ROSEANNE falls some week-to-week but stays on top for the night; Discovery announces new reality series UNDERCOVER BILLIONAIRE; TLC plans special with never-before-seen footage of JFK Jr. 1999 wedding
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.5/6||1.1/4||0.8/3||0.8/3||0.6/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||5.95||6.22||6.93||3.1||1.68|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Tuesday, April 10, 2018
|8 p.m.||Roseanne (ABC)||3.4/15||13.47|
|The Voice (NBC) – clip show||1.3/5||7.71|
|Lethal Weapon (FOX)||0.8/3||4.06|
|NCIS (CBS) – R||0.7/3||6.44|
|The Flash (The CW)||0.6/2||1.8|
|8:30 p.m.||The Middle (ABC)||1.9/8||7.48|
|9 p.m.||Black-ish (ABC)||1.4/5||5.1|
|Elton John: I’m Still Standing – A Grammy Salute (CBS) (9-11 p.m.) – S||0.9/4||7.12|
|LA to Vegas (FOX)||0.7/3||2.28|
|Black Lightning (The CW)||0.5/2||1.56|
|9:30 p.m.||Splitting Up Together (ABC)||1.2/4||4.2|
|New Girl (FOX) – P||0.7/3||1.99|
|10 p.m.||Chicago Med (NBC)||1.1/5||6.44|
|For the People (ABC)||0.6/2||2.72|
- ABC won the ratings game on Tuesday with another new episode of Roseanne, but NBC came out on top with total average viewers throughout the night (6.22 million). To begin with ABC, ratings for Tuesday shows seem to ebb and flow depending on how Roseanne is doing for the night, which still posted a big 3.4 rating among 18-49s, but is down half a point from last week’s episode. All shows behind it fell as well, with THE MIDDLE (1.9, -.3) taking the biggest week-to-week hit. Both SPLITTING UP TOGETHER (1.2) and FOR THE PEOPLE (0.6) dropped two tenths each, and BLACKISH (1.4) came down a tenth.
- NBC had a mostly flat night, with a VOICE clip show earning a 1.3 (two tenths below the rating for its last clip show), RISE slipping a tenth to 0.8 and CRIMINAL MINDS holding steady at 1.1.
- NEW GIRL premiered the first episode of its final season last night, but to pretty dismal results. The 0.7 rated season opener was a series low for the Zooey Deschanel led comedy. LETHAL WEAPON returned after four weeks off air to score 0.8, a season low for that show as well. LA TO VEGAS was flat week to week.
- On the CW, BLACK LIGHTNING put up its rock solid 0.5 while THE FLASH continues to slow down, posting a season low 0.6 for the night.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Monday, April 9, 2018
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||9:00 PM||4,069||1.5|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||8:00 PM||4,098||1.5|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||10:00 PM||3,597||1.4|
|LOVE & HIP HOP ATLANTA||VH1||8:00 PM||2,028||1.0|
|TEYANA & IMAN||VH1||9:00 PM||1,456||0.7|
|TEEN MOM||MTV||9:00 PM||1,250||0.7|
|VANDERPUMP RULES||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,492||0.6|
|LEAVE IT TO STEVIE||VH1||9:30 PM||1,170||0.6|
|AMERICAN DAD||TBS||10:00 PM||921||0.5|
|FAST N LOUD||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,315||0.5|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,402||0.4|
|SHIFTING GEARS||DISCOVERY||10:01 PM||1,068||0.4|
|SPRING BAKING CHAMPION||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,299||0.4|
|TEEN MOM: YOUNG AND PREG||MTV||10:01 PM||718||0.4|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||1,501||0.4|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,348||0.3|
|ERIN BURNETT OUTFRONT||CNN||7:00 PM||1,375||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,942||0.3|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||9:00 PM||1,402||0.3|
|LAST WORD W/L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,763||0.3|
|ANW: NINJA VS NINJA||USA||11:11 PM||759||0.3|
|INGRAHAM ANGLE, THE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||2,809||0.3|
|ALL IN W/CHRIS HAYES||MSNBC||8:00 PM||2,468||0.3|
|TERROR, THE||AMC||9:00 PM||1,171||0.3|
|AMERICAN PICKERS||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,791||0.3|
- To no one’s surprise, WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW took the top three spots on cable Monday night, ticking up three tenths coming off of its massive live Wrestlemania event from Sunday night. The USA broadcast scored a peak 1.5 rating among 18-49s across the 3-hour broadcast, dipping a tenth in the third hour, and averaging 3.92 million viewers during the night.
- Rounding out the top 5 were VH1’s LOVE AND HIP HOP: ATLANTA, coming in a tenth up, earning a 1.0 and TEYANA AND IMAM, scoring a 0.7.
- Elsewhere on the list TEEN MOM on MTV rose two tenths from 0.5 to 0.7 and VH1’s LEAVE IT TO STEVE ticked up a tenth to 0.6. In scripted cable, AMC’s newest drama THE TERROR just clung on to its place in the top 25, maintaining a 0.3 for a second week in a row.
- Whether you’re interested or not, the time is nearly here for the next Royal Wedding, with more outlets announcing original programming tied to the nuptials between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. Newest additions below:
- THE ROYAL WEDDING WATCH | PBS | BBC Studios (Topical & Live Unit) | 14 May
Log Line: A 5-part nightly series in the last days leading up to the live broadcast of the wedding on 19 May. Hosted by Meredith Viera and Matt Baker, the nightly show will cover details surrounding the preparations, while joined by in-studio experts, commentators, and special guests. A segment dedicated to the history and protocol of the royal vows will air every night, with English historian Lucy Worsley commenting.
- INSIDE THE ROYAL WEDDING: HARRY & MEGHAN | NBC | NBC News | 16 May
Log Line: A 1-hour primetime special helmed by Today show hosts Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb. The broadcast will feature interviews with close friends of the couple, along with prominent figures from the worlds of fashion, sports and show business. (Additional live coverage on Today is planned for both 17 and 18 May).
- Fuse Media has unveiled its newest shows for 2018-19 in an upfront conference call this morning. The company has had some impressive growth from 2016-17, with their core programming strategy of targeting 18-34 year olds, music as a top priority content creation area, and partnering with Complex to help information their marketing strategy. Linear ratings increased 33% with median age coming down two years and total view time increased 22%. Of course, they’re cagily not saying what raw numbers are attributed to that growth, but nevertheless CEO Michael Schwimmer announced a programming slate that incorporates much of the same strategy. Highlights below:
- THE 212 | Docuseries
Log Line: Follows six millennials in New York City’s music, fashion and art scenes, all looking to get noticed by major stars in the music world.
- HIP-HOP HOUDINI | Variety Show
Street musician Smoothini interacts with Iggy Azalea, A$AP Ferg, and others.
- SIDE GIG WITH T-PAIN | Docuseries
Log Line: Chronicles the path of young entrepreneurs
- Gimlet Media announced three new series’ podcasts today, all of which are worth tracking as potential properties to develop for series. All episodes become available 18 April; notes below:
- SANDRA | Dramedy | Mimi O’Donnell, EP
Written by: Kevin Moffett & Matthew Derby
Starring: Kristen Wiig, Alia Shawkat, Ethan Hawke
Log Line: Helen thought her new job would help her forget her dreary hometown, but working behind the curtain on everyone’s favorite A.I. isn’t quite the escape she expected.
- THE HABITAT | Docuseries | Lynn Levy, Host
Log line: Explores the lives of six individuals who remained isolated for a year inside a small dome in Hawaii on a simulated Mars mission.
- WE CAME TO WIN | Sports Journalism | Nando Vila, Host
Log Line: A deep dive into the societal impact and political implications behind some of the most fabled soccer matches of all time, all ahead of the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia. Three episodes of We Came to Win will premiere on Wednesday, April 25 with seven weekly installments to follow leading up to the 2018 World Cup.
- Here’s an interesting format that Discovery Channel just ordered that is a twist on Undercover Boss; I have an email out to get more information on the project; please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime:
- UNDERCOVER BILLIONAIRE | Discovery Studios | Competition | Self Contained
Log Line: A new series that taps the expertise of a self-made mogul to see if it’s possible to create a million-dollar company in just 90 days with just a few dollars in his pocket. The mogul, whose true identity will remain anonymous, will be dropped off in a remote community with little resources and no contacts. He’ll need to build connections, relationships and get a job that pays cash to build a company from scratch. If successful, at the end of the 90 days, he’ll turn over the company he built to the people who helped him out along the way, and finally, reveal his true identity.
- And finally, a one-off to keep an eye on: TLC teased a 2-hour special about the long-secret 1996 wedding between John F. Kennedy Jr and Carolyn Bessette. Currently titled JFK JR. & CAROLYN BESSETT: A CAMELOT WEDDING, the special promises to reveal never-before-seen footage from their wedding, including the rehearsal dinner, ceremony, and reception, with new commentary from famous wedding guests, friends, and family. No premiere date is set.