Comey interview scores top marks for ABC; CMAs remain strong year-to-year; Hulu Live to sponsor NBA Playoffs, NHL Playoffs & Finals
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.8/6||1.3/5||0.8/3||0.6/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||11.66||7.12||1.69||4.0|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Sunday, April 15, 2018
|7 p.m.||America’s Funniest Home Videos (ABC)||1.2/5||6.2|
|60 Minutes (CBS)||1.1/5||10.41|
|Bob’s Burgers (FOX) – R||0.5/2||1.36|
|7:30 p.m.||Bob’s Burgers (FOX)||0.8/3||1.8|
|8 p.m.||Academy of Country Music Awards (CBS) (8-11 p.m.) – S||2.1/7||12.08|
|American Idol (ABC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.3/5||6.25|
|The Simpsons (FOX)||1.0/4||2.24|
|Little Big Shots (NBC)||0.7/3||5.52|
|8:30 p.m.||Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX)||0.9/3||1.82|
|9 p.m.||Genius Junior (NBC)||0.7/3||3.85|
|Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX)||0.7/3||1.53|
|9:30 p.m.||The Last Man on Earth (FOX)||0.6/2||1.39|
|10 p.m.||James Comey: ABC News Interview (ABC) – S||1.7/7||9.78|
- The Academy of Country Music Awards helped carry CBS to a ratings win on Sunday. On par with 2017’s ceremony, the 2018 awards turned in the same 2.1 rating as last year among adults 18-49 while improving overall viewership by 11% (12.08 million viewers last night versus 10.91 million in 2017).
- The big news of the night on ABC was the James Comey interview, grabbing a 1.7 in adults 18-49 and 9.78 million viewers. The rating not only trumped AMERICAN IDOL’s continuing downward slide (down another two tenths last night to land at 1.3), but was about double the average earned by Deception, which normally airs in that time slot.
- Both Fox and NBC were a bit quieter. On Fox, THE SIMPSONS improved a tenth this week to score a 1.0, while BOB’S BURGERS (0.8) remained flat. A pair of BROOKLYN NINE NINEs earned a 0.9 (up a tenth from last week in the same time slot) and a 0.7, while LAST MAN ON EARTH (0.6) fell a tenth.
- On NBC, both LITTLE BIG SHOTS (0.7, -.2) and TIMELESS (0.5, -.1) fell, while Neil Patrick Harris hosted GENIUS JUNIOR (0.7) remained even with last week.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Thursday, April 12, 2018
|JERSEY SHORE: FAM VACATION||MTV||8:00 PM||1,684||1.0|
|SOUTHERN CHARM||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,145||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,555||0.4|
|RUPAULS DRAG RACE||VH1||8:00 PM||694||0.4|
|SWAMP PEOPLE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,916||0.4|
|BEAT B.FLAY||FOOD||10:00 PM||1,035||0.3|
|IMPRACTICAL JOKERS||TRUTV||10:00 PM||649||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,734||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,112||0.3|
|SP ALL STAR FLIP||HOME||9:30 PM||1,274||0.3|
|TRUCK NIGHT IN AMERICA||HISTORY||10:03 PM||1,030||0.3|
|BRAXTON FAMILY VALUES||WETV||9:00 PM||834||0.3|
|LAST WORD W/L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,828||0.3|
|NHL QTR FINALS L: COLORADO||NBC SPORTS||9:46 PM||651||0.3|
|EX ON THE BEACH: WELCOME||MTV||10:00 PM||479||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,494||0.3|
|INGRAHAM ANGLE, THE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||2,756||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,564||0.3|
|FIRST 48 MINI||A&E||8:00 PM||871||0.3|
|CNN TONIGHT||CNN||10:00 PM||1,215||0.3|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||9:00 PM||1,276||0.2|
- GTL ruled Thursday once again, with MTV’s JERSEY SHORE FAMILY VACATION landing in the top spot on cable ratings. Despite falling a half point from its 1.5 series premiere, the show was miles ahead of other programming for the evening. However, overall viewership declined by roughly 34% week to week.
- Following up in the number 2 spot was the second episode of SOUTHERN CHARM. The Bravo show earned a 0.4, equal to its season premiere last week, while Rachel Maddow rounded out the top 3, also earning a 0.4 and grabbing 3.56 million viewers overall (by comparison, ultra conservative Hannity earned a 0.3 and 3.11 million viewers).
- Elsewhere on cable, RUPAUL’S DRAG RACE (VH1) and ATLANTA (FX) posted identical numbers, both with 0.4s (same as last week) and grabbing 694,000 viewers apiece.
- Freeform climbed into the top 25 on Thursday with new mermaid drama SIREN, which rose a tenth to 0.3, up from its previous 0.2.
- Hulu has renewed comedy/variety show I LOVE YOU, AMERICA starring Sarah Silverman. The second season of the show will have 11, 30-minute episodes and continue to connect “unlike-minded people” while Silverman tackles the symptoms of why we are where we are today. ILUA is Hulu’s first foray into the talk genre, jumping on the bandwagon to discuss the current political and emotional wasteland that is America’s view on politics today.
- NFL viewership may be declining, but NBA numbers continue a hot streak – playoffs kicked off this past Saturday to a 5-year ratings high for the sports league, according to ESPN and ABC. Coverage increased 17% over last season’s start, according to metered market ratings from Nielsen. The four-game slate averaged a 2.7 metered market rating. Helping to bolster live game coverage, Disney is putting additional resources and content around playoff season, most notably Kobe Bryant’s DETAIL, where the former NBA superstar analyzes playoff game action on the court, while offering commentary and analysis on strategy and game play. The program is available exclusively on Disney’s new OTT service ESPN+, and I’ll be keeping a close eye to how subscriptions grow for the fledgling service in these initial months.
- YouTube may have gotten the sponsorship rights to the NBA finals this year, but Hulu has just announced that it will sponsor the playoff games broadcast on TNT, to help promote its live service. In a partnership with Turner Sports, Hulu’s name will be displayed during TNT’s first round, Conference Semifinals and Western Conference Finals, while also running ads promoting Hulu Live. Hoping to replicate the same subscription-signup success YouTube Live enjoyed during the World Series, the NBA sponsorship announcement comes on the heels of another similar sports deal Hulu made with the NHL, where it will sponsor the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Final.
- And finally, in a move surprising no one, CBS has renewed flagship series NCIS, as word of a new agreement between the studio and star/executive producer Mark Harmon has been signed. Now in its 15th season, NCIS remains CBS’ #1 drama series and has been crowned as the most-watched drama in the world in three of the last four years, currently licensed in more than 200 territories.