BACHELORETTE wins night but ratings are down week-to-week; Comedy Central scores win with Roast of Bruce Willis; Fox looks to reboot 24…again; ITV close to closing a deal to bring dating format LOVE ISLAND to the US
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.1/5||1.0/5||0.5/2||0.5/2||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||4.67||5.05||3.43||2.27||1.15|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Monday, July 30, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Bachelorette (ABC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.3/5||5.44|
|American Ninja Warrior (NBC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.1/5||5.27|
|Mom (CBS) – R||0.6/3||4.25|
|So You Think You Can Dance (FOX)||0.6/3||2.6|
|Penn & Teller: Fool Us (The CW)||0.3/1||1.41|
|8:30 p.m.||Life in Pieces (CBS) – R||0.5/2||3.47|
|9 p.m.||9-1-1 (FOX) – R||0.4/2||1.95|
|Whose Line Is It Anyway? (The CW)||0.3/1||1.06|
|9:30 p.m.||Whose Line Is It Anyway? (The CW) – R||0.2/1||0.98|
|10 p.m.||Dateline (NBC)||0.8/4||4.61|
|The Proposal (ABC)||0.7/3||3.11|
- THE BACHELORETTE once again came out on top for Monday, but dipped slightly for its usual “Men Tell All” episode. The dating show was down two tenths from last week’s initial rating, earning a 1.3 among 18-49s for the week. Later on, a new installment of THE PROPOSAL was even at 0.7.
- The rest of the field was relatively steady week-to-week, with AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR showing the most gain, up a tenth from last week to 1.1 and delivered its most watched episode of the season, with 5.27 million viewers. DATELINE earned its usual 0.8.
- Both Fox and CW had steady Mondays, with SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE putting up another 0.6, and PENN & TELLER: FOOL US and WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? earning their standard 0.3s.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Sunday, July 29, 2018
|COMEDY CENTRAL ROAST: BRUCE WILLIS||COMEDY||10:00 pm||1,765||0.8|
|90 DAY FIANCE HEA: TELL A: N/A||TLC||8:00 pm||2,139||0.7|
|NAKED AND AFRAID: N/A||DISCOVERY||9:00 pm||1,992||0.7|
|90 DAY FIANCE: WHAT NOW||TLC||10:07 pm||1,622||0.5|
|POWER 5||STARZ||8:01 pm||1,354||0.5|
|NASCAR CUP SERIES RACE||NBC SPORTS||2:58 pm||2,749||0.5|
|FOOD NETWORK STAR||FOOD||9:00 pm||1,551||0.4|
|MLB SUNDAY NIGHT||ESPN||9:22 pm||1,515||0.4|
|CARIBBEAN LIFE||HOME||9:00 pm||1,804||0.4|
|JEFF ROSS ROAST BATTLE||COMEDY||12:00 am||810||0.4|
|BEACHFRONT BARGAIN HUNT||HOME||8:30 pm||1,847||0.4|
|NASCAR CUP SERIES POST||NBC SPORTS||6:13 pm||1,801||0.4|
|HAWAII LIFE||HOME||10:00 pm||1,726||0.3|
|CARIBBEAN LIFE||HOME||9:30 pm||1,693||0.3|
|LAST WEEK TONIGHT||HBO||11:01 pm||920||0.3|
|FN STAR SPECIAL||FOOD||8:00 pm||1,282||0.3|
|ON THE CASE WITH PZ||INVEST||10:00 pm||1,378||0.3|
|HAWAII LIFE||HOME||10:30 pm||1,655||0.3|
|NASCAR CUP SERIES START||NBC SPORTS||2:33 pm||1,856||0.3|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF POTOMAC||BRAVO||8:00 pm||856||0.3|
|BEACHFRONT BARGAIN HUNT||HOME||8:00 pm||1,538||0.3|
|BEAT B.FLAY||FOOD||10:00 pm||1,000||0.3|
|TOTAL BELLAS||E!||9:00 pm||617||0.3|
|BASEBALL RAIN DELAY L||ESPN||8:00 pm||965||0.3|
- Comedy Central’s ROAST OF BRUCE WILLIS scored the top spot of the night in the Sunday cable ratings with a 0.8 rating in adults 18-49 and 1.77 million viewers. 90 DAY FIANCE on TLC and NAKED & AFRAID on Discovery rounded out the top three, both with 0.7s.
- On Starz, POWER was down another tenth to a 0.5, as was TNT’s CLAWS, which fell to a 0.4 this time around.
- NBC Sports Network’s broadcast of the NASCAR GANDER OUTDOORS 400 race landed high with a 0.5 and 2.75 million viewers.
- DEVELOPMENT NEWS:
- Showrunner Howard Gordon is working on yet another iteration of the 24 franchise. The newest incarnation will most likely be a Jack Bauer origin story (hmm, trying to compete with Amazon’s Jack Ryan and its character’s origin story much?). Co-creators Joel Surnow and Bob Cochran are also signed on to the active development, which is currently sitting with 20th TV and Imagine TV.
- On the heels of LOVE ISLAND’s breakout success in the UK and several other countries, ITV is on the verge of closing a new deal to remake the format in the US. The show’s UK series is already shown on Hulu, and a deal earlier in the year for MTV to produce 20 episodes fell through after a management change.
- PROJECTS GREENLIT/ORDERED:
- HBO has graced UK writer-producer Steven Moffat ( Who, Sherlock) with a straight to series order adaptation of best-selling novel THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE. Moffat is currently writing episodes; a production start date is not yet set.
- BUSINESS BRIEFS:
- In the wake of CBS Chief Les Moonves being accused of sexual harassment, speculation is already beginning to swirl around who may be in a position to replace him, should Moonves either choose to step down or be removed as the investigation progresses forward. Variety rates the pros and cons of the six potential contenders HERE.
- YouTube has prioritized Germany, Japan, Mexico, France, and India as key targets for original programming made from a local perspective. The push is an effort to compete with Amazon and Netflix, also investing in local language programming for online audiences. YouTube hopes the push will bolster their paid subscription service, Premium (fka Red).
- Content will cover music documentaries, scripted, reality, and talk series