HTGAWM finale up week-to-week, down year-over-year; MTV releases first JERSEY SHORE FAMILY VACATION trailer and ramped up programming
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.7/7||1.3/5||0.8/3||0.6/2||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||5.57||5.38||3.67||2.54||0.57|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Thursday, March 15, 2018
|8 p.m.||NCAA Tournament (CBS) (8-9:30 p.m.)||2.0/8||6.36|
|Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)||1.8/7||7.25|
|Tough Mudder: Tougher Together (The CW) – S||0.2/1||0.6|
|8:30 p.m.||AP Bio (NBC)||0.8/3||3.03|
|9 p.m.||Will & Grace (NBC)||1.2/5||4.66|
|Showtime at the Apollo (FOX)||0.6/2||2.58|
|Arrow (The CW) – R||0.2/1||0.55|
|9:30 p.m.||NCAA Tournament (CBS) (9:30-11 p.m.)||1.4/5||4.79|
|10 p.m.||How to Get Away with Murder (ABC) – F||1.0/4||4.04|
|Chicago Fire (NBC) – R||0.6/2||3.73|
- HTGAWM wrapped up season 4 last night with a slight boost over last week’s numbers. The finale earned a 1.0 in adults 18-49, up a tenth from last week’s sown, but off .4 from the Season 3 finale. As for the rest of the Shonda lineup, GREY’S ANATOMY also improved a tenth to earn a 1.8, while SCANDAL held steady with last week, earning a 1.1.
- CBS earned the highest rating of the night with NCAA tournament action all night. The early primetime game earned a 2.0 with 6.36 million watching (only Grey’s had a larger audience all night), while the later game earned a 1.4 among adults 18-49.
- NBC’s Thursday comedies had very little change week-to-week. AP BIO (0.8) stayed even, while SUPERSTORE (1.0) dropped a tenth and WILL & GRACE (1.2) picked up a tenth.
- Fox’s night was also quiet; a new episode of GOTHAM was off a tenth, to earn a 0.6, with SHOWTIME AT THE APOLLO posted yet another 0.6.
- CW aired its TOUGH MUDDER: TOUGHER TOGETHER special in Supernatural’s regular tme slot, but wasn’t enough to help boost the audience much. The show earned a 0.2 among adults 18-49, and a scant 600,000 watching.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Wednesday, March 14, 2018
|TRU NCAA BSK 1ST||TRUTV||9:02 PM||2,159||0.7|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON||ESPN||11:12 PM||1,861||0.7|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON||ESPN||8:00 PM||1,675||0.6|
|BLACK INK CREW||VH1||9:00 PM||1,124||0.6|
|STREET OUTLAWS: NO PREP||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,458||0.5|
|STREET OUTLAWS: NPK SPC||DISCOVERY||8:00 PM||1,299||0.5|
|TRU NCAA BSK 1ST||TRUTV||8:46 PM||1,311||0.5|
|SPORTSCENTER 12AM||ESPN||12:58 AM||1,020||0.4|
|MY 600-LB LIFE: N/A||TLC||8:00 PM||1,328||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,151||0.4|
|FULL FRONTAL W/SAM BEE||TBS||10:30 PM||1,121||0.4|
|CONCACAF LC – L||UNIVISION||10:00 PM||737||0.4|
|HOMICIDE CITY||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,332||0.3|
|LITTLE WOMEN ATL||LIFETIME||9:00 PM||957||0.3|
|TWIN TURBOS||DISCOVERY||10:01 PM||837||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,652||0.3|
|GUYS GROCERY GAMES||FOOD||9:00 PM||923||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,268||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER MORNING||ESPN||2:00 AM||697||0.3|
|PROPERTY BROTHERS||HOME||9:00 PM||1,658||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,550||0.3|
|ACS: VERSACE||FX||10:00 PM||998||0.3|
|TRU NCAA BSK 1ST||TRUTV||11:21 PM||755||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||821||0.3|
|MY 600-LB LIFE: SKIN TIGHT||TLC||10:05 PM||865||0.3|
- It was mostly sports on cable Wednesday night, with TruTV once again taking the top spot with coverage of the NCAA Tournament. The live broadcast of the matchup between Syracuse and Arizona State earned a 0.7 rating in adults 18-49 and grabbed 2.16 million viewers. Following closely behind was ESPN’s coverage of the Wizards vs. Celtics NBA game, which scored a 0.6 with 1.68 million people watching.
- Leading up to its finale next week, AMERICAN CRIME STORY: VERSACE held on to its 0.3 rating, while newly renewed supernatural series THE MAGICIANS finished just outside the top 25 with another steady 0.3.
- In cable news, Maddow led Hannity by a tenth for the hour (0.4 to 0.3), while Hannity managed to regain an audience edge by about 110K more viewers, while further downward on the list, well outside the top 25, Carlson and Cooper remain close together in ratings in 18-49, but Carlson’s audience was more than double Cooper’s once again (2.84 million vs. 1.25 million).
- MTV released its first trailer for JERSEY SHORE FAMILY VACATION, while unveiling a big ramp-up to the debut 5 April. Four ROAD TO VACATION specials will air over the next few weeks, looking over some of the most “iconic” moments Jersey Shore fans are sure to remember. Shore is part of the network’s expanded unscripted programming slate, a strategy devised by the channel’s president Chris McCarthy and has produced a recent ratings resurgence for the belabored company. MTV has posted nine consecutive months of year-over-year growth in its Live + Same Day ratings adults 18-49, with original series premieres up 34% over 2017.