LIFE SENTENCE on CW premieres to ho-hum results; CMT brings back WIFE SWAP; JuVee & 44 Blue plan docu-series on Black Dandies
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.3/5||1.2/5||1.2/5||1.1/4||0.4/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||4.71||6.46||6.13||4.4||1.03|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, March 7, 2018
|8 p.m.||Survivor (CBS)||1.7/7||8.2|
|The Goldbergs (ABC)||1.4/6||5.49|
|The Blacklist (NBC)||1.0/4||5.79|
|The X-Files (FOX)||0.9/4||3.45|
|Riverdale (The CW)||0.4/2||1.31|
|8:30 p.m.||Speechless (ABC)||1.2/5||4.38|
|9 p.m.||9-1-1 (FOX)||1.6/6||5.97|
|Modern Family (ABC)||1.4/6||5.2|
|Law & Order: SVU (NBC)||1.2/5||5.76|
|SEAL Team (CBS)||0.9/3||6.14|
|Life Sentence (The CW) – P||0.3/1||0.76|
|9:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC)||1.1/4||4.21|
|10 p.m.||Chicago PD (NBC)||1.3/5||6.83|
|Criminal Minds (CBS)||0.9/3||5.04|
|Designated Survivor (ABC)||0.6/2||3.57|
- Leading off with the CW today, although news isn’t great for its newest entry into the market. LIFE SENTENCE starring Lucy Hale premiered to a soft (even for CW) 0.3 and just over 750K viewers, only a tenth of a point higher than DYNASTY’s average, which aired previously in the slot. On another down note, RIVERDALE scored a series-low 0.4 for the network.
- The night was much better for other broadcasters, with FOX leading the pack. Bothe XFILES (0.9) and 911 (1.6) each rose a tenth from last week.
- ABC’s comedies rebounded last night after a down week last Wednesday. All comedies were up, with THE GOLDBERGS (1.4), MODERN FAMILY (1.4), and AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE (1.1) each rising a tenth, while SPEECHLESS (1.2) came up .2. DESIGNATED SURVIVOR was even with last week, earning a 0.6.
- NBC also had an up night with all three of its dramas, BLACKLIST (1.0), LAW & ORDER: SVU (1.2), and CHICAGO PD (1.3) each coming up a tenth from last week. CBS split the difference the night: SURVIVOR was flat with a 1.7, while SEAL TEAM (0.9) rose a tenth and CRIMINAL MINDS (0.9) dropped a tenth from its last episode.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, March 6, 2018
|NBA BASKETBALL||TNT||8:14 PM||1,887||0.8|
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,590||0.8|
|CURSE OF OAK ISLAND||HISTORY||9:00 PM||2,894||0.7|
|SP FIXER UPPER||HOME||9:00 PM||2,484||0.6|
|CURSE OF CIVIL WAR GOLD||HISTORY||10:00 PM||2,310||0.5|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF BEV HILLS||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,468||0.5|
|NBA BASKETBALL||TNT||10:39 PM||1,162||0.5|
|CHALLENGE: VENDETTAS||MTV||9:00 PM||771||0.5|
|HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS||OWN||9:00 PM||2,025||0.5|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,126||0.4|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,694||0.4|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,637||0.4|
|INK MASTER||PARAMOUNT||10:00 PM||744||0.4|
|DETOUR, THE||TBS||10:30 PM||971||0.4|
|NBA PRE-GAME SHOW||TNT||8:00 PM||963||0.3|
|AMERICAS TOP MODEL||VH1||8:00 PM||677||0.3|
|MY BIG FAT FABULOUS LIFE||TLC||8:00 PM||947||0.3|
|GOLDEN STATE KILLER||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,173||0.3|
|CHALLENGE: VENDETTAS AFTERSHOW||MTV||10:01 PM||448||0.3|
|LAST WORD W/L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,440||0.3|
|DRUNK HISTORY||COMEDY||10:00 PM||521||0.3|
|MOONSHINERS SPECIAL||DISCOVERY||10:08 PM||890||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||765||0.3|
- TNT once again rose to the top of the cable news ratings with its broadcast of the Thunder vs Rockets NBA game, scoring a 0.8 and bringing in 1.89 million eyeballs, with WWE SMACKDOWN on USA right behind, also with a 0.8 and 2.59 million viewers. History’s THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND rounded out the top three, holding steady with a 0.7.
- History also had a big win with the premiere of CURSE OF THE CIVIL WAR GOLD; its 0.5 rating among 18-49s and 2.31 million viewers, good enough for the number 5 spot. The show retained most of the lead-in audience from CURSE OF OAK ISLAND, as well as being hosted by one its titular stars, Marty Lagina.
- Following its premiere, rap/crime drama THE MURDERS OF TUPAC AND THE NOTORIOUS BIG took a hit in week two, falling three tenths to 0.4 from its 0.7 first week.
- And in daily cable wars news, HANNITY falls further out of the top 25, off approximately two tenths from MADDOW in both the 18-49 and 25-54 demos (Maddow: 0.4/0.59 v Hannity (0.23/0.33) and ~500,000 less viewers for the hour (Maddow: 3.126 million v Hannity 2.639 million).
- In reboot meets cultural clash news, CMT is reviving popular reality series WIFE SWAP. The new iteration of the series will follow the same format as before, where two very different families will swap spouses, highlighting hot-button issues such as politics, racism, classism, and gender identity. In the format of the show, the spouses will adhere to their host family’s rules and lifestyle for a period, before being given the opportunity to establish their own regulations. At the end, the two families will meet for the first time and discuss what they learned from the swap and whether any of the “new” rules will remain. Casting is ongoing with production to begin soon and no premiere date is set. With original producers Zodiak USA defunct, the show will be produced by Banijay Studios NA.
- Viola Davis & Julius Tennon’s company JuVee Productions has teamed up with 44 Blue to produce a new docuseries titled DANDY LIONS, taking a deep look at the street style movement popular in the Black community. Based on the book Dandy Lion: The Black Dandy and Street Style by Shantrelle P. Lewis, the series will not only chart the history of the Black Dandy fashion and style movement and its increased attention in recent years, but highlight its less well-known political roots and set against the backdrop of modern hip-hop culture and socially relevant conversations. For an example of typical Dandy style, check out today’s awesome cover photo.
- A fun 30-second watch for today: Hulu has released its first teaser trailer for the second season of its Emmy and Golden Globe winning show THE HANDMAID’S TALE. Check it out HERE