Gordon Ramsay shows top broadcast; MTV announces launch of MTV Studios
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.0/4||0.6/3||0.6/3||0.5/2||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||3.52||4.53||2.39||2.38||0.69|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, June 20, 2018
|8 p.m.||Masterchef (FOX)||0.9/4||3.58|
|The Goldbergs (ABC) – R||0.6/3||3.1|
|NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS) – R||0.5/2||4.28|
|World of Dance (NBC) – R||0.5/2||2.85|
|Supergirl (The CW) – R||0.2/1||0.64|
|8:30 p.m.||The Goldbergs (ABC) – R||0.6/3||2.46|
|9 p.m.||Gordon Ramsay’s 24 Hours to Hell and Back (FOX)||1.0/4||3.47|
|Modern Family (ABC) – R||0.6/3||2.27|
|SEAL Team (CBS) – R||0.5/2||3.72|
|World of Dance (NBC) – R||0.5/2||2.54|
|The Originals (The CW)||0.3/1||0.75|
|9:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC) – R||0.5/2||2.07|
|10 p.m.||Code Black (CBS)||0.7/3||5.61|
|Shark Tank (ABC) – R||0.5/2||2.22|
- Fox easily topped a rerun heavy night, despite week-to-week losses in its popular All-Ramsay lineup on Wednesday. MASTERCHEF (0.9) and 24 HOURS TO HELL & BACK (1.0) each faltered a tenth from last week in the key demo, but were still able to lead their respective hours (again, not exactly a big feat against a field of mostly reruns).
- In other new episodes that dotted the broadcast landscape, CW’s THE ORIGINALS posted a 0.3, even with last week. NBC’s VR procedural REVERIE continued to slip, dropping another tenth to 0.4 this week, while CODE BLACK on CBS retained a steady 0.7 for a second week and took the night overall for total audience (5.61 million viewers).
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, June 19, 2018
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,315||0.8|
|BELOW DECK MEDITERRANEAN||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,516||0.5|
|CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST||USA||10:00 PM||1,658||0.5|
|DEADLIEST CATCH||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,757||0.5|
|CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST||USA||10:31 PM||1,448||0.4|
|ANIMAL KINGDOM||TNT||9:00 PM||1,333||0.4|
|HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS||OWN||9:00 PM||1,915||0.4|
|FORGED IN FIRE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,166||0.4|
|FIFA WORLD CUP GS L||FOX SPORTS||7:39 AM||953||0.4|
|CHALLENGE: CHAMPS STARS||MTV||10:00 PM||534||0.4|
|LITTLE PEOPLE, BIG WORLD||TLC||9:00 PM||1,711||0.3|
|WONDERLAND MURDERS||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,292||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,290||0.3|
|EXPEDITION UNKNOWN||DISCOVERY||10:00 PM||1,162||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,816||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,719||0.3|
|LOVE IS||OWN||10:00 PM||1,002||0.3|
|HIDDEN POTENTIAL||HOME||10:00 PM||1,329||0.3|
|INGRAHAM ANGLE, THE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||2,964||0.3|
|GOOD BONES||HOME||9:00 PM||1,498||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:30 PM||1,307||0.3|
|LAST WORD W/L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,338||0.2|
|MURDER COMES TO TOWN||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,093||0.2|
|FOX AND FRIENDS||FOX NEWS||8:00 AM||2,122||0.2|
- USA and wrestling is once again riding atop the cable lists, now that the NBA and NHL have concluded their seasons. WWE SMACKDOWN took the number one spot on Tuesday, scoring a 0.8 among adults 18-49 and drawing in 2.32 million viewers. Week-to-week, the show is up a tenth, but in line with its 2018 average.
- Bravo’s BELOW DECK MEDITERRANEN continues to perform steadily; its 0.5 rating was good enough for the number 2 spot, while USA’s CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST rounded out the top three, also scoring a 0.5.
- On TNT, ANIMAL KINGDOM was similarly able to keep its recent 0.4 streak going this week. OWN’s THE HAVES AND HAVE NOTS also held steady with another 0.4.
- Apple has picked up French short form series CALLS to a 10-episode, straight-to-series order. The deal marks this as the first greenlighted international series and first international coproduction for the fledgling SVOD, which is due to launch in 2019. Created by Timothée Hochet, Calls takes storytelling innovation up a notch (allegedly), allowing audiences to experience short stories through real-life audio sources and minimal visuals. Check out the trailer HERE; in some ways, it reminds me of the starkness of such storytelling of La Jetté, but with even fewer visuals. It’s an interesting concept, but beyond short-form, I’m curious to see how they adapt this beyond a typical “slice-of-life” procedural.
- MTV Networks has launched MTV Studios, a company/unit largely dedicated to developing and producing reboots, revivals and spin-offs of series from MTV’s library of more than 200 young adult titles in addition to new shows, predominantly unscripted. If you’re a child of the 90s, it should come of no surprise that programs such as AEON FLUX and DARIA are on the shortlist of reboots, as well as two new series:
- THE VALLEY (working title)
A timely coming-of-age docuseries in the spirit of The Hills and Siesta Key which follows a group of young friends growing up in the Valley town of Nogales, Arizona, a city split in half, with one side in the United States and the other in Mexico.
- STRAIGHT UP GHOSTED
Follows young people trying to reconnect with lost friends, lovers and family members and confront them about why they have been ghosted.
- As an overall reach strategy, MTV president (and architect of the channel’s rating resurgence) Chris McCarthy noted, “Because the younger side of MTV’s traditional target demo of persons 12-34, the 12- to 17-year-olds, do most of their viewing online, MTV plans to reach them there. (Anything for) the younger set of the demo is going to be more on the SVOD partners. Anything in the 20 plus is going to be more for our traditional cable platform.”