THE VOICE predictably leads the night; WALKING DEAD rebounds; Apple lands FOUNDATION; Oxygen sets 10 new true-crime series
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.6/6||1.3/5||0.8/3||0.4/2||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||8.01||6.59||5.16||1.69||1.11|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Monday, April 9, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Voice (NBC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.9/7||9.75|
|American Idol (ABC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.5/6||7.63|
|Kevin Can Wait (CBS)||0.9/4||5.83|
|Lucifer (FOX) – R||0.4/2||1.69|
|Legends of Tomorrow (The CW) – F||0.4/2||1.43|
|8:30 p.m.||Man with a Plan (CBS)||0.9/4||5.53|
|9 p.m.||Superior Donuts (CBS)||0.8/3||4.88|
|The Resident (FOX) – R||0.3/1||1.69|
|iZombie (The CW)||0.2/1||0.8|
|9:30 p.m.||Living Biblically (CBS)||0.6/3||3.86|
|10 p.m.||Good Girls (NBC)||1.0/4||4.51|
|The Crossing (ABC)||0.8/3||4.52|
- Not much movement week to week on broadcast last night – THE VOICE on NBC remained number one overall, earning the same 1.9 rating among 18-49s as it did last week, while GOOD GIRLS ticked up a tenth to 1.0.
- AMERICAN IDOL managed to bump up slightly from last week, gaining a tenth to earn a 1.5 last night. However, new sci-fi thriller THE CROSSING lost a bit of ground in its second week on air, declining two tenths to earn a 0.8.
- CBS remained mostly steady, with new episodes of KEVIN CAN WAIT (0.9), MAN WITH A PLAN (0.9), and SUPERIOR DONUTS (0.8) all holding steady with their last outings. LIVING BIBLICALLY continues to slide, down two tenths to 0.6 (and very doubtful that it will return to the schedule next season), while SCORPION declined a tenth, earning a 0.7 for the night.
- CW had a steady night; the LEGENDS OF TOMORROW finale earned the show its usual 0.4 rating, while a new episode of iZOMBIE earned a steady 0.2 (down a tenth from where the Penn & Teller special performed in the same time slot last week).
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Sunday, April 8, 2018
|THE WALKING DEAD||AMC||9:00 PM||6,665||2.8|
|TALKING DEAD||AMC||10:15 PM||2,529||1.0|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA||BRAVO||8:00 PM||2,444||0.9|
|MIKE TYSON MYSTERIES||ADULT SWIM||11:30 PM||1,188||0.6|
|MLB SUNDAY NIGHT||ESPN||8:00 PM||1,576||0.5|
|NASCAR M.E. CUP RACING||FS1||1:54 PM||2,823||0.5|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF POTOMAC||BRAVO||10:00 PM||1,228||0.4|
|NAKED AND AFRAID||DISCOVERY||10:00 PM||1,407||0.4|
|BALLMASTRZ: 9009||ADULT SWIM||12:15 AM||773||0.4|
|BALLMASTRZ: 9009||ADULT SWIM||12:00 PM||812||0.4|
|GUY’S GROCERY GAMES||FOOD||9:00 PM||994||0.3|
|CARIBBEAN LIFE||HGTV||9:30 PM||1,818||0.4|
|THE STAIRCASE: AN AMERICAN MURDER MYSTERY||ID||10:00 PM||1,266||0.4|
|LAST WEEK TONIGHT||HBO||11:03 PM||1,135||0.4|
|ISLAND LIFE||HGTV||10:00 PM||1,746||0.3|
|EVIL LIVES HERE||ID||9:00 PM||1,213||0.3|
|CARIBBEAN LIFE||HGTV||9:00 PM||1,730||0.3|
|HOW CLOSE CAN I BEACH||HGTV||8:30 PM||1,594||0.3|
|LONG ISLAND MEDIUM||TLC||8:00 PM||1,673||0.3|
|YOUR HUSBAND IS CHEATING ON US||BRAVO||9:00 PM||858||0.3|
|HOW CLOSE CAN I BEACH||HGTV||8:00 PM||1,518||0.3|
|LIVE FROM||GOLF||1:00 PM||1,441||0.3|
|ISLAND LIFE||HGTV||10:30 PM||1,558||0.3|
|WATCH WHAT HAPPENS LIVE||BRAVO||11:00 PM||849||0.3|
- Sunday’s usual top performers, WALKING DEAD and REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA continued to top the cable chart and improved their performance week-to-week. In the top slot, WALKING DEAD earned a 2.8 among adults 18-49, up two tenths from a season low 2.6 last week, and recovering a bit of its overall audience (6.67 million viewers last night versus the previous 6.3 million a week ago). TALKING DEAD followed in the number two position, scoring a 1.0 for the night. Rounding out the top 3 was REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA, also up a tenth from last week, posting a 0.9 for the night.
- Elsewhere on cable, Adult Swim came back strong with several shows in the top 25, among them MIKE TYSON MYSTERIES (#4 / 0.6) and back to back episodes of BALLMASTRZ: 9009 (each earning 0.4s).
- LAST WEEK TONIGHT (0.4) and HOMELAND (0.3) both remained steady week to week.
- Apple continues to build out its first slate of high-profile prestige projects. Their latest acquisition is a TV series adaptation of Isaac Asimov’s seminal sci-fi series FOUNDATION from Skydance Television off a script by David S. Goyer and Josh Friedman. Development has been fast-tracked, and the property is already being looked at for a straight-to-series pickup. Foundation, a complex saga of humans all living under the rule of a Galactic Empire, fits into the large-scale spectacle/event type series that Game of Thrones has been for HBO, and that other outlets have been trying to emulate in anticipation of the vacuum that will be created once it goes off the air.
- Khloe Kardashian is diversifying her reality roster, exec producing new original series TWISTED SISTERS for Investigation Discovery. The 6×60 true crime show is being described as “a look inside the most outrageous and provocative crimes ever committed by the unlikeliest of pairs – sisters.” Set to premiere in 2019, Twisted Sisters is produced for Investigation Discovery and IDGO by 44 Blue Productions, with Stephanie Noonan Drachkovitch of 44 Blue Productions and Kardashian as executive producers and Tammy Wood as showrunner.
- Oxygen has announced a new slate of 10 true crime series for the 2018-19 season. Full details can be found HERE; I’ve included a few highlights below. My lunch with Oxygen’s heads of development is next week – should you have any questions, please feel free to send them through and I will get answers at that lunch:
- SERIAL KILLER WITH PIERS MORGAN | Plum Pictures, Ferret Productions
With unprecedented access to some of the most dangerous maximum security prisons in the United States, “Serial Killer with Piers Morgan” will explore the minds of three of America’s most depraved serial killers. Having never spoken on camera about their crimes until now, each landmark episode will be built around Piers’ chilling face-to-face interview with a killer.
- A WEDDING AND A MURDER | Leepson Bounds Entertainment | Premiere: 3 June, ‘18
This series chronicles relationships which began with the promise of an engagement, and explores dream weddings that are supposed to bring only the happiest memories of love and good times, but ultimately end up shrouded by mystery and murder. Each hour-long episode will expose a grisly homicide set against the backdrop of what appears to be wedded bliss. From the bride and groom, to a family member, or even a jealous wedding guest – anyone could be the victim or suspect. In many cases the wedding serves as a powerful catalyst for murder, giving the killer the motivation they need to commit the unthinkable.
- PRICE OF DUTY | Intellectual Property Corporation
Homicide detectives are trained to stay detached, to remain calm and stoic during every investigation no matter how ugly the crime. But even the most seasoned detectives have a breaking point. A seminal case so shocking, so profoundly heartbreaking, that no amount of training could shield them from its emotional toll. In each episode of “Price of Duty,” a homicide detective will share the story of the most haunting case of their career. From their first steps on the crime scene, to the final bust and the emotional aftermath – viewers will go on an emotional rollercoaster ride to the front lines of a riveting homicide investigation that reveals a deeply personal side of our nation’s detectives that few ever see.