ESPY’s down half a point from 2017 but delivers a powerful message with Arthur Ashe Courage Award; latest breakdown of live versus streaming viewing for the US market
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.0/5||1.0/5||0.9/5||0.5/2||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||4.65||3.39||3.94||2.7||0.58|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, July 18, 2018
|8 p.m.||Big Brother (CBS)||1.4/6||5.21|
|The ESPYS (ABC) (8-11 p.m.) – S||0.9/5||3.94|
|Ellen’s Game of Games (NBC) – R||0.7/3||4.03|
|Girl Got Game (The CW) – S||0.1/1||0.47|
|9 p.m.||Gordon Ramsay’s 24 Hours to Hell and Back (FOX)||1.0/5||3.25|
|TKO: Total Knock Out (CBS)||0.8/4||3.43|
|World of Dance (NBC) – R||0.5/2||2.4|
|The Originals (The CW)||0.2/1||0.68|
|10 p.m.||Code Black (CBS) – F||0.7/3||5.33|
- BIG BROTHER on CBS won a mostly sleepy night on broadcast, earning a 1.4 for the night, down a tenth from last week. Largest total audience went to another CBS show, CODE BLACK, which had 5.33 million watching the series finale. However, its final score was down a tenth from last week’s 0.8, earning a 0.7 for the series ender. Sandwiched between the two was TKO, which dropped a tenth from its premiere last week to earn a 0.8, and saw its audience shrink by 14%.
- ABC aired the ESPY awards last night, which earned an average of 0.9 across the 3-hour broadcast, down half a point from the 1.4 it earned in 2017.
- On Fox, both MASTERCHEF and GORDAN RAMSAY: 24 HOURS TO HELL AND BACK each ticked up a tenth to earn a pair of 1.0s this week, while REVERIE on NBC put up another steady 0.4.
- CW aired a 1-hour esports special, GIRL GOT GAME, to the tune of a 0.1 and 470,000 viewers, while THE ORIGINALS dropped a tenth this week to 0.2.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – July 17, 2018
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,293||0.7|
|HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS||OWN||9:00 PM||2,207||0.5|
|CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST||USA||10:00 PM||1,537||0.5|
|CHALLENGE: FINAL RECKON||MTV||9:00 PM||818||0.5|
|BELOW DECK MEDITERRANEAN||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,308||0.5|
|COUNTING CARS||HISTORY||10:03 PM||1,234||0.4|
|DEADLIEST CATCH||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,649||0.4|
|ANIMAL KINGDOM||TNT||9:00 PM||1,345||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,019||0.4|
|FORGED IN FIRE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,075||0.4|
|FEAR FACTOR||MTV||10:01 PM||843||0.4|
|FEAR FACTOR||MTV||11:02 PM||749||0.4|
|MARRIED AT FIRST SIGHT||LIFETIME||9:00 PM||954||0.3|
|LOVE IS||OWN||10:00 PM||1,141||0.3|
|CUOMO PRIME TIME||CNN||9:00 PM||1,422||0.3|
|PAW PATROL||NICKELODEON||12:00 PM||1,375||0.3|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||1,355||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,848||0.3|
|CNN TONIGHT||CNN||10:00 PM||1,269||0.3|
|MURDER COMES TO TOWN||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,218||0.3|
|LAST WORD W/L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,333||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,060||0.3|
|DAILY SHOW||COMEDY||11:00 PM||766||0.3|
- WWE SMACKDOWN maintained its place at the top of the Tuesday cable ratings for the second week in a row. The USA broadcast scored a 0.7 rating in adults 18-49, the same as what it had scored last week. OWN’s THE HAVES AND HAVE NOTS followed behind and ticked up a tenth from its previous 0.4 to a 0.5 this time around. MTV’s THE CHALLENGE: FINAL RECKONING landed in the top 5 of the night with a 0.5 and 818,000 viewers, even with its season premiere last week.
- On Bravo, BELOW DECK MEDITERRANEAN was steady with another 0.5, while the Discovery Channel’s DEADLIEST CATCH similarly maintained its previous 0.4. TNT’s ANIMAL KINGDOM stayed consistent as well, and maintained its season-long 0.4 streak yet again.
- I watched the Espy’s last night with Danica Patrick hosting and was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable the broadcast was. It’s a shame that the rating is so far down from last year (off half a point, as noted above), as I thought it moved along at a fairly snappy pace for an awards show and Patrick had some great lines throughout the night. My personal favorite? While joking to Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals, she remarked, “I haven’t seen a Russian this pleased with Washington since, well, two days ago.” However, the most powerful part of the night was when more than 100 gymnasts took the stage to receive the Arthur Ashe Courage Award, for speaking out against (now jailed) pedophile and ex team doctor, Larry Nassar. Watch HERE
- Deadline has put together an in-depth article about the potential scenarios for Endemol Shine’s sale. The whole article is worth a read.
- I’ve attached the latest infographic from Hub Entertainment research, breaking down the US market into the channels and types of TV platforms people go to first. Unsurprisingly, live TV viewing is continue to decline at the sharpest rate, particularly in the 35-54 category. Interestingly, over a five year period between 2013-2018, DVR use also declined by 7% (although perhaps that is to be expected, as original streaming content exploded and quicker turnarounds of broadcast shows to digital or streaming platforms became more ubiquitous).