EMPIRE takes the night overall for broadcast; latest in 2018-19 Broadcast season news; Facebook Watch adds two more to its original series portfolio
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.4/6||1.0/4||1.0/4||0.9/4||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||4.41||6.29||5.62||3.85||0.89|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, May 9, 2018
|8 p.m.||Empire (FOX)||1.6/7||5.01|
|The Goldbergs (ABC)||1.2/5||4.75|
|The Blacklist (NBC)||0.7/3||4.9|
|Riverdale (The CW)||0.4/2||1.01|
|8:30 p.m.||Alex, Inc. (ABC)||0.7/3||3.04|
|9 p.m.||Modern Family (ABC)||1.3/6||4.68|
|Law & Order: SVU (NBC)||1.1/4||5.69|
|SEAL Team (CBS)||0.9/4||6.22|
|The Originals (The CW)||0.3/1||0.76|
|9:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC)||1.1/4||4.1|
|10 p.m.||Chicago PD (NBC) – F||1.2/5||6.29|
|Code Black (CBS)||0.7/3||5.02|
|Designated Survivor (ABC)||0.5/2||3.27|
- It was a mostly quiet night on Wednesday broadcast, with EMPIRE (1.6) taking the night overall, despite falling a tenth week-to-week. STAR was even for the night, scoring a 1.2 in 18-49s.
- On NBC, the just-renewed CHICAGO PD ended its latest season even with last week, earning a 1.2 and drawing in 6.29 million viewers. Earlier in the evening, LAW & ORDER: SVU dropped a tenth for the week to 1.1, but was renewed for a 20th season, tied with iconic US series Gunsmoke for longest running drama series. Also dropping a tenth was THE BLACKLIST, scoring a 0.7 for the night.
- ABC’s block of comedies was a mixed bag for the night: both THE GOLDBERGS (1.2) and MODERN FAMILY (1.3) were steady, while struggling freshman comedy ALEX INC dropped a tenth to 0.7 and AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE climbed two tenths over last week, landing at 1.1 for the night. DESIGNATED SURVIVOR continued to slip, down a tenth to 0.5.
- CBS had a completely flat night, with SURVIVOR (1.5), SEAL TEAM (0.9), and CODE BLACK (0.7) all holding their numbers from last week, while on the CW THE ORIGINALS (0.3) dropped a tenth and RIVERDALE (0.4) stayed even.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, May 8, 2018
|NBA PLAYOFFS||TNT||10:34 PM||4,953||1.9|
|NBA PLAYOFFS||TNT||8:00 PM||4,082||1.5|
|INSIDE THE NBA PLAYOFFS||TNT||12:57 AM||2,008||0.8|
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,293||0.7|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF BEV HILLS||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,637||0.6|
|CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST||USA||10:00 PM||1,422||0.5|
|LAST OG, THE||TBS||10:00 PM||1,145||0.5|
|DEADLIEST CATCH||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,708||0.4|
|FORGED IN FIRE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,123||0.4|
|LITTLE PEOPLE, BIG WORLD||TLC||9:00 PM||1,755||0.4|
|KNIFE OR DEATH||HISTORY||10:03 PM||929||0.4|
|HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS||OWN||9:00 PM||1,739||0.4|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,302||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,749||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,506||0.3|
|CHALLENGE: CHAMPS STARS||MTV||10:00 PM||518||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,540||0.3|
|GOOD BONES||HOME||9:00 PM||1,391||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,548||0.3|
|DAILY SHOW||COMEDY||11:00 PM||907||0.3|
|FORBIDDEN: DYING FOR LOVE||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,017||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||689||0.3|
- Once again, TNT continues to lead cable ratings with live coverage of NBA playoffs. The broadcasts easily scored the top spots for the night, with the Pelicans vs Warriors game leading off at 1.9 for 18-49s and the Jazz versus Rockets game scoring a 1.5. Rounding out the top three was INSIDE THE NBA PLAYOFFS, earning a 0.8 for the night.
- Further down the list, WWE SMACKDOWN on USA was off a little week-to-week, dropping a tenth to 0.7, while TBS comedy THE LAST OG ticked up a tenth, earning a 0.5 this time around and climbing to 1.15 million viewers. THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF BEVERLY HILLS held steady with yet another 0.6.
- Latest announcements from the broadcast pickup front below:
- PICK UP: A MILLION LITTLE THINGS (Drama)
Similar to the late 80s move The Big Chill in tone, the ensemble drama is about a group of eight friends, four men and four women, in which the one whose life looked most put together commits suicide. The death serves as a wake-up call to others in the group that it is time to start living, and along the way they discover that friends may be the one thing to save them from themselves.
- Stars Ron Livingston (+ADD OTHERS)
- PICK UP: THE ROOKIE (Drama)
A light procedural cop drama following Officer John Nolan, the oldest rookie in the LAPD.
- Starring Nathan Fillion (Firefly, Castle)
- PICK UP: WELCOME TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD (Multi-cam Comedy)
Centers on the nicest guy in the Midwest who moves his family into a tough neighborhood in L.A. where not everyone appreciates his extreme neighborliness.
- Starring Cedric the Entertainer
- PICK UP: UNTITLED DAMON WAYANS JR PROJECT (Multi-cam Comedy)
Revolves around Peter and Claire, a thirtysomething couple who are tired of their mundane life and start to reconnect with their younger, cooler selves when an emerging pop star, who is drawn to their super-normal suburban life, moves in.
- PICK UP: MANIFEST (Drama)
Influenced by the mystery of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, the high-conceptManifest explores a hypothetical scenario what would happen if a missing plane and its passengers suddenly reappeared.
- Robert Zemeckis executive produces
- RENEWAL: BLINDSPOT (Season 4)
- RENEWAL: LAW & ORDER: SVU (Season 20)*
- RENEWAL: CHICAGO Franchises
- FIRE (Season 7)
- PD (Season 6)
- MED (Season 4)
- PICK UP: THE COOL KIDS (Comedy)
Three guy friends in a retirement community are the top dogs until they’re blown out of the water by the newest member of the community, a female rebel whose ready to challenge their place – it’s high school with 70 somethings.
- Starring David Alan Grier (In Living Color) and Vicki Lawrence (The Carol Burnett Show, Mama’s Family)
- PICK UP: PROVEN INNOCENT (Drama)
A legal drama set in a wrongful conviction firm. Led by a fierce and fearless female lawyer with a hunger for justice, the team reopens investigations, putting their own lives in danger to exonerate the innocent that were ‘proven’ guilty. The lead’s motivation comes from her infamous past; as a young adult she was found guilty and later exonerated in a high-profile case in which she became a tabloid sensation, household name and national celebrity.
- LIKELY PICK UP: LAST MAN STANDING (Comedy)
- Tim Allen starrer, canceled by ABC after the 2016-17 season. Studio 20th Century owns the property and is finalizing deals with Fox and the remainder of cast. Will most likely be picked up by the end of the week.
- RENEWAL: STAR (Season 3)
- Facebook continues to build out its original series portfolio, giving series commitments to a scripted drama series centered around the world of high school girls’ soccer and an unscripted series from Reese Witherspoon’s company Hello Sunshine, which has been on a roll this year with streaming services, picking up 3 series orders at Apple in addition to a series pick up at Hulu. Notes on the latest FB pickups below:
- MEET MY MOM | 5×5-10, through May | Hello Sunshine
Log Line: An intimate, heartwarming and revealing chat between celebrities and their mothers.
- First episode released today, featuring Reese Witherspoon and her mom; see it HERE
- Additional episodes feature YouTube influencer Lilly Singh, US Olympic figure skater Adam Rippon, model Ashley Graham, and actor Leonardo Nam
- UNTITLED SOCCER DRAMA | wiip Studios
Log Line: Follows a high school girls’ soccer team in upstate New York as the team’s melting pot line-up and winning streak invites the community to overcome deep divisions along racial, ethnic and class lines by rallying around the universal language of the beautiful game. The show also explores the ups and downs of teenage life, as players maneuver love, friendships and family.
- International soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo executive produces with writers Liz Garcia and Josh Harto, alongside newly launched independent studio wiip. Ronaldo has an impressive social media following, with 122 million Facebook followers and 124 million Instagram followers.
- An animation note for today, mostly because the business decision is so rare these days: Adult Swim has given a staggering 70 episode order to smash animated hit RICK AND MORTY, more than double the amount of episodes already produced (31). The series just wrapped up its third season, delivering the highest ratings in Adult Swim history, and the #1 comedy with millennials in 2017.
- YouTube Red has its first certifiable mainstream hit with COBRA KAI, which has generated more than 20 million views since it first debuted less than a week ago. Critically praised (the show has a near unheard-of 100% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes) and reeking of 80s nostalgia, it’s no surprise that the show has been renewed for a second season already. Watch all ten episodes of Season 1 HERE; Season 2 will begin shooting this summer and launch in 2019.
* Ties Gunsmoke for the longest running drama in the history of US television