ABC stays on top with steady BACHELORETTE and PROPOSAL lineup; YouTube greenlights series starring Kirsten Dunst; Sean Spicer shopping talk show as he continues to circle drain of relevancy
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.2/5||0.8/4||0.5/2||0.5/2||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||5.05||4||3.85||2.29||1.21|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Monday, June 25, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Bachelorette (ABC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.4/6||5.75|
|Mom (CBS) – R||0.7/3||4.54|
|Running Wild with Bear Grylls (NBC)||0.6/3||3.28|
|So You Think You Can Dance (FOX)||0.6/3||2.79|
|Penn & Teller: Fool Us (The CW) – P||0.3/1||1.33|
|8:30 p.m.||Man with a Plan (CBS) – R||0.6/3||3.84|
|9 p.m.||American Ninja Warrior (NBC) (9-11 p.m.)||0.9/4||4.36|
|Salvation (CBS) – P||0.4/2||3.34|
|9-1-1 (FOX) – R||0.4/2||1.79|
|Whose Line Is It Anyway? (The CW)||0.3/1||1.11|
|9:30 p.m.||Whose Line Is It Anyway? (The CW) – R||0.2/1||1.07|
|10 p.m.||The Proposal (ABC)||0.8/3||3.65|
- ABC took Monday night overall with steady ratings for both THE BACHELORETTE and THE PROPOSAL. Bachelorette was the only show to score over a 1.0 in the 18-49 adult demo, earning a 1.4. THE PROPOSAL, despite having to yank an episode amid sexual assault allegations against one of its contestants, was able to retain its 0.8 rating for a second week in a row.
- NBC shows came in second for the evening, although both RUNNING WILD WITH BEAR GRYLLS (0.6) and AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR (0.9) were each off a tenth from last week. Fox’s SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE also fared poorly for the evening, its 0.6 rating the lowest of the season so far and off two tenths from its last show.
- CBS’ SALVATION got off to a rocky summer start; the second season opened to a 0.4, tying a series low set twice in its first season. The 0.4 premiere is 20% below its season one average. ELEMENTARY was also down this week, dropping a tenth to 0.5.
- CW had the steadiest night aside from ABC, with airings of PENN & TELLER FOOL US and WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? putting up 0.3s (in line with averages from the last two seasons).
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Sunday, June 24, 2018
|BET AWARDS||BET||8:00 PM||2,869||1.2|
|WORLD CUP||FS1||7:41 AM||1,623||0.7|
|BET AWARDS POST-SHOW||BET||11:18 PM||1,443||0.6|
|NAKED AND AFRAID XL||DISCOVERY||10:00 PM||1,828||0.6|
|ROBOT CHICKEN||ADULT SWIM||11:30 PM||1,037||0.5|
|FIFA WORLD CUP TODAY||FS1||10:00 AM||1,234||0.5|
|90 DAY FIANCE: HAPPILY EVER AFTER||TLC||8:00 PM||1,652||0.5|
|NAKED AND AFRAID||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,527||0.5|
|BEACH HUNTERS||HGTV||9:30 PM||1,902||0.4|
|BET AWARDS PRE-SHOW||BET||6:00 PM||975||0.4|
|MEXICO LIFE||HGTV||10:00 PM||1,788||0.4|
|NASCAR M.E. CUP RACING||FS1||2:40 PM||2,339||0.4|
|WICKED TUNA||NAT GEO||9:00 PM||1,426||0.4|
|FOOD NETWORK STAR||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,332||0.4|
|BEACH HUNTERS||HGTV||9:00 PM||1,729||0.4|
|BAR RESCUE||PARAMOUNT||10:00 PM||843||0.3|
|LAKEFRONT BARGAIN HUNT||HGTV||8:00 PM||1,479||0.3|
|LAST WEEK TONIGHT||HBO||11:32 PM||937||0.3|
|TOTAL BELLAS||E!||9:00 PM||666||0.3|
|MEXICO LIFE||HGTV||10:30 PM||1,608||0.3|
|LAKEFRONT BARGAIN HUNT||HGTV||8:30 PM||1,517||0.3|
|MLB SUNDAY NIGHT||ESPN||8:00 PM||1,151||0.3|
- BET’s annual awards show topped cable on Sunday night, rounding up 2.87 million viewers and scoring a 1.2 among adults 18-49. Compared to the 2017 awards, the show was down 20% in the 18-49 rating and total audience shrank by 25% (2017 numbers: 1.5/3.83mm). The BET POST SHOW put up a 0.6, good enough for the number three position. World Cup action on FS1 landed in second place, earning a 0.7 in 18-49s.
- Live viewing for the second season finale of WESTWORLD put the show near the top of the list with a 0.6, in line with the season 2 average, but lagging behind linear viewing for season 1. (The drop hardly signifies, however, as most viewing for the show takes place with DVR, on demand, and streaming, which will certainly drive audience numbers way up).
- Propagate has teamed up with French media giant Vivendi to develop a US version of LES GUIGNOLS (“The Horns”), a popular satirical comedy show that ran on French television for 30 years. Much like its French predecessor, the US version being developed for Fox skewers politicians and big-name stars with off-color sketches and songs.
- A second puppet show along the same lines is also being developed, based on the UK series SPITTING IMAGE from the 80s and 90s. It is currently being pitched to US networks and streamers; NBC is looking like the most likely home for the potential series.
- YouTube is adding some serious star power to its series offerings. The streamer has closed a 10-episode series order for ON BECOMING A GOD IN CENTRAL FLORIDA, executive produced by Kirsten Dunst, George Clooney & Grant Heslov’s Smokehouse Pictures, and TriStar Television, with Dunst set to star. The show centers around Krystal Gill (Dunst), a minimum-wage-earning water park employee who will eventually scheme her way up the ranks of Founders American Merchandise: the cultish, flag waving, multi-billion-dollar pyramid scheme that drove her family to ruin. The show is set to launch on YouTube Premiere (formerly Red) in 2019.
- Oh look, just what we don’t need! A talk show being developed with former Trump press secretary Sean Spicer. Being envisioned as a syndicated series, the horrifically banal-sounding talk show would feature Spicer sitting down to engage in “light conversation” with public figures, covering such hard-hitting issues as “making your bed” or the value of a great point guard. Hilariously, the current title is COMMON GROUND WITH SEAN SPICER, who remarked about the potential series, “In this current environment, I think it’s important to have a platform where we can have civil, respectful, and informative discussions on the issues of the day.” It is still unclear whether he choked on the irony of the comment.