LAW & ORDER: SVU bounces up thanks to a boost from a Wednesday edition of THE VOICE; CBS renews 11 shows with comedies notably absent; 2 new docuseries from NatGeo
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.5/6||1.3/5||1.1/4||0.7/3||0.4/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||4.68||7.12||6.33||3.23||1.04|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, April 18, 2018
|8 p.m.||Empire (FOX)||1.7/7||5.32|
|The Voice (NBC)||1.4/6||8.24|
|The Goldbergs (ABC) – R||0.7/3||3.54|
|Riverdale (The CW)||0.4/2||1.08|
|8:30 p.m.||Alex, Inc. (ABC)||0.6/3||2.86|
|9 p.m.||Law & Order: SVU (NBC)||1.4/5||6.53|
|Criminal Minds (CBS) (9-11 p.m.) – F||0.9/4||5.64|
|Modern Family (ABC) – R||0.7/3||3.09|
|The Originals (The CW) – P||0.4/2||1|
|9:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC) – R||0.8/3||2.91|
|10 p.m.||Chicago PD (NBC)||1.2/5||6.58|
|Designated Survivor (ABC)||0.6/3||3.5|
- Fox had its usual Wednesday win with EMPIRE (1.6, down a tenth from last week), while STAR remained even with last week, scoring a 1.3 among adults 18-49.
- On NBC, LAW & ORDER: SVU had the biggest game, jumping up three tenths from last week, helped along with a lead-in from THE VOICE, which scored a 1.4. CHICAGO PD rose a tenth, earning a 1.2 for the night.
- SURVIVOR on CBS ticked up a tenth to 1.6 over last week, while the two hour CRIMINAL MINDS finale was flat with last week, earning a 0.9 (and once again one of the only dramas not renewed early by CBS – one can only hope that this show is finally ready to be put out to pasture).
- ABC’s ALEX INC continues to sink, earning a season low 0.6 with a repeat to lead it in, and I have serious doubts it will return. The podcast is charming, but the scripted comedy lacks any of the spontaneity, charm, or authenticity of the radio show.
- CW had an up night, with RIVERDALE rising a tenth to 0.4 and the final season of THE ORIGINALS premiered to a 0.4, up a tenth from last season’s debut.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, April 17, 2018
|NBA PLAYOFFS||TNT||10:39 PM||2,906||1.3|
|NBA PLAYOFFS||TNT||8:09 PM||2,880||1.2|
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,796||1.0|
|INSIDE THE INBA PLAYOFFS||TNT||1:05 AM||1,460||0.6|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES BEV HILLS||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,796||0.6|
|DEADLIEST CATCH||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,846||0.5|
|LAST OG, THE||TBS||10:30 PM||1,116||0.5|
|CHALLENGE: VENDET REUN||MTV||9:00 PM||745||0.5|
|FORGED IN FIRE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,164||0.4|
|MARRIED AT FIRST SIGHT||LIFETIME||9:00 PM||1,113||0.4|
|NHL QTR FINALS L||NBC SPORTS||7:33 PM||888||0.4|
|KNIFE OR DEATH||HISTORY||10:03 PM||1,137||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,227||0.4|
|CONCACAF LC – L||UNIVISION||8:30 PM||785||0.4|
|CHALLENGE: CHAMPS STARS||MTV||10:01 PM||567||0.4|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,140||0.4|
|INK MASTER||PARAMOUNT||10:00 PM||765||0.3|
|LITTLE PEOPLE, BIG WORLD||TLC||9:00 PM||1,518||0.3|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||1,385||0.3|
|FORBIDDEN: DYING FOR LOVE||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,176||0.3|
|LAST WORD W/L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,492||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,521||0.3|
|LAST OUTPOST||DISCOVERY||10:00 PM||985||0.3|
- TNT’s annual coverage of NBA playoff action once again took it to the top spots on cable Tuesday, with the network running back-to-back broadcasts of the Pelicans vs Trailblazers and Bucks vs Celtics game, scoring a 1.3 and 1.2 among adults 18-49, respectively. USA’s WWE SMACKDOWN rounded out the top three earning a 1.0, same as last week.
- In scripted cable, TBS’ new Tracy Morgan & Tiffany Haddish led comedy THE LAST OG fell slightly this time around, earning a 0.5 versus last week’s 0.6. USA’s UNSOLVED: THE MURDERS OF TUPAC AND NOTORIOUS BIG maintained a 0.3 once again.
- After a critically acclaimed first season, FX’s LEGION’s star continues to fall in its second season, not even making the top 50 on cable, although it did maintain its 0.2 rating week-to-week.
- CBS has announced another round of early renewals for the networks’ 2018-19 season, although most comedies (except for previously announced renewals for BBT, Young Sheldon, and Mom) are notably absent from the list. The dramas so far renewed are MacGyver, Hawaii Five-O, Blue Bloods, Bull, NCIS: New Orleans, NCIS: Los Angeles, Madam Secretary, Survivor, and Amazing Race. These join already renewed SWAT, SEAL Team, and NCIS for early drama renewals. For more in-depth analysis of what has not yet been picked up and speculation why, check out Deadline’s take HERE.
- NatGeo announced two interesting factual series during their upfront today, including an expansion on the Diana: In Her Own Words format and a docuseries about the US Secret Service. Notes and log lines below:
- IN THEIR OWN WORDS | 1895 Films, NHNZ
Log line: In Their Own Words will weaves stories together from original, long-forgotten audio and film recordings from around the world. Tentative topics for the first season of the series include the Deepwater Horizon disaster, the narco drug wars and the 2008 global financial crisis. Many of the interviews being cultivated for the series have never been heard or broadcast before. Each one is an extraordinary record on its own, but when combined into a single narrative they become a powerful and engaging format to experience the past as present.
- CHAIN OF COMMAND: SECRET SERVICE | Nat Geo Studios
Log line: Viewers will be immersed in the high-stakes world of a law enforcement agency that very few people know much about. Through rare access and partnership, Chain of Command: The Secret Service will follow USSS officers and agents in different field offices across the country, where viewers will see firsthand how the presidential security detail prepares and executes an elaborate security plan wherever the president travels, including on President Donald Trump’s recent visit to the Philippines.
- A second season is already planned for 2019 after National Geographic camera teams embed with the elite agency over the course of a year.
- This looks like a fun one: Science Channel is debuting a new science/prank show called SCIJINKS on 14 June, with Johnny Galecki (Big Bang Theory). The show is a mixture of science experiments, Mythbusters, and hidden camera prank shows, which promises never-before-seen pranks that will introduce audiences to remarkable and unusual scientific discoveries. Check out the trailer HERE.