BIG BROTHER tops primetime once again while CMA Fest tumbles from 2017 rating; Tribune drops Sinclair merger and slaps company with $1B USD breach of contract suit
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.0/5||0.9/5||0.9/5||0.8/4||0.1/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||3.34||3.82||4.72||3.67||0.69|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, August 8, 2018
|8 p.m.||Big Brother (CBS)||1.5/6||5.6|
|World of Dance (NBC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.1/5||4.71|
|CMA Fest (ABC) (8-11 p.m.) – S||0.9/5||4.72|
|Burden of Truth (The CW)||0.1/1||0.82|
|9 p.m.||Gordon Ramsay’s 24 Hours to Hell and Back (FOX)||0.9/5||3.02|
|SEAL Team (CBS) – R||0.4/2||2.64|
|Supergirl (The CW) – R||0.1/1||0.57|
|10 p.m.||Criminal Minds (CBS) – R||0.5/2||2.77|
|Reverie (NBC) – F||0.4/2||2.03|
- BIG BROTHER took the top spot in primetime ratings on Wednesday, as it has most weeks this summer. The show grabbed a 1.5 among adults 18-49, same as last week.
- In comparison, ABC’s annual 3-hour CMA FEST scored a 0.9, down three tenths from its 1.2 rating last year.
- Elsewhere on primetime, both Gordon Ramsay series were up on Fox; MASTERCHEF rose by a tenth to 1.0, while 24 HOURS TO HELL AND BACK returned even at 0.9 after a week off.
- NBC had a steady night, both WORLD OF DANCE (1.1) and the finale of REVERIE (0.4) were even with last week. BURDEN OF TRUTH on CW fell a tenth, scraping a mere 0.1 this week.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, August 7, 2018
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,197||0.7|
|BELOW DECK MEDITERRANEAN||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,439||0.5|
|MIZ & MRS||USA||10:00 PM||1,225||0.5|
|ANIMAL KINGDOM||TNT||9:00 PM||1,444||0.4|
|CHALLENGE: FINAL RECKONING||MTV||9:00 PM||647||0.4|
|DEADLIEST CATCH||DISCOVERY||9:01 PM||1,529||0.4|
|CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST||USA||10:31 PM||1,107||0.4|
|DARK WATERS: MRDR IN DEEP||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,315||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,068||0.3|
|MARRIED AT FIRST ST||LIFETIME||9:00 PM||938||0.3|
|CUOMO PRIME TIME||CNN||9:00 PM||1,329||0.3|
|HARD KNOCKS 18||HBO||10:00 PM||667||0.3|
|DESERT FLIPPERS||HOME||9:00 PM||1,139||0.3|
|CNN TONIGHT||CNN||10:00 PM||1,317||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,158||0.3|
|FORGED IN FIRE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||950||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:30 PM||1,308||0.3|
|YOUNGER||TV LAND||10:00 PM||786||0.3|
|HIDDEN POTENTIAL||HOME||10:00 PM||1,229||0.3|
|COUNTING CARS||HISTORY||10:03 PM||1,008||0.3|
|CHOPPED GRILL MASTERS||FOOD||9:00 PM||890||0.3|
|MURDER COMES TO TOWN||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,167||0.3|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||1,164||0.3|
- USA’s WWE SMACKDOWN held onto the top spot of the night in the Tuesday cable ratings this week, scoring a 0.7 rating in adults 18-49, down a tenth from its previous 0.8. Bravo’s DELOW DECK MEDITERRANEAN managed to climb into the number two spot, despite also slipping from a 0.6 to a 0.5. USA’s MIZ & MRS rounded out the top 3 of the night, earning a 0.5 for the second week in a row.
- After taking a hit last week, MTV’s THE CHALLENGE: FINAL RECKONING held steady with another 0.4.
- TNT’s ANIMAL KINGDOM yet again maintained its 0.4 streak.
- PROJECTS GREENLIT/ORDERED:
- UPDATE: Teaser for INSIDE THE MANSON CULT: THE LOST TAPES is HERE; our contacts at Fox are working on sending tape; I will send along as soon as it’s received.
- JUST TATTOO OF US | MTV | Based on an MTV International format
Log Line: Puts relationships through the ultimate experiment of trust by asking pairs of friends, family members and couples to design tattoos for each other that won’t be revealed until after they’ve been permanently inked.
- Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi (Jersey Shore) & Nico Tortorella (Younger) have closed deals to host the US version of the show
- Big Fish Entertainment produces
- Originally aired on MTV UK in April 2017 and is one of MTV’s top-rated international show
- BUSINESS BRIEFS:
- The protracted merger talks and negotiations between Sinclair and Tribune Media have come to an ignominious end, and a $1 billion USD lawsuit slapped against Sinclair by Tribune for breach of contract, stating, “In an effort to maintain control over stations it was obligated to sell if advisable to obtain regulatory clearance, Sinclair engaged in belligerent and unnecessarily protracted negotiations with DOJ and the FCC over regulatory requirements, refused to sell stations in the ten specified markets required to obtain approval, and proposed aggressive divestment structures and related-party sales that were either rejected outright or posed a high risk of rejection and delay – all in the service of Sinclair’s self-interest and in derogation of its contractual obligations.”