurwitz (Push It Productions) and Barry Poznick (MGM)