ROSEANNE gets off to roaring start; CBS renews SWAT and SEAL TEAM; looking ahead to 2018-19 primetime on broadcast networks
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||2.8/10||1.2/5||1.1/4||0.5/2||0.4/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||9.9||6.39||10.33||1.9||1.18|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Tuesday, March 27, 2018
|8 p.m.||Roseanne (ABC) (8-9 p.m.) – P||5.1/21||18.16|
|The Voice (NBC)||1.6/7||8.88|
|Lethal Weapon (FOX) – R||0.5/2||1.88|
|The Flash (The CW) – R||0.2/1||0.82|
|9 p.m.||Black-ish (ABC)||2.6/10||8.71|
|LA to Vegas (FOX)||0.6/2||2.02|
|Black Lightning (The CW)||0.5/2||1.54|
|9:30 p.m.||Splitting Up Together (ABC) – P||2.2/8||7.2|
|The Mick (FOX)||0.6/2||1.79|
|10 p.m.||Chicago Med (NBC)||1.0/4||5.81|
|NCIS: New Orleans (CBS)||0.9/4||8.55|
|For the People (ABC)||0.9/4||3.58|
- Well, I’m sure ABC is popping some champagne this morning after the huge debut for the revival of ROSEANNE. The tenth season of the show came back last night, premiering to a 5.1 among adults 18-49 and an overall audience of 18.16 million. It’s the highest rated comedy debut in 3 ½ years and highest rated content for a Tuesday night in six years. Breaking down the numbers, Roseanne grew half-hour to half-hour, with the premiere grabbing a 4.9 at 8pm, which rose to a 5.3 for the second episode at 8:30pm.
- Unsurprisingly, Roseanne’s numbers boosted the rest of the night for ABC, with BLACKISH grabbing a 2.6, a full point and a half up from last week, while the debut of divorced family comedy SPLITTING UP TOGETHER debuted to a more than solid 2.2 (expect that number to drop next week), and even struggling Shonda show FOR THE PEOPLE rose up three tenths at the end of the night, earning a 0.9.
- ABC’s good fortune boded ill for the rest of the networks, which were all down or even at best. On CBS, both NCIS (1.3) and franchise spin-off NCIS: NEW ORLEANS (0.9) were off, down .2 and .1, respectively, while BULL (1.2) posted even with its last new episode a few weeks ago.
- NBC took the biggest hit, with THE VOICE down half a point from last week’s Tuesday show, earning a 1.6 in the key demo, while RISE dropped three tenths and came in under a 1, scoring 0.8 for the evening. CHICAGO MED registered a 1.0 in adults 18-49, off two tenths.
- Fox only aired two new shows last night; LA TO VEGAS (0.6) managed to hold steady, while THE MICK (also 0.6) came down a tenth.
- BLACK LIGHTNING on CW earned its usual 0.5 for the night.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Monday, March 26, 2018
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||9:00 PM||3,547||1.2|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||8:00 PM||3,403||1.2|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||10:00 PM||3,150||1.1|
|LOVE AND HIP HOP ATLANTA||VH1||8:00 PM||1,900||1|
|TEYANA AND IMAN||VH1||9:00 PM||1,562||0.8|
|LEAVE IT TO STEVIE 2||VH1||9:31 PM||1,478||0.7|
|LEAVE IT TO STEVIE 2||VH1||10:01 PM||1,379||0.7|
|TEEN MOM||MTV||9:00 PM||1,044||0.6|
|VANDERPUMP RULES||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,369||0.6|
|AMERICAN DAD||TBS||10:00 PM||974||0.5|
|FAST N LOUD||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,311||0.5|
|SHIFTING GEARS||DISCOVERY||10:01 PM||1,194||0.5|
|TERROR, THE||AMC||10:00 PM||1,388||0.4|
|ALIENIST, THE||TNT||9:00 PM||1,838||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,947||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,902||0.3|
|DAILY SHOW||COMEDY||11:00 PM||1,016||0.3|
|SPRING BAKING CHAMPION||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,276||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||845||0.3|
|COLD HEARTED||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,121||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,277||0.3|
|TEEN MOM: YOUNG AND PREG||MTV||10:01 PM||534||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||2,868||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,358||0.3|
|FINAL SPACE||TBS||10:30 PM||535||0.3|
- Several new shows premiered on Monday night, but as usual, it was USA’s WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW that took the top three spots. The 3-hour broadcast peaked at 1.2 among 18-49s for a third week in a row, dropping to a 1.1 in the 10pm hour.
- The series premiere of TEYANA AND IMAN scored faily high, rounding out the top five with a 0.8 and 1.56 million viewers. LOVE & HIP HOP, also on VH1 dropped slightly to 1.0, but still good enough for the number 4 spot. Additionally for VH1 were the season 2 premiere episodes of LEAVE IT TO STEVIE, which landed in the top ten with a pair of 0.7s.
- In scripted cable, TNT’s THE ALIENIST fell a tenth in its final week; the finale show scored a 0.3, down from 0.4.
- CBS has made some early renewal announcements, bringing back two freshman dramas, SWAT and SEAL TEAM for a second season. Along with the early renewal for comedy YOUNG SHELDON, the trio of programming for the network represents three of the top five most-watched shows of the 2017-18 season, according to Nielsen.
- Speaking of network renewals, with pilots in the thick of shooting and cuts starting to trickle in next month, it’s time to look at what’s already on the schedule and who’s going to get a repeat performance or the axe. For an initial breakdown of the broadcast landscape going in to the 2018-19 season, check out Deadline’s first assessment HERE.