NASCAR and NHL Finals Game 1 top the weekend on broadcast; ROSEANNE canceled after star’s racist tweets cause uproar
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||0.8/4||0.5/3||0.4/2||0.4/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||3.94||3.01||4.81||2.45|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Sunday, May 27, 2018
|7 p.m.||NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Racing (FOX) (7-10 p.m.)||0.8/4||3.94|
|60 Minutes (CBS)||0.5/3||6.14|
|America’s Funniest Home Videos (ABC) – R||0.5/3||3.74|
|8 p.m.||America’s Funniest Home Videos (ABC) – R||0.6/3||3.62|
|American Ninja Warrior: USA vs. the World (NBC) (8-11 p.m.) – R||0.5/2||2.24|
|9 p.m.||Deception (ABC) (9-11 p.m.) – F||0.4/2||2.34|
|10 p.m.||NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS) – R||0.4/2||3.65|
- It was a very light Sunday on broadcast, with networks largely taking the weekend off for Memorial Day. Fox’s live broadcast of NASCAR racing easily led the night with a 0.8 rating among adults 18-49 and 3.94 million viewers.
- On CBS, a pair of back-to-back INSTINCT episodes brought in 0.4 and 0.3 ratings respectively, while the 2-hour finale for DECEPTION took a hit from last week, down two tenths to 0.4.
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.6/6||1.1/4||0.5/2||0.5/2||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||4.84||4.61||3.88||2.41||1.16|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Monday, May 28, 2018
|8 p.m.||Stanley Cup Finals Game 1 (NBC) (8-11 p.m.)||1.6/6||4.84|
|The Bachelorette (ABC) (8-10 p.m.) – P||1.4/5||5.55|
|Mom (CBS) – R||0.6/3||4.12|
|Lucifer (FOX) (8-10 p.m.)||0.5/2||2.41|
|Supergirl (The CW)||0.4/2||1.56|
|8:30 p.m.||Man with a Plan (CBS) – R||0.5/2||3.65|
|9 p.m.||NCIS: New Orleans (CBS) – R||0.4/2||3.79|
|iZombie (The CW) – F||0.2/1||0.76|
|10 p.m.||The Crossing (ABC)||0.5/2||2.73|
- THE BACHELORETTE returned to ABC with a guy in a chicken suit and ratings down slightly from last season’s debut. Off to a sluggish 1.4 rating among adults 18-49 (down .1), the long-running dating show was also off slightly in total viewers; 5.55 million tuned in last night versus 5.68 million in 2017. Later in the evening, a new episode of THE CROSSING earned a steady 0.5.
- NBC topped the night on ratings with Game 1 of the NHL Stanley Cup finals. The 1.6 rating and 4.84 million viewers was virtually the same as 2017’s opening game, which earned a 1.7 and 4.85 million people watched.
- Fox aired its final two “bonus” episodes of LUCIFER, which averaged a 0.5 over the two hours, down slightly from the season average the supernatural drama posted earlier in the year.
- On CW, iZOMBIE wrapped up its season with a 0.2, in line with the 0.25 rating it has averaged over the season. A new episode of SUPERGIRL earned a 0.4, down a tenth from last week.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Thursday, May 24, 2018
|NBA PLAYOFFS – CONF FNLS||TNT||9:00 PM||9,236||3.6|
|INSIDE THE NBA PLAYOFFS||TNT||11:36 PM||3,731||1.7|
|JERSEY SHORE FAM VACATION||MTV||8:00 PM||1,641||1.0|
|NBA PLAYOFFS PRE-GAME||TNT||8:00 PM||1,760||0.6|
|SOUTHERN CHARM||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,319||0.5|
|EX ON THE BEACH||MTV||9:02 PM||686||0.4|
|RUPAULS DRAG RACE||VH1||8:00 PM||715||0.4|
|SWAMP PEOPLE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,600||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,672||0.3|
|LIVE PD: POLICE PATROL||A&E||9:30 PM||923||0.3|
|HANNITY SPECIAL||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||2,938||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,666||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,649||0.3|
|BEAT B.FLAY||FOOD||10:00 PM||919||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||716||0.3|
|LIVE PD: POLICE PATROL||A&E||10:01 PM||936||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,633||0.3|
|LIVE PD: POLICE PATROL||A&E||9:00 PM||858||0.3|
|FLIP OR FLOP VEGAS||A&E||9:30 PM||1,273||0.3|
|EXTREME MEASURES||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,186||0.3|
|FLIP OR FLOP VEGAS||HOME||9:00 PM||1,084||0.3|
|LIVE PD: POLICE PATROL||A&E||10:32 PM||847||0.3|
|INGRAHAM ANGLE, THE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||2,419||0.2|
|SPORTSCENTER EARLY||ESPN||6:00 PM||518||0.2|
- TNT’s continued coverage of the NBA conference finals scored the top spots of the night, starting with its broadcast of the Warriors vs Rockets game scoring a 3.6 rating in adults 18-49 and 9.24 million viewers. Following up in the number 2 spot was an INSIDE THE NBA PLAYOFFS special, which scored a 1.7. MTV’s JERSEY SHORE FAMILY VACATION held steady with a 1.0 for the second week in a row, good enough to round out the top three.
- Elsewhere on the list, after taking a minor hit in the Thursday cable ratings last week, VH1’s “RuPaul’s Drag Race” managed to tick back up this time around, rising from its previous 0.3 to a 0.4 rating in adults 18-49.
- It was a busy morning for Roseanne on Twitter – she started the day releasing a slew of racist and anti-Semitic tweets, sparking immediate and swift backlash from her cast and crew members and consulting producer/comedienne Wanda Sykes walking away from the show. Then ABC let the axe really fall: “Roseanne’s Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show,” ABC Entertainment chief Channing Dungey announced. The show’s revival, a huge win for the network during the Spring, earned a swift season 2 renewal after posting 3.0+ ratings in the 18-49 demo. Here’s hoping ABC decides to put something original (and actually funny) in its place.
- HBO Sports and Bill Simmons are teaming up for COURTSIDE AT THE NBA FINALS, an unscripted and unprecedented in-depth view of the NBA Finals as they happen. The special will follow the Finals starting 31 May with an aim to “give our subscribers a first-hand look at the nuances of each victory and defeat” according to Peter Nelson, executive vice president, HBO Sports. The special airs 19 June.