SCANDAL and HTGAWM crossover pays off for ABC; Fox announces new true crime special OJ SIMPSON: THE LOST CONFESSION?; Parrot Analytics publishes 9th annual Global Television Demand Report
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.5/6||1.5/6||1.0/4||0.7/3||0.5/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||8.71||5.62||4.07||2.54||1.4|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Thursday, March 1, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Big Bang Theory (CBS)||2.5/11||13.64|
|Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)||2.0/8||7.53|
|Supernatural (The CW)||0.6/2||1.63|
|8:30 p.m.||Young Sheldon (CBS)||2.1/8||12.43|
|AP Bio (NBC)||0.8/3||2.72|
|9 p.m.||Mom (CBS)||1.5/6||9.01|
|Will & Grace (NBC)||1.1/4||4.1|
|Showtime at the Apollo (FOX) – P||0.6/2||2.48|
|Arrow (The CW)||0.4/2||1.18|
|9:30 p.m.||Life in Pieces (CBS)||1.1/4||6.54|
|AP Bio (NBC)||0.7/3||2.81|
|10 p.m.||Chicago Fire (NBC)||1.1/5||5.62|
|How to Get Away with Murder (ABC)||1.1/5||4.2|
- The highly publicized Shondaland crossover of SCANDAL and HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER resulted in a predictable boost for ABC on Thursday night. Scandal earned a 1.3 for the night, up two tenths from its last outing, while HTGAWM rose up .3 to 1.1 in adults 18-49. GREY’S ANATOMY chimed in earlier in the evening with a 2.0, even with its last new episode.
- CBS came in second place in broadcast, but had a down night across the board, except for MOM, which was even with its last episode rating of 1.5. BIG BANG THEORY (2.5), although the demo winner for the half-hour was still down four tenths from its last episode, while YOUNG SHELDON (2.1) was off .2. Both LIFE IN PIECES (1.1) and SWAT (0.9) shed a tenth episode-to-episode.
- GOTHAM (0.8) returned to Fox steady with its last fall episode. SHOWTIME AT THE APOLLO earned a 0.6 in adults 18-49 for its premiere episode. Showtime, much like its original predecessor of the same name features upcoming singers and comics from a primarily diverse background – you can see the premiere HERE.
- NBC comedies were also down, with SUPERSTORE (1.0) and WILL & GRACE (1.1) each dropping a tenth from their pre-Olympic numbers. Two back to back episodes of AP BIO drew a 0.8 and 0.7, in line with the show’s seasonal average, but half of where it premiered.
- On CW, both SUPERNATURAL and ARROW turned in their usual steady ratings of a 0.6 and 0.4, respectively.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Wednesday, February 28, 2018
|NBA REGULAR SEASON L||ESPN||8:01 PM||2,017||0.7|
|BLACK INK CREW||VH1||9:00 PM||1,220||0.6|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON L||ESPN||10:35 PM||1,350||0.6|
|STREET OUTLAWS||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,301||0.5|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,283||0.4|
|MY 600-LB LIFE||TLC||8:00 PM||1,407||0.4|
|685 LB TEEN, THE||TLC||10:05 PM||1,264||0.4|
|TWIN TURBOS||DISCOVERY||10:03 PM||1,029||0.4|
|ACS: VERSACE||FX||10:00 PM||1,095||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER 1AM||ESPN||12:56 AM||757||0.3|
|BEAUTY BAR||VH1||10:00 PM||608||0.3|
|IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG||OWN||10:00 PM||1,525||0.3|
|PROPERTY BROTHERS||HOME||9:00 PM||1,571||0.3|
|SEE NO EVIL||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,304||0.3|
|GUYS GROCERY GAMES||FOOD||9:00 PM||848||0.3|
|HOMICIDE CITY||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,283||0.3|
|SP HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,407||0.3|
|LAST WORD W/L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,483||0.3|
|NBA PRE-GAME L||ESPN||7:00 PM||648||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,967||0.3|
|CATFISH: THE TV SHOW||MTV||10:00 PM||537||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,378||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||695||0.3|
|CONCACAF LC – L: AMERICA||UNIVISION||10:03 PM||537||0.3|
- Now that the Olympics have concluded, ESPN has reclaimed its placed on top of the cable ratings with NBA coverage. Taking the top spot was the game between the Golden State Warriors and Washington Wizards, which scored a 0.7 in adults 18-49, while a later game between Houston and the LA Clippers earned a 0.6, good enough for number 3.
- In non-sports, VH1’s BLACK INK CREW predictably slid into second, also earning a 0.6 and had 1.22 million watching.
- On FX, AMERICAN CRIME STORY: VERSACE rebounded a bit after weeks of down nights. Wednesday’s episode earned a 0.3, a tenth higher than its last episode two weeks ago.
- The ratings gap between Maddow and Hannity widens by the smallest of margins. Maddow rounded out the top five on Wednesday, earning a 0.39 and grabbing 3.28 million viewers versus Hannity’s 26th place showing, with a 0.25 and 2.86 million watching. In the 25-54 news demo, the ratings margin is slightly wider, with Maddow earning a 0.63 to Hannity’s 0.47.
- 12 years after being taped, Fox is finally airing the two-hour special OJ SIMPSON: THE LOST CONFESSION? ON Sunday, March 11th. Taped in 2006 to promote his then upcoming book If I Did It, the controversial show was originally pulled after public outcry against it. Now repackaged into a special hosted by journalist Soledad O’Brien, the show will feature taped interviews from the 2006 special, in which Simpson tells a shockingly detailed (and disturbing) “hypothetical” account of what may have happened the night his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman were murdered. O’Brien will also be joined by a panel of analysts who will discuss and contextualize points made in the video. The new special is executive produced by Terence Wrong. See a preview HERE.
- Lionsgate and Facebook Watch have partnered on a new unscripted prank show executive produced by Kim Kardashian West, among others. Currently titled YOU KIDDIN’ ME, the 10-episode series will feature comedic pranks where kids are in charge and celebrities must do everything their own children say. According to Lionsgate, the new show will “peek into the family relationships of Hollywood stars as children prank their famous parents and an unsuspecting public.” No release date is set.
- Measurement firm Parrot Analytics has posted their ninth annual Global Television Demand Report. While some of the insights are not surprising (investment is soaring, with $13B USD spent in 2017, more than double where it was in 2013, and number of digital series skyrocketing), there is a wealth of data in the 65-page report I’ve only begun digging into. You can download a copy of the full report HERE.