Olympics rebounds slightly as Russia takes gold in Ladies’ Figure Skating; CNN Town Hall on Parkland, FL school shooting draws ratings win for network; Netflix orders first home makeover series
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||3.4/13||1.0/4||0.7/3||0.4/2||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||14.89||5.68||3.01||1.7||0.84|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Thursday, February 22, 2018
|8 p.m.||Winter Olympics (NBC) (8-11 p.m.)||3.4/13||14.89|
|The Big Bang Theory (CBS) – R||1.3/5||7.9|
|The Bachelor Winter Games (ABC) (8-10 p.m.) – F||0.7/3||3.18|
|Gotham (FOX) – R||0.4/2||1.42|
|Supernatural (The CW) – R||0.3/1||0.97|
|8:30 p.m.||Young Sheldon (CBS) – R||1.2/5||7.01|
|9 p.m.||The Big Bang Theory (CBS) – R||1.1/4||6.32|
|9-1-1 (FOX) – R||0.5/2||1.98|
|Arrow (The CW) – R||0.2/1||0.71|
|9:30 p.m.||Mom (CBS) – R||0.9/3||4.92|
|10 p.m.||SWAT (CBS) – R||0.7/3||3.97|
|The Bachelor Winter Games Reunion (ABC) – S||0.6/2||2.67|
- Olympic coverage on NBC rebounded slightly last night on the strength of the Ladies Figuring Skating final, drawing 14.89 million viewers and a 3.4 rating in adults 18-49, up a tenth from yesterday, but still down half a point from a week ago. Between NBC and NBCSN, coverage earned a combined 12.0 household rating.
- Only ABC aired any other original programming; the finale of BACHELOR WINTER GAMES scored a 0.7, even with last week, and a reunion special at 10pm was slightly lower, posting a 0.6.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, February 20, 2018
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,613||0.8|
|THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND||HISTORY||9:00 PM||2,993||0.7|
|WINTER OLYMPICS PRIME||NBCSN||8:00 PM||2,555||0.6|
|WINTER OLYMPICS LATE NIGHT||NBCSN||11:00 PM||2,071||0.6|
|THE HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS||OWN||9:00 PM||2,244||0.6|
|THE CHALLENGE: VENDETTAS||MTV||9:00 PM||883||0.5|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF BEVERLY HILLS||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,553||0.5|
|FIXER UPPER||HGTV||9:00 PM||2,514||0.5|
|COLLEGE BASKETBALL||ESPN||9:10 PM||1,190||0.4|
|THE DETOUR||TBS||10:30 PM||1,032||0.4|
|HUNTING HITLER||HISTORY||10:03 PM||1,684||0.4|
|AMERICA’S NEXT TOP MODEL||VH1||8:00 PM||860||0.4|
|WINTER OLYMPICS||CNBC||10:00 PM||956||0.4|
|MARRIED AT FIRST SIGHT||LIFETIME||9:00 PM||901||0.4|
|INK MASTER||PARAMOUNT||10:00 PM||736||0.4|
|RESTORED BY THE FORDS||HGTV||10:00 PM||1,534||0.3|
|THE RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,685||0.3|
|DEATH ROW CHRONICLES||BET||10:00 PM||699||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HGTV||10:30 PM||1,427||0.3|
|MY BIG FAT FABULOUS LIFE||TLC||8:00 PM||1,156||0.3|
|DEATH ROW CHRONICLES||BET||11:00 PM||619||0.3|
|WINTER OLYMPICS||NBCSN||5:00 PM||1,109||0.3|
|THE CHALLENGE: VENDETTAS AFTER SHOW||MTV||10:02 PM||460||0.3|
|WHO KILLED JANE DOE||ID||9:00 PM||1,138||0.3|
- As usual, it was WWE SMACKDOWN on top of the cable list for Tuesday, earning a 0.8 for the night, even with last week. CURSE OF OAK ISLAND on History followed up in the number two spot with a 0.7 in adults 18-49, up from 0.6 last week and growing in audience (2.99 million this week vs 2.34 million last week). Rounding out the top 3 was Olympic prime time coverage, also with a 0.6.
- Rachel Maddow on MSNBC earned a 0.3 rating, good enough to land in the top twenty, while Hannity fell further out of the top 25, picking up a 0.24 rating in 18-49s, although the audience gap is decreasing again (Maddow picked up roughly 75,000 more viewers during the hour than Hannity).
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Wednesday, February 21, 2018
|W OLY LATE NIGHT: N/A||NBC SPORTS||11:00 PM||2,887||1.0|
|CNN TOWN HALL: STAND UP||CNN||9:00 PM||2,909||0.7|
|W OLY PRIME: N/A||NBC SPORTS||8:00 PM||2,139||0.6|
|BLACK INK CREW||VH1||9:00 PM||1,104||0.6|
|MY 600-LB LIFE: N/A||TLC||8:00 PM||1,366||0.4|
|CNN TONIGHT||CNN||11:00 PM||1,581||0.4|
|COLLEGE BKBL REG SSN L||ESPN||9:03 PM||1,148||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,740||0.4|
|CATFISH: THE TV SHOW||MTV||10:00 PM||649||0.3|
|HOMICIDE CITY||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,348||0.3|
|SEE NO EVIL||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,373||0.3|
|PROPERTY BROTHERS||HOME||9:00 PM||1,602||0.3|
|COLLEGE BKBL REG SSN||ESPN||7:00 PM||1,147||0.3|
|GUYS GROCERY GAMES||FOOD||9:00 PM||804||0.3|
|STREET OUTLAWS: NPK SPC||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||956||0.3|
|LITTLE WOMEN ATL||LIFETIME||9:00 PM||803||0.3|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||1,369||0.3|
|IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG||OWN||10:00 PM||1,492||0.3|
|DR. PIMPLE POPPER||TLC||10:05 PM||850||0.3|
|ALL IN W/CHRIS HAYES||MSNBC||8:00 PM||2,061||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||2,730||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||2,741||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,409||0.3|
|STREET OUTLAWS SPC||DISCOVERY||10:01 PM||759||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,338||0.3|
- Unsurprisingly, the Olympics continued to lead the cable ratings on a quiet Wednesday night. NBCSN’s coverage took the top spot with a 1.0 in adults 18-49 and a 0.6 was good enough for the number 3 spot.
- In the number 2 position was CNN’s town hall, featuring student and teacher survivors of the Parkland, Florida mass shooting and families of those slain posing direct questions to both Florida Senator Marco Rubio and NRA representatives. The often explosive live town hall was the most watched of the night, with just over 2.9 million viewers and a 0.7 rating. CNN had several spots on the top 25 for the night, with CNN TONIGHT and ANDERSON COOPER earning 0.3 and 0.4, respectively.
- Elsewhere in the ongoing cable news wars, Rachel Maddow on MSNBC continues to lead in rating (0.4) and had a scant 10,000 more viewers in the 9pm hour than ultra-conservative Sean Hannity of Fox News (0.3 for the night/2.73 million viewers).
- The highest rated non-sports or news programming of the night was BLACK INK CREW on VH1, earning a 0.6 and 1.1 million viewers.
- Netflix has commissioned its first home makeover series, titled AMAZING ON THE INSIDE from British production company Barcroft Productions. The 12×30 series will uncover homes that look conventional on the outside, but hide extraordinary, unusual, and eye-popping interiors that reflects the homeowners’ passions, hobbies, and identity.
- Fusion (backed by Univision) has commissioned an 8-part docuseries that turns the limelight on the global food industry. Titled FOOD EXPOSED WITH NELUFAR HEDAYAT, the show will examine the backstories between some of the world’s favorite ingredients and the big business interests that drive the global food chain. The series will show host Hedayat traveling around the world to visit the source of these ingredients, while joined by celebrity activists such as Nicole Richie, Moby, and Jordana Brewster (all well known for their outspoken views on the global food industry). The series is currently in production.
- Telexist and Good Deed Entertainment, the duo-company behind the interactive film Dinner Party, are teaming on a new 10-episode VR noir-thriller series titled MEMORY PALACE. The series is designed to be part cinematic VR experience and part interactive, with production set to begin in April. Said Telexist co-founder Erik Donley said. “The opportunity to take this fascinating narrative and add interactivity is an exciting challenge that we’ve been working on for several years now. We are developing this project to be at the forefront of where interactive storytelling is heading.”