RISE remains strong in week 2; FOR THE PEOPLE takes an early downward turn; Fox announces premiere date of new Gordon Ramsay series; NBC wrests exclusive rights to Indy 500 from ABC
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.5/6||0.9/3||0.7/3||0.6/2||0.4/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||7.71||3.64||7.0||2.19||1.27|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, March 21, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Voice (NBC)||2.1/9||10.75|
|The Middle (ABC)||1.3/5||5.79|
|NCIS (CBS) – R||0.8/3||7.98|
|Lethal Weapon (FOX) – R||0.5/2||2.27|
|The Flash (The CW) – R||0.3/1||1.0|
|8:30 p.m||Fresh Off the Boat (ABC)||1.0/4||3.64|
|9 p.m.||Rise (NBC)||1.1/4||5.53|
|NCIS (CBS) – R||0.8/3||7.6|
|LA to Vegas (FOX)||0.6/2||2.18|
|Black Lightning (The CW)||0.5/2||1.54|
|9:30 p.m.||Modern Family (ABC) – R||0.8/3||3.06|
|The Mick (FOX)||0.7/3||2.05|
|10 p.m.||Chicago Med (NBC)||1.2/5||6.86|
|Bull (CBS) – R||0.6/2||5.41|
|For the People (ABC)||0.6/2||2.73|
- NBC won the night overall on Tuesday, although all of its shows were slightly down. THE VOICE posted a 2.1 among adults 18-49 down a tenth and CHICAGO MED returned .2 down (1.2) after a couple of weeks off air. RISE (1.1), although down two tenths in its second week, is going fairly strong, considering the smaller lead-in audience it had from THE VOICE, as opposed to last week, when it premiered after the finale of THIS IS US.
- ABC’s comedies rebounded again after a week of low numbers. THE MIDDLE (1.3) and BLACKISH (1.1) both rose by two tenths, while FRESH OFF THE BOAT (1.0) ticked up a tenth. Shondaland’s latest (and completely toothless) soap entry FOR THE PEOPLE is already struggling; it fell by two tenths to score a 0.6 among adults 18-49, much lower than other Shonda-shows.
- Fox split the difference with its comedies last night, with LA TO VEGAS (0.6) off a tenth, while THE MICK (0.7) picked up a tenth from last week.
- On CW, BLACK LIGHTNING (0.5) was even with its last episode.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Monday, March 19, 2018
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||9:00 PM||3,472||1.2|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||8:00 PM||3,434||1.1|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||10:00 PM||3,076||1.1|
|LOVE & HIP HOP ATLANTA||VH1||8:00 PM||2,209||1.1|
|LOVE & HIP HOP MIAMI||VH1||9:00 PM||1,960||1|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON L||ESPN||9:41 PM||1,856||0.7|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON L||ESPN||7:00 PM||1,539||0.6|
|TEEN MOM||MTV||9:00 PM||1,097||0.6|
|VANDERPUMP RULES||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,498||0.6|
|AMERICAN DAD||TBS||10:00 PM||933||0.5|
|SPORTSCENTER 12AM L||ESPN||11:59 PM||1,041||0.5|
|FAST N LOUD||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,391||0.5|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,171||0.4|
|ALIENIST, THE||TNT||9:00 PM||1,708||0.4|
|SHIFTING GEARS||DISCOVERY||10:01 PM||1,091||0.4|
|SPRING BAKING CHAMPION||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,321||0.4|
|TEEN MOM: YOUNG AND PREGNANT||MTV||10:01 PM||602||0.3|
|COLD HEARTED||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,235||0.3|
|COUNTING ON||TLC||10:07 PM||1,342||0.3|
|COUNTING ON||TLC||9:00 PM||1,246||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,110||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER 1AM||ESPN||1:00 AM||648||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,347||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER EARLY||ESPN||6:00 PM||610||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,406||0.3|
- It was a fairly typical Monday on cable, with WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW taking its usual top three slots for the night, and peaking at 1.2, same as last week.
- LOVE AND HIP HOP: MIAMI and LOVE AND HIP HOP: ATLANTA rounded out the top five and were both up; Miami rose two tenths to a 1.0 and Atlanta gained three tenths to score 1.1 among adults 18-49.
- On the scripted side, TNT’s popular costume drama THE ALIENIST maintained its 0.4 rating, leading up to the season one finale next week.
- In cable news, ratings and audience continue to be neck and neck for Maddow and Hannity – Maddow led both 18-49 (0.4) and 25-54 (0.59) once again, with Hannity trailing slightly (18-49 0.3), 25-54 0.52), and MSNBC once again picked up the audience edge for the hour, grabbing 61,000 more viewers to their channel. Anderson Cooper on CNN managed to pull ahead of Tucker Carlson at 8pm in the 18-49 demo (0.26 v 0.2), but still falls behind in the news demo 25-54 (0.35 Cooper/0.42 Carlson) and lags even farther with audience (2.76 million for Carlson and 1.19 million for Cooper).
- Fox has announced the premiere date for its newest Gordon Ramsay series. 24 HOURS TO HELL AND BACK will premiere on Wednesday, 13 June after MASTER CHEF. Also set on the summer schedule:
- 29 May: BEAT SHAZAM, LOVE CONNECTION
- 30 May: MASTERCHEF
- 4 June: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE
- NBC has managed to snatch away the Indianapolis 500 in a new multi-year media rights deal beginning in 2019. The famous Formula 1 race has been broadcast on ABC for the past 53 years, but as the 2019 race year commences, NBC Sports will present all IndyCar races, including qualifiers, practices, and Indy Lights races across all platforms.