AMERICA’S GOT TALENT coasts to an easy ratings win while THE OUTPOST premieres soft; breakdown and quick analysis of Facebook Watch’s latest news programming
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.8/7||0.6/3||0.5/2||0.4/2||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||9.57||1.91||2.81||4.73||0.85|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Tuesday, July 10, 2018
|8 p.m.||America’s Got Talent (NBC) (8-10 p.m.)||2.1/9||11.35|
|Beat Shazam (FOX)||0.7/3||2.24|
|NCIS (CBS) – R||0.5/3||5.54|
|The Middle (ABC) – R||0.5/3||2.76|
|The 100 (The CW)||0.3/1||0.92|
|8:30 p.m.||Black-ish (ABC) – R||0.5/3||2.13|
|9 p.m.||20/20 (ABC)||0.6/3||3.66|
|Love Connection (FOX)||0.5/2||1.57|
|Bull (CBS) – R||0.4/2||4.34|
|The Outpost (The CW) – P||0.2/1||0.78|
|10 p.m.||World of Dance (NBC)||1.3/6||6|
|The Last Defense (ABC)||0.5/3||2.68|
|NCIS: New Orleans (CBS) – R||0.4/2||4.3|
- NBC easily maintained its customary hold over Tuesday nights with the return of AMERICA’S GOT TALENT after taking a holiday break. The popular variety show earned a 2.1 among adults 18-49, a tenth up from last week, while a new installment of WORLD OF DANCE maintained a steady 1.3.
- The rest of the field was mostly steady; both BEAT SHAZAM (0.7) and LOVE CONNECTION (0.5) held their rock solid numbers for Fox, while a special 20/20 earned a 0.5 in the 9pm hour for ABC, in line for the ratings in that timeslot. THE LAST DEFENSE ticked up a tenth to 0.5
- On CW, THE 100 moved up an hour and gained a tenth over its last airing, while increasing its audience size by 26%. The channel’s premiere of THE OUTPOST was undeniably soft at 0.2/780k viewers, performing around the same level as LIFE SENTENCE when it was canceled, and lagging behind THE 100’s 0.3/1mm viewer average in the same timeslot.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Monday, July 9, 2018
|LOVE AND HIP HOP ATLANTA||VH1||8:00 PM||2,125||1.1|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||8:00 PM||2,582||0.8|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||9:00 PM||2,508||0.8|
|TEEN MOM II||MTV||9:00 PM||1,518||0.8|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||10:00 PM||2,320||0.8|
|STREET OUTLAWS||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,566||0.6|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||5,817||0.6|
|FLORIBAMA SHORE||MTV||10:01 PM||984||0.5|
|INGRAHAM ANGLE, THE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||3,499||0.4|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||3,349||0.4|
|CUOMO PRIME TIME||CNN||9:00 PM||1,623||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,802||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,983||0.3|
|LOVE IT OR LIST IT||HOME||9:00 PM||1,613||0.3|
|AMERICAN CHOPPER||DISCOVERY||10:01 PM||911||0.3|
|WEDDING CAKE CHAMPIONS||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,162||0.3|
|PEOPLE MAG INVEST: CULTS||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,052||0.3|
|FLORIBAMA AFTER SHOW||MTV||11:02 PM||501||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,418||0.3|
|REAL STORY W/ MARIA ELENA||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,031||0.3|
|FOX NEWS AT NIGHT||FOX NEWS||11:00 PM||1,975||0.3|
|STAY OR SELL||HOME||11:00 PM||1,050||0.3|
|AMERICAN PICKERS||HISTORY||10:03 PM||1,328||0.2|
|CNN TONIGHT||CNN||10:00 PM||1,088||0.2|
|RIDICULOUS CAKES||FOOD||10:00 PM||809||0.2|
- VH1’s LOVE & HIP HOP: ATLANTA retained its number one status over Monday cable ratings again this week. The franchise show earned a 1.1 in 18-49s, up a tenth from 1.0 last week. USA’s WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW held scored consistent 0.8 ratings and took both the number two and three spots on the list, but was down a tenth week-to-week.
- Elsewhere on cable, MTV had a good night: TEEN MOM II rose a tenth to 0.8 while the season 2 premiere of FLORIBAMA SHORE scored a 0.5, up a tenth from its 0.4 season 1 finale in January.
- Facebook has released more info on its slate of news programming for the Watch Tab. They’re generally interesting additions that follow Facebook’s current mandate to a T. Each show has a specific community in mind designed to drive real-time, on-platform engagement, and has a mostly agnostic, somewhat apolitical (“non-offensive”), human interest based story approach. While the series target a specific group, most of what I’ve seen of the clips so far are still broad enough to cross into a wider audience.
- Side note: Facebook’s latest trailer for the slate follows the, “everyone is part of a very special community and Facebook is your benevolent overlord” marketing scheme and it’s somewhat effective when it’s not so creepy, or strangely jarring anytime a Fox “News” clip is spliced in. Check it out HERE
- Lineup of new shows below; all shows are weeklies unless otherwise notes:
- MORE IN COMMON | ABC owned stations
Human interest at a local/community level in towns and cities across the US
- AT WHAT COST? | Bloomberg
Breaks down the week’s biggest headlines and how it impacts an individual’s finances in the short and long term.
- PROFILE | Buzzfeed News
Features a different “newsmaker” each week speaking in front of a live studio audience and with the online community, answering their questions. Newsmakers will come from the worlds of politics, tech, business, and entertainment
- THE WAR WITHIN | McClatchy
Chronicles the lives of retired veterans helping other veterans cope with the effects of PTSD.
- NOW THIS MORNING | NowThis’
Daily news show focusing on breaking news of interest to the 16-24 year old audience.
- IMPERFECT UNION | TEGNA
Show will travel across the country and bring two people divided on an issue together to collaborate on a community service project, such as cleaning up a park or volunteering at a food bank. Each shares their perspective, as audiences watch to see what happens.
- This is the one I’ll be looking to get audience data on; it’s an interesting concept, but have a sinking feeling this will only take off if something explosive happens live.