AMERICAN IDOL finale finishes on top for Monday; Amazon Studios to produce global economy docuseries with Adam McKay and Kal Penn
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.4/6||1.2/5||0.8/3||0.6/3||0.4/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||8.66||6.77||5.01||2.35||1.42|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Monday, May 21, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Voice (NBC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.5/6||8.61|
|Dancing With the Stars (ABC) – F||1.1/5||8.67|
|The Big Bang Theory (CBS) – R||1.1/5||6.3|
|2018 Miss USA (FOX) (8-10 p.m.) – S||0.6/3||2.35|
|Supergirl (The CW)||0.5/2||1.77|
|8:30 p.m.||Man with a Plan (CBS) – F||1.0/4||5.66|
|9 p.m.||American Idol (ABC) (9-11 p.m.) – F||1.6/6||8.65|
|The Big Bang Theory (CBS) – R||1.0/4||5.46|
|iZombie (The CW)||0.3/1||1.08|
|9:30 p.m.||Mom (CBS) – R||0.8/3||4.33|
|10 p.m.||Running Wild with Bear Grylls (NBC)||0.7/3||3.11|
- The finale of AMERICAN IDOL on ABC led the network to a narrow ratings win on Monday, edging out NBC’s THE VOICE for top marks of the night. Idol’s finale scored a 1.6 in the 18-49 demographic, on par with prior Monday airings this season and three tenths above Sunday’s “last performance” episode. Prior to the singing competition’s finale, the last episode of DANCING WITH THE STARS ticked up slightly, earning a 1.1 for the night, in line with numbers it has posted all spring.
- Conversely, on NBC, THE VOICE fell a tenth Monday-to-Monday, earning a 1.5 for the night, while survival reality series RUNNING WILD WITH BEAR GRYLLS similarly fell a tenth, scoring a 0.7.
- For CBS, the season ender for MAN WITH A PLAN ended up a tenth at 1.0, while a new episode of ELEMENTARY dropped a tenth to 0.5. On the CW, both SUPERGIRL (0.5) and iZOMBIE (0.3) retained their numbers from last week.
- Fox aired its annual MISS USA pageant, which earned a 0.6, down two tenths from last year’s special.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Sunday, May 20, 2018
|NBA PLAYOFFS||TNT||8:00 PM||7,797||2.9|
|INSIDE THE NBA PLAYOFFS||TNT||10:24 PM||3,381||1.4|
|FEAR THE WALKING DEAD||AMC||9:00 PM||2,306||0.8|
|NBA PREGAME||TNT||7:30 PM||1,806||0.7|
|ROBOT CHICKEN||ADULT SWIM||11:30 PM||1,086||0.6|
|NAKED AND AFRAID XL||DISCOVERY||10:00 PM||1,418||0.5|
|LAST WEEK TONIGHT||HBO||11:03 PM||1,276||0.4|
|WORST COOKS IN AMERICA||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,342||0.4|
|90 DAY FIANCE: HAPPILY EVER AFTER?||TLC||8:00 PM||1,337||0.4|
|INTO THE BADLANDS||AMC||10:05 PM||1,078||0.4|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF POTOMAC||BRAVO||8:00 PM||1,047||0.3|
|CARIBBEAN LIFE||HGTV||9:30 PM||1,590||0.3|
|LIGA MX||UNIVISION DEPORTES||7:30 PM||710||0.3|
|MEXICO LIFE||HGTV||10:00 PM||1,573||0.3|
|CARIBBEAN LIFE||HGTV||9:00 PM||1,572||0.3|
|JOE PERA TALKS WITH YOU||ADULT SWIM||12:00 AM||631||0.3|
|MEXICO LIFE||HGTV||10:30 PM||1,511||0.3|
|LAKEFRONT BARGAIN HUNT||HGTV||8:30 PM||1,573||0.3|
|JOE PERA TALKS WITH YOU||ADULT SWIM||12:15 AM||573||0.3|
|BREAKING HOMICIDE||ID||11:00 PM||995||0.3|
|TOTAL BELLAS||E!||9:00 PM||517||0.3|
|LAKEFRONT BARGAIN HUNT||HGTV||8:00 PM||1,486||0.3|
- Predictably, TNT’s NBA coverage topped cable ratings on Sunday, leading by a wide margin over the rest of the field. Game 3 of the NBA Western Conference Finals drew 7.8 million viewers and a 2.9 amongst 18-49-year-olds, while the next runner up was an INSIDE THE NBA PLAYOFFS special, also on TNT. The show drew a 1.4 and around 3.4 million viewers.
- Rounding out the top three was FEAR THE WALKING DEAD on AMC, which took a minor hit opposite the NBA playoff game on TNT. Fear scored a 0.8 in the 18-49 demographic, down a tenth from last week.
- Elsewhere on cable, HBO’s WESTWORLD held steady with another 0.6, while LAST WEEK TONIGHT rose back up a tenth to earn a 0.4.
- Bubble comedy LA TO VEGAS has been canceled by Fox. Although there were still discussions going on last week during upfronts that the show might return for a second season if Will Ferrell appeared (the series is produced by his Gary Sanchez Productions), the network was unable to find room for it in the schedule (a tapering off of ratings throughout the first season certainly didn’t help). With this cancellation, Fox has wiped its single-camera comedy slate nearly clean with the exception of GHOSTED, which is still TBD.
- Amazon is teaming up with Adam McKay and Adam Davidson (co-founder of NPR’s Planet Money) to produce a new docuseries about the global economy, featuring Kal Penn (Designated Survivor, Harold & Kumar, former White House Associate Director of Public Engagement) as host. The docuseries will follow Penn as he embarks on an international tour of the global economy, exposing the fascinating, funny, and mind-blowing ways that money plays a pivotal role in everyone’s life. No release date has been set.
- The New York Times, Paramount Television, Anonymous Content, and 3Dot Productions have partnered to create OVERLOOKED, a scripted anthology series that highlights the stories of notable women who did not receive an obituary in The Times.
- Each season will be 10×60, telling the story of a different woman who left an indelible mark on history.
- Each episode will be written and directed by women
- Overlookedis an editorial project from The Times’ obituaries desk to tell those stories and recognize women who were visionaries in their field. It has become a regular feature in NYT’s obituaries section, with new profiles added each week.