60 MINUTES grabs largest audience in 10 years, thanks to Stormy Daniels; AMERICAN IDOL appears to stabilize in ratings; Netflix renews ONE DAY AT A TIME + 5 docuseries
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||2.5/10||1.3/5||0.8/3||0.7/3|
|Total Viewers (millions)||14.11||6.01||1.72||3.85|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Sunday, March 25, 2018
|7 p.m.||NCAA Tournament overrun||5.9/25||25.56|
|America’s Funniest Home Videos (ABC)||0.9/4||5.3|
|Little Big Shots (NBC) – R||0.5/2||2.66|
|Bob’s Burgers (FOX) – R||0.5/2||1.11|
|7:30 p.m.||60 Minutes (CBS)||4.0/16||21.26|
|Bob’s Burgers (FOX)||0.8/3||1.71|
|8 p.m.||American Idol (ABC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.7/6||7.38|
|The Simpsons (FOX)||1.0/4||2.14|
|Little Big Shots (NBC)||0.9/4||5.89|
|8:30 p.m.||Instinct (CBS)||1.4/5||10.57|
|Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX)||0.9/4||1.85|
|9 p.m.||Family Guy (FOX)||0.9/4||1.9|
|Genius Junior (NBC)||0.7/3||4.23|
|9:30 p.m.||NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)||1.0/4||8.56|
|The Last Man on Earth (FOX)||0.7/3||1.6|
|10 p.m.||Deception (ABC)||0.8/3||4.01|
|10:30 p.m.||Madam Secretary (CBS) (10:30-11 p.m.)||0.7/3||6.54|
- It was the very definition of a bullish night for CBS, with massive audience shares with both NCAA tournament games (which may result in higher than normal adjustments to final ratings) and a 60 MINUTES interview with adult film actress and Trump affair accuser Stormy Daniels. First, NCAA March Madness is down to the Elite Eight, with ratings up 3 points from last week among 18-49s and double the audience, raking in 25.56 million viewers. It’s fair to say that 60 MINUTES ratings were partially due to an assist from the game, but the highly publicized interview drew plenty of viewers on its own; the show scored a 4.0 (its best rating all season) and more than 21 million viewers; the biggest audience the show has had since President Barak Obama and wife Michelle sat down with the group in 2008. Ratings continued up all evening, although with dwindling returns as the night wore on. New drama INSTINCT was up four tenths in its second show, drawing a 1.4 for the week, while mainstays NCIS: LA (1.0) and MADAM SECRETARY (0.7) were up two tenths and a tenth, respectively.
- ABC’s night was relatively steady; while both AMERICAN IDOL (1.7) and DECEPTION (0.8) were down a tenth each, both shows signs of working into a ratings groove into the spring. I’ll be keeping an eye on how AI performs against The Voice tonight, as usual.
- NBC lost the most ground on Sunday, with all shows coming in down from last week. Only DECEPTION managed to stay close to its previous week, dropping a tenth to 0.6, while the second episode of LITTLE BIG SHOTS (0.9) came down two tenths and new game show GENIUS JUNIOR sank three tenths, bringing in a 0.7 after premiering to a 1.0 last week.
- Fox enjoyed a decent night; both BOB’s BURGERS (0.6) and THE SIMPSONS (1.0) improved by a tenth and two tenths, respectively, while BROOKLYN NINE NINE (0.9) and LAST MAN ON EARTH (0.7) matched ratings from last week.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Thursday, March 22, 2018
|NCAA BSKBL CHMP TH||TBS||7:24 PM||3,038||0.9|
|NCAA BSKBL CHMP TH||TBS||9:58 PM||2,710||0.9|
|NCAA BK CHP-BRG-PRT||TBS||9:40 PM||2,137||0.7|
|NCAA BSK POST GAME||TBS||12:31 AM||1,104||0.4|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||9:00 PM||2,295||0.4|
|RUPAULS DRAG RACE||VH1||8:00 PM||785||0.4|
|60 DAYS IN REUNION||A&E||10:00 PM||848||0.4|
|SWAMP PEOPLE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,768||0.4|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||2,214||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,981||0.4|
|IMPRACTICAL JOKERS||TRUTV||10:00 PM||690||0.3|
|BRAXTON FAMILY VALUES||WETV||9:00 PM||921||0.3|
|CNN TONIGHT||CNN||10:00 PM||1,351||0.3|
|TRUCK NIGHT IN AMERICA||HISTORY||10:03 PM||1,082||0.3|
|FLIP OR FLOP VEGAS||HOME||9:00 PM||1,303||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||2,919||0.3|
|BEAT B.FLAY||FOOD||10:00 PM||891||0.3|
|PANDORAS BOX: UNLEASHED||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,184||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,452||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,693||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,477||0.3|
|LAST WORD W/L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,268||0.3|
- NCAA Tournament action predictably dominated over cable ratings for a second week in a row Thursday night, with four of the five top spots belonging to March Madness games. TBS’ broadcasts of the Michigan vs Texas and Gonzaga vs Florida State games took top honors with a pair of 0.9 ratings among adults 18-49, with two additional match-ups bringing in a 0.7 and 0.4 each.
- Rounding out the top five (in a slight, but not so surprising surprise) was Anderson Cooper, whose interview with ex-playmate and (yet another!) Trump affair accuser Karen McDougal. Scoring a 0.4 among adults 18-49, Cooper raked in the largest audience he’s had in months, pulling in nearly 2.3 million viewers for the night (although he still lagged behind Hannity and Maddow by around 600K viewers for the same hour).
- Elsewhere on cable ratings, both ATLANTA (0.3) on FX and SWAMP PEOPLE (0.4) on History maintained their numbers from last week, while cycle 10 of RUPAUL’s DRAG RACE premiered to a 0.4, well in line with the competition series’ previous ratings.
- Netflix continues to expand on its unscripted docuseries slate, this time by greenlighting a 10×60 series following the 2018 Formula 1 season. Due to arrive in Q1 2019, the series will attempt to immerse the audience inside the cockpits, paddock, and lives of key players in Formula 1 racing, with exclusive access to the world’s fastest drivers, team principals and owners, as well as insight into the management of Formula 1 itself. Box to Box Films produces with Sophie Todd showrunning.
- Still on the subject of Netflix, and mostly to no surprise, the streamer has renewed popular multi-cam sitcom ONE DAY AT A TIME for a third season. The 13-episode season will bow in early 2019, further following the adventures of the Cuban-American family led by matriarch Rita Morena.
- More Netflix renewals, this time on the unscripted side, and also to no surprise:
- QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY | Scout Productions | no release set
- DOPE | Wall to Wall Media Ltd | Season 2: 20 April
Follows the war on drugs from the perspective of dealers, users, and the police
- DRUG LORDS | ITN Productions | no release set
Relates the histories of the world’s most notorious drug kingpins and their organizations.
- NAILED IT! | Magical Elves | no release set
A baking competition where the home cooks are terrible, but take a shot at re-creating an edible masterpiece for a $10,000 USD prize.
- THE TOYS THAT MADE US | The Nacelle Company | no release set
The stories and minds behind some of history’s most iconic toy franchises. (Seriously, if nothing else, watch the Barbie episode from Season 1 – it’s fascinating, hilarious, and RUTHLESS!)
- HBO is set to exclusively premiere a docuseries about tennis icon Serena Williams. Titled BEING SERENA, the 5-part series will chronicle the life of the tennis star during a pivotal moment in her private and professional life. Given unprecedented access to her life and home, the show deeply explores her pregnancy, becoming a new mother, marriage, and documenting her journey back to the court. Premieres 2 May; see the trailer HERE.