NBA Finals Game 3 wins night but down 4% from last year; Weather Channel greenlights weather-related true crime series; Complex takes HOT ONES to Snapchat
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||4.3/18||0.9/4||0.9/4||0.5/2||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||12.31||4.17||3.24||4.35||0.76|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, June 6, 2018
|8 p.m.||Jimmy Kimmel Live: Game Night (ABC)||2.6/13||9.05|
|American Ninja Warrior (NBC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.1/5||5.14|
|Masterchef (FOX) (8-10 p.m.)||0.9/4||3.24|
|SEAL Team (CBS) – R||0.4/2||3.83|
|Supergirl (The CW) – R||0.2/1||0.78|
|8:30 p.m.||NBA Countdown (ABC)||2.6/12||7.98|
|9 p.m.||NBA Finals Game 3 (ABC) (9-11 p.m.)||5.2/21||14.21|
|SEAL Team (CBS) – R||0.4/2||3.6|
|The Originals (The CW)||0.2/1||0.75|
|10 p.m.||Code Black (CBS)||0.6/3||5.63|
- Game 3 predictably dominated the broadcast field on Wednesday night, scoring a 5.2 in fast nationals, even with the previous two games. The rating will almost certainly adjust up in the finals. New installments of JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE: GAME NIGHT and NBA COUNTDOWN each grabbed 2.6 ratings among adults 18-49. Night-to-night, Kimmel had a 3-tenths gain over his game 2 show, while Countdown managed to tick up a tenth from its game 2 rating.
- Against the NBA Finals, programming on other networks still managed to hold their own, with NBC’s AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR scoring the highest, at 1.1 in adults 18-49 (although it’s off a tenth from the premiere last week). REVERIE earned a 0.5, down a tenth from last week.
- Meanwhile on Fox, MASTERCHEF nabbed a 0.9, also down .1 from last week, while both CODE BLACK (0.6) on CBS and THE ORIGINALS (0.2) on CW dipped a tenth of a point apiece.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, June 5, 2018
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,138||0.7|
|CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST||USA||10:00 PM||1,478||0.5|
|LAST OG, THE||TBS||10:30 PM||1,157||0.5|
|BELOW DECK MEDITERRANEAN||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,309||0.5|
|DEADLIEST CATCH||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,720||0.4|
|COLL SOFTBALL WRLD SRS||ESPN||8:00 PM||1,520||0.4|
|HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS||OWN||9:00 PM||1,806||0.4|
|FORGED IN FIRE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,101||0.4|
|ANIMAL KINGDOM||TNT||9:00 PM||1,217||0.4|
|GOOD BONES||HOME||9:00 PM||1,665||0.3|
|LITTLE PEOPLE, BIG WORLD||TLC||9:00 PM||1,685||0.3|
|WONDERLAND MURDERS||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,361||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,776||0.3|
|LOUD HOUSE||NICKELODEON||5:00 PM||1,487||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:30 PM||1,426||0.3|
|CHALLENGE: CHAMPS STARS||MTV||10:00 PM||494||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,780||0.3|
|HIDDEN POTENTIAL||HOME||10:00 PM||1,445||0.3|
|INGRAHAM ANGLE, THE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||2,993||0.3|
|FOSTERS, THE||FREEFORM||8:00 PM||607||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,159||0.3|
|CROMARTIES, THE||USA||10:31 PM||677||0.3|
|LAST WORD W/L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,285||0.3|
- With no sports series to contend with, WWE SMACKDOWN on USA was once again on top Tuesday cable ratings, scoring a 0.7 in adults 18-49, the same rating it grabbed last week. Following behind was another USA show, CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST, earning a 0.5 (in line with its season average), and rounding out the top three was scripted comedy THE LAST OG on TBS, maintaining another 0.5 for its latest episode.
- Elsewhere on cable, TNT’s ANIMAL KINGDOM held steady with a 0.4, while long-running DEADLIEST CATCH on Discovery dropped a tenth this week, down to a 0.4. Bravo’s popular BELOW DECK MEDITERRANEAN was steady with another 0.5.
- Outside the top 25, cult hit LEGION on FX turned in another 0.2, but grew its audience by about 100K (up to 467,000 viewers versus 362,000 last week), good news for the recently renewed superhero drama.
- The Weather Channel has greenlit eight episodes of a new original program, STORM OF SUSPICION, from Jupiter Entertainment. The hour-long true crime series will examine the crimes where weather played a central role to the narrative and investigation. The series will premiere this fall.
- Addendum to our note yesterday about Banijay Group bringing back TEMPTATION ISLAND: USA Network is in advanced negotiations to acquire the rebooted reality dating series in a move to pump up its unscripted slate around hit show CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST.
- Inside The NBAanalyst and former NBA star Kenny Smith has inked a multi-series pact with director-producer Deon Taylor and have already gotten the ball rolling with a new reality show titled READY FOR THE LEAGUE, showcasing the hottest basketball prospects from around the country. Taylor’s Hidden Empire Film Group and Smith’s SEG Productions are deep into production on the show, which will profile a different draft prospect in each 30-minute episode, with analyst Smith sitting down with college stars to discuss what it takes to make it in the pro leagues. The team is still looking for a broadcast partner for the show.
- Complex Networks is bringing one of its most popular shows to Snapchat, beginning today. THE HOT ONES, which features host Sean Evans sitting down with celebrities for a chat while both eat chicken wings of steadily increasing spice levels is set for a 12-week run on the app, with new episodes launched every Thursday and will include content exclusive to the platform. To date, the show has racked up 375 million views for Complex and launched an alternative revenue stream in marketing hot sauces related to the show. In 2016, Hot Ones introduced its first bottled hot sauce, Hot Ones Fiery Chipotle. In 2017, the show added another sauce, The Last Dab, selling out its initial run in 90 seconds, the company said. Two more sauces are on the way this summer.
- Fox has ordered a 2-part documentary based on the notorious cult leader and murder Charles Manson. Titled INSIDE THE MANSON CULT: THE LOST TAPES, actor Liev Schrieber narrates the special that utilizes original 16mm archival footage and will look at how the members, who carried out a number of grisly murders, including the brutal attack on Sharon Tate, went from peace-loving hippies to mass murderers. The two-parter goes inside Spahn’s Ranch, where the Manson cult lived, to offer an intimate and terrifying look into America’s most murderous group. The special will feature rare photos and new and archival interviews with former Manson cult members, such as Catherine “Gypsy” Share and Dianne “Snake” Lake, as well as key people involved in the Manson case, including prosecutor Stephen Kay and FBI criminal profiler John Douglas. Naked Entertainment produces; an air date is not yet set.
- National Geographic is set to premiere INSIDE NORTH KOREA: RACE TO PEACE on June 10, two days before the summit between the US and the DPRK. The new docu from writer/producer Robert Zakin will tap archival footage and release new interviews with diplomats such as former US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and US/North Korea emissary Bill Richardson, to comment and provide context for the diplomatic milestone.