WILL & GRACE finale scores season-low; Discovery announces two new docuseries
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.3/5||1.2/5||0.8/3||0.7/3||0.5/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||8.19||5.25||3.63||2.61||1.62|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Thursday, April 5, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Big Bang Theory (CBS)||2.3/11||12.73|
|Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)||1.6/6||6.75|
|Supernatural (The CW)||0.6/2||1.87|
|8:30 p.m.||Young Sheldon (CBS)||1.9/8||11.57|
|AP Bio (NBC)||0.6/2||2.28|
|9 p.m.||Mom (CBS)||1.4/6||8.46|
|Station 19 (ABC)||1.0/4||5.12|
|Will & Grace (NBC) – F||0.9/4||3.6|
|Showtime at the Apollo (FOX)||0.6/2||2.68|
|Arrow (The CW)||0.4/2||1.37|
|9:30 p.m.||Life in Pieces (CBS)||0.9/4||6.16|
|10 p.m.||Chicago Fire (NBC)||1.0/4||5.41|
- It was another quiet night on broadcast, with NBC’s WILL & GRACE slumping to a season low 0.9 for its finale, matching its rating from last week. The rest of NBC’s comedy lineup was flat, with SUPERSTORE (0.8), AP BIO (0.6), and LIFE IN PIECES (0.9) all posting the same numbers as last week. CHICAGO FIRE managed to tick up a tenth to 1.0.
- ABC’s Shonda Thursdays were off a little, with GREY’S ANATOMY (1.6) down a tenth and lukewarm STATION 19 dropping two tenths to score a 1.0 among adults 18-49. Approaching its series finale, SCANDAL came up a tenth this week, earning a 0.9.
- BIG BANG THEORY on CBS easily led the night, although its 2.3 rating was down a tenth from last week. YOUNG SHELDON (1.9) also fell a tenth, while MOM (1.4), LIFE IN PIECES (0.9), and SWAT (0.8) were all steady.
- Fox’s GOTHAM (0.7) and SHOWTIME AT THE APOLLO (0.6) matched last week (Showtime has remained rock solid at 0.6 all season), while SUPERNATURAL on CW dropped a tenth to 0.6 this time around. ARROW posted its usual 0.4.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Wednesday, April 4, 2018
|NBA REGULAR SEASON||ESPN||10:35 PM||1,287||0.5|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON||ESPN||8:01 PM||1,294||0.5|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF NYC||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,393||0.5|
|STREET OUTLAWS: NO PREP||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,271||0.5|
|MY 600-LB LIFE: N/A||TLC||8:00 PM||1,423||0.4|
|BLACK INK CREW||VH1||9:00 PM||884||0.4|
|STREET OUTLAWS: NPK SPC||DISCOVERY||8:00 PM||1,073||0.4|
|IRON CHEF GAUNTLET||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,028||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,779||0.3|
|MURDER CHOSE ME||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,240||0.3|
|SEE NO EVIL||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,225||0.3|
|CONCACAF LC – L||UNIVISION||10:15 PM||649||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,621||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,615||0.3|
|AMERICAN PICKERS||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,491||0.3|
|BEAUTY BAR||VH1||10:00 PM||587||0.3|
|TWIN TURBOS||DISCOVERY||10:02 PM||769||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER 1AM L||ESPN||1:13 AM||575||0.3|
|SKIN TIGHT||TLC||10:02 PM||883||0.3|
|MAGICIANS, THE||SYFY||9:00 PM||659||0.2|
|LITTLE WOMEN LA||LIFETIME||9:00 PM||752||0.2|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||2,938||0.2|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,581||0.2|
- It was a low rated Wednesday on cable, with ESPN’s broadcast of NBA games taking the top spots; both the San Antonio vs LA Lakers and Boston vs Toronto matches earned 0.5s among adults 18-49 and with nearly identical viewing numbers around the 1.9 million mark.
- THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF NYC rounded out the top 3, also with a 0.5, while VH1’s BLACK INK CREW dropped a tenth week to week, earning a 0.4 for the night.
- In scripted cable news, newcomer Krypton on SyFy matched its 0.3 rating from last week, while cult hit THE MAGICIANS finished up its third season a tenth down, scoring a 0.2 for the night.
- Discovery has set two-docuseries, an Egyptian excavation deep dive and a Steven Spielberg-backed series probing the nature of human hatred. Production notes and loglines below:
- WHY WE HATE (working title) | Escape Artists, Jigsaw Productions, Amblin TV | 6×60
Log line: Drawing on research in psychology, neuroscience, sociology, and history, this series traces the evolutionary basis of hate and uses stories from both past and present to reveal the nature of this primal and universal emotion. Along the way, WHY WE HATE reveals contemporary links to ancient behavior and uses science as a basis for explaining the nature of hatred and the human mind. At the heart of this timely series is a question: If we can figure out why we hate, where hate originates, and how it is amplified, can we find a way to prevent it?
- VALLEY OF THE KINGS | TBDX60
Slated: Q4 2018
Log line: Takes place at Egypt’s famed burial ground of the pharoahs in a search for the lost tomb of an ancient royal. Led by renowned archaeologist Dr. Zahi Hawass, the crew of more than 100 Egyptian workers are digging in the largely untouched western portion of the valley, where leading archaeologists believe several royal tombs lie hidden.
- Paramount has green lit a pilot for FIRST WIVES CLUB, a reimagining of the 1996 Paramount film, to be produced by sibling company Paramount Television (anyone sensing a theme here?). This is the first pilot order for the network after rebranding from Spike Network earlier this year. Pardon me if I’m not overly impressed by this one; it seems like lazy development, if cost effective, mining the Paramount’s library and producing/distribution all in house.