ABC comedies rebound week-to-week; STATION 19 has lukewarm start; Netflix & The New York Times partner to produce docuseries based on DIAGNOSIS column; Blumhouse TV & Time team up for two gun violence docus
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.3/5||1.2/5||1.2/5||1.2/5||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||4.97||6.73||6.04||4.76||0.84|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, March 21, 2018
|8 p.m.||Survivor (CBS)||1.7/7||8.52|
|The Goldbergs (ABC)||1.5/6||5.83|
|The X-Files (FOX) – F||0.9/3||3.36|
|Law & Order: SVU (NBC) – R||0.8/3||4.78|
|Riverdale (The CW)||0.4/2||1.13|
|8:30 p.m.||Speechless (ABC) – F||1.3/5||4.64|
|9 p.m.||9-1-1 (FOX) – F||1.7/7||6.58|
|Modern Family (ABC)||1.6/6||5.56|
|Law & Order: SVU (NBC)||1.4/5||6.34|
|SEAL Team (CBS)||1.0/4||6.47|
|Life Sentence (The CW)||0.2/1||0.54|
|9:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC)||1.3/5||4.5|
|10 p.m.||Chicago PD (NBC)||1.3/5||6.99|
|Criminal Minds (CBS)||0.9/4||5.22|
|Designated Survivor (ABC)||0.7/3||4.01|
- It was generally an up night for broadcast, with Fox taking the usual lead for Wednesdays. Finales for both X-FILES (0.9) and 911 (1.7) ticked up a tenth from last week
- Also up for the night was the lately belabored ABC, which saw all of its comedies for the night rise by multiple tenths, with the largest week-to-week gains belonging to SPEECHLESS, scoring a 1.3 in adults 18-49, up four tenths from last week and earning its second highest rating for the season. Next highest was AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE, coming up three tenths to earn a 1.3 last night, while MODERN FAMILY came up two tenths to 1.6. Both THE GOLDBERGS (1.5) and DESIGNATED SURVIVOR (0.7) were even with their last episodes.
- CBS was mostly flat for the night; SURVIVOR’s 1.7 was even with last week, same as the 0.9 earned by CRIMINAL MINDS. A new episode of SEAL TEAM ticked up a tenth to 1.0.
- Long running series LAW & ORDER: SVU (1.4) and CHICAGO PD (1.3) were each up a tenth for NBC.
- On CW, RIVERDALE (0.4) and LIFE SENTENCE (0.2) rated their usual numbers.
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||2.4/10||1.4/6||1.1/4||0.7/3||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||8.05||6.11||5.64||2.4||0.79|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Thursday, March 22, 2018
|8 p.m.||NCAA Tournament (CBS) (8-9:30 p.m.)||2.3/9||7.93|
|Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)||1.9/8||7.49|
|Supernatural (The CW) – R||0.3/1||0.97|
|8:30 p.m.||AP Bio (NBC)||0.7/3||2.87|
|9 p.m.||Chicago Fire (NBC)||1.2/5||6.51|
|Station 19 (ABC) (9-11 p.m) – P||1.2/5||5.42|
|Showtime at the Apollo (FOX)||0.6/2||2.37|
|Arrow (The CW) – R||0.2/1||0.61|
|9:30 p.m.||NCAA Tournament (CBS) (9:30-11 p.m.)||2.5/10||8.17|
|10 p.m.||Chicago Fire (NBC)||1.2/5||7.05|
- ABC fired another Shonda-shot at audiences last night with the premiere of Grey’s spinoff STATION 19. While it didn’t set ratings on fire last night, the debut of the firehouse-centered show was no slouch, either. It scored a solid 1.2 among 18-49s in the slot, slightly ahead of where Scandal has been rating in the same hour, and held on to 72% of its lead in audience from Grey’s. Speaking of the long running medical show, it scored a 1.9 for the night, a tenth higher than last week.
- CBS predictably won the night with a pair of NCAA men’s tournament Sweet 16 games, scoring an average of 2.4 for the night and capturing 8.05 million viewers, up from a 2.0 and 6.62 million viewers for the 2017 Sweet Sixteen rounds, a second straight year of growth for the tournament.
- NBC split the difference on its comedies last night, with SUPERSTORE gaining a tenth (1.1) and AP BIO dropping a tenth (0.7), while back to back new episodes of CHICAGO FIRE each earned 1.2s, with the show grabbing the largest audiences for the 9pm and 10pm hours.
- On Fox, GOTHAM rose a tenth to earn a 0.7 for the night, while SHOWTIME AT THE APOLLO earned another 0.6.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, March 20, 2018
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,888||1.0|
|FIXER UPPER||HOME||9:00 PM||3,447||0.7|
|NBA BASKETBALL||TNT||10:37 PM||1,604||0.7|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES BEV HILLS||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,779||0.6|
|NBA BASKETBALL||TNT||8:13 PM||1,515||0.6|
|FORGED IN FIRE||HISTORY||9:00 PM||1,532||0.5|
|CHALLENGE: VENDETTAS||MTV||9:00 PM||752||0.5|
|CURSE OF CIVIL WAR GOLD||HISTORY||10:03 PM||1,709||0.5|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||2,012||0.4|
|MARRIED AT FIRST SIGHT||LIFETIME||9:00 PM||1,042||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,168||0.4|
|DETOUR, THE||TBS||10:30 PM||1,008||0.4|
|INSIDE THE NBA||TNT||1:03 AM||705||0.4|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,831||0.4|
|AMERICAS TOP MODEL||VH1||8:00 PM||789||0.4|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,461||0.3|
|INK MASTER||PARAMOUNT||10:00 PM||724||0.3|
|WEB OF LIES||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,129||0.3|
|FORBIDDEN: DYING FOR LOVE||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,236||0.3|
|NBA PRE-GAME SHOW||TNT||8:00 PM||856||0.3|
|MY BIG FAT FABULOUS LIFE||TLC||8:00 PM||1,105||0.3|
|INGRAHAM ANGLE, THE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||2,725||0.3|
- Once again, USA’s WWE SMACKDOWN took the top spot in cable ratings on Tuesday, this time around improving on its rating by two tenths, rising to 1.0 among adults 18-49 and 2.89 million viewers overall.
- FIXER UPPER on HOME and coverage of NBA basketball on TNT were neck and neck for the two and three spots, each earning a 0.7.
- Further down the list, but still in the top ten, both History’s THE CURSE OF CIVIL WAR GOLD (0.5) and USA’s UNSOLVED (0.5) both ticked up a tenth from the previous week.
- On cable news, the story is still the same: Maddow leads in rating while Hannity’s edge in audience is beginning to widen once again. On Tuesday he picked up roughly 300K more viewers during the same hour as Maddow.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Wednesday, March 21, 2018
|NBA REGULAR SEASON L||ESPN||7:00 PM||1,850||0.7|
|BLACK INK CREW||VH1||9:00 PM||1,407||0.7|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON L||ESPN||9:36 PM||1,547||0.7|
|STREET OUTLAWS: NO PREP||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,325||0.5|
|SPORTSCENTER 12AM L||ESPN||11:52 PM||935||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,102||0.4|
|PROPERTY BROTHERS||HOME||9:00 PM||1,773||0.4|
|MY 600-LB LIFE||TLC||8:00 PM||1,451||0.4|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,251||0.4|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,548||0.4|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,589||0.4|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||3,076||0.3|
|FULL FRONTAL W/SAM BEE||TBS||10:30 PM||1,021||0.3|
|ACS: VERSACE||FX||10:00 PM||1,197||0.3|
|TWIN TURBOS||DISCOVERY||10:01 PM||772||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER 1AM L||ESPN||1:00 AM||655||0.3|
|BEAUTY BAR||VH1||10:00 PM||656||0.3|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||1,453||0.3|
|LAST WORD W/L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,513||0.3|
|MAGICIANS, THE||SYFY||9:00 PM||766||0.3|
|HOMICIDE CITY||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,249||0.3|
|INGRAHAM ANGLE, THE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||2,433||0.3|
|GUYS GROCERY GAMES||FOOD||9:00 PM||882||0.3|
|ERIN BURNETT OUTFRONT||CNN||7:00 PM||1,176||0.3|
- ESPN captured the top spot of Wednesday, broadcasting the Toronto vs. Cleveland NBA game, which rated a 0.7 among adults 18-49 and drew in 1.85 million viewers. A later game between Washington and San Antonio rounded out the top 3, also with a 0.7.
- Sandwiched between NBA action was VH1’s popular BLACK INK CREW, which scored (you guessed it), a 0.7 among 18-49s.
- In scripted cable, the finale of FX’s AMERICAN CRIME STORY: VERSACE managed a 0.3, even with last week and steady with its average all season, while the premiere of KRYPTON for Syfy scored a hit, landing a fairly high 0.4 in its debut and grabbing 1.32 million viewers. The premiere is on par with many of the network’s recent bows, including HAPPY! And THE MAGICIANS.
- In cable news, Maddow and Hannity shared 0.4 ratings in 18-49, with Hannity pulling ahead in audience with approximately 150K more viewers in the 9pm hour, while Anderson Cooper on CNN continues to trail Tucker Carlson at 8pm, both in rating (hundredths of difference in their 0.3s) and dragging behind in viewers (3.08 million for Carlson and 1.45 for Cooper).
- Netflix and the New York Times have partnered on co-producing a docuseries based on the long running medical column DIAGNOSIS, which follows patients with mysterious illnesses and track their journeys to find a diagnosis and, potentially, a cure. The 8×60 series will be curated by Yale associate professor of Medicine Dr. Lisa Sanders (who currently writes the column), and will combine global crowdsourcing, social media platforms, and expert advice from the medical establishment in pursuit of treatment for each patient. Scott Rudin Productions and Lightbox are producing, and no launch date has been set by Netflix.
- As royal wedding arrangements move full steam ahead, Fox has ordered a documentary about Meghan Markle, the first American to marry into British royalty since Wallis Simpson, and her relationship with Prince Harry. Due to air on 11 May, the 2-hour special is being billed as the “inside story” about the bride-to-be from those that know her. AN AMERICAN PRINCESS is produced by Spun Gold and Znak & Co.
- And in more news of publishers joining forces with production, Time Inc. has partnered with Blumhouse TV for two documentaries about the plague of gun violence in America:
- THE WALKOUT | 1xTBD | in production
An immersive look at student activism that has emerged following the February 14th massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. The documentary is told from the point of view of students, combining the work of professionals and student filmmakers who have been documenting this burgeoning moment.
- ENOUGH | 1xTBD | pre-production | tentative release: 20.4.2019
An even deeper dive into the last twenty years of mass shootings in America, looking at the complicated history of gun control legislation, ongoing trauma of survivors and victims’ families, and the work being done to prevent further tragedy.