Olympics ratings begin to slump; STXDigital and Uproxx team to co-produce BRAWLER for Snapchat; Netflix cancels DISJOINTED after 1 season
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||4.0/16||1.0/4||0.6/2||0.6/2||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||17.12||4.43||2.7||2.46||0.73|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, February 14, 2018
|8 p.m.||Winter Olympics (NBC) (8-11 p.m.)||4.0/16||17.12|
|Big Brother: Celebrity Edition (CBS)||1.3/5||5.19|
|The Goldbergs (ABC) – R||0.6/3||3.22|
|The Resident (FOX) – R||0.5/2||2.33|
|Relationshps Just for Laughs (The CW) – S||0.2/1||0.79|
|8:30 p.m.||Speechless (ABC) – R||0.5/2||2.35|
|9 p.m.||The Amazing Race (CBS) (9-11 p.m.)||0.9/3||4.05|
|9-1-1 (FOX) – R||0.6/2||3.05|
|Modern Family (ABC) – R||0.6/2||2.54|
|The Top 14 Greatest Valentine’s Day Movies of All Time (The CW) – S||0.2/1||0.67|
|9:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC) – R||0.6/2||2.17|
|10 p.m.||Match Game (ABC)||0.5/2||2.24|
- Olympic viewing came down a bit on Wednesday, but still the clear winner for the night. In fast nationals, the coverage drew a 4.0 among adults 18-49 and 17.12 million watching.
- On CBS, BIG BROTHER: CELEBRITY EDITION was even with last week at 1.3, while AMAZING RACE faltered a bit, coming down .2 to 0.9 this week.
- On ABC, a new MATCH GAME earned a 0.5, down a tenth from last week.
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||3.9/16||0.8/3||0.7/3||0.4/2||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||16.03||5.53||3.26||1.49||0.73|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Thursday, February 15, 2018
|8 p.m.||Winter Olympics (NBC) (8-11 p.m.)||3.9/16||16.03|
|The Big Bang Theory (CBS) – R||1.1/5||7.32|
|The Bachelor Winter Games (ABC) (8-10 p.m.)||0.7/3||3.02|
|Gotham (FOX) – R||0.3/1||1.28|
|Supernatural (The CW) – R||0.3/1||0.85|
|8:30 p.m.||Young Sheldon (CBS) – R||1.0/4||7.04|
|9 p.m.||The Big Bang Theory (CBS) – R||1.0/4||6.08|
|9-1-1 (FOX) – R||0.4/2||1.71|
|Arrow (The CW) – R||0.2/1||0.61|
|9:30 p.m.||Mom (CBS) – R||0.8/3||4.91|
|10 p.m.||20/20 (ABC)||0.8/3||3.75|
|SWAT (CBS) – R||0.6/2||3.91|
- Olympic viewing dipped a bit for NBC on Thursday, bringing in a 3.9 rating and 16.03 million viewers (pending updates). This is still higher than the first day of competition, which earned a 3.7 and 16 million viewers.
- Only ABC aired any original programming on Thursday, airing a new episode of BACHELOR WINTER GAMES, which earned a 0.7, down a tenth from its Tuesday premiere.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, February 13, 2018
|NBA BASKETBALL||TNT||8:14 PM||2,752||1.2|
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,449||0.8|
|CURSE OF OAK ISLAND||HISTORY||9:00 PM||2,339||0.6|
|NBA PRE-GAME SHOW||TNT||8:00 PM||1,524||0.6|
|NBA BASKETBALL||TNT||10:41 PM||1,236||0.6|
|CHALLENGE: VENDETTAS||MTV||9:01 PM||834||0.5|
|HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS||OWN||9:00 PM||2,235||0.5|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF BEVERLY HILLS||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,492||0.5|
|W OLY ACCESS WKDY: N/A||NBC SPORTS||5:00 PM||1,754||0.5|
|W OLY PRIME||NBC SPORTS||8:00 PM||1,772||0.5|
|SP FIXER UPPER||HOME||9:00 PM||2,288||0.4|
|W OLY FRINGE WKDY||NBC SPORTS||3:00 PM||1,404||0.4|
|DETOUR, THE||TBS||10:30 PM||922||0.4|
|W OLY LATE NIGHT||NBC SPORTS||11:30 PM||909||0.4|
|TRUE CONVICTION||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,324||0.3|
|AMERICAS TOP MODEL||VH1||8:00 PM||788||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,478||0.3|
|HUNTING HITLER||HISTORY||10:12 PM||1,267||0.3|
|WHO KILLED JANE DOE||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,254||0.3|
|INK MASTER||PARAMOUNT||10:00 PM||675||0.3|
|TEEN MOM II||MTV||8:00 PM||554||0.3|
|MY BIG FAT FABULOUS LIFE||TLC||8:00 PM||1,067||0.3|
|WONDER WOMAN||HBO||8:00 PM||786||0.3|
- TNT took three of the top five slots in cable on Tuesday with coverage of the NBA game between the Oklahoma City Thunder and Cleveland Cavaliers. Broadcast of the game itself took the top spot, scoring a 1.2 in adults 18-49 and 2.75 million viewers, while the pre-game show and the later game each earned 0.6s.
- As usual, USA’a WWE SMACKDOWN was near the top, earning a 0.8 (same as last week), and History’s CURSE OF OAK ISLAND rounded out the top three with a 0.6.
- Once again, Rachel Maddow was alone on the top 25 for cable news programming, earning a 0.3 and continuing to maintain an audience around 2.5 million.
- On MTV, THE CHALLENGE: VENDETTAS continues to be a solid performer, once again earning a 0.5 for the channel.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Wednesday, February 14, 2018
|NBA REGULAR SEASON||ESPN||10:35 PM||1,693||0.7|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON||ESPN||8:01 PM||1,274||0.5|
|W OLY PRIME: N/A||NBC SPORTS||8:00 PM||1,878||0.5|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||3,332||0.5|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||1,811||0.5|
|SPECIAL RPT W/BRET BAIER||FOX NEWS||6:00 PM||3,361||0.5|
|SHEPARD SMITH REPORTING||FOX NEWS||5:00 PM||3,318||0.4|
|ERIN BURNETT OUTFRONT||CNN||7:00 PM||1,704||0|
|W OLY LATE NIGHT||NBC SPORTS||11:30 PM||1,249||0.4|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,211||0.4|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||9:00 PM||1,648||0.4|
|STORY, THE||FOX NEWS||7:00 PM||3,034||0.4|
|SPORTSCENTER 1AM||ESPN||1:06 AM||861||0.4|
|W OLY ACCESS WKDY: N/A||NBC SPORTS||5:00 PM||1,388||0.4|
|SITUATION ROOM||CNN||6:00 PM||1,654||0.4|
|CNN TONIGHT||CNN||10:00 PM||1,381||0.4|
|IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG||OWN||10:00 PM||1,459||0.3|
|SHEPARD SMITH REPORTING||FOX NEWS||4:00 PM||2,614||0.3|
|BLACK INK CREW SPECIALS||VH1||9:00 PM||673||0.3|
|MY 600-LB LIFE: N/A||TLC||8:00 PM||1,226||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,380||0.3|
|INGRAHAM ANGLE, THE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||2,587||0.3|
|HE LIED ABOUT EVERYTHING||INVEST||8:00 PM||1,323||0.3|
|CATFISH: THE TV SHOW||MTV||10:00 PM||526||0.3|
- It was a fairly down night on cable Wednesday (it was Valentine’s Day, after all). ESPN took the top two spots with NBA coverage; the game between Golden State and Portland came out on top, scoring a 0.7 among adults 18-49 and 1.69 million people watching. An earlier game between Boston and the LA Clippers followed closely behind with a 0.5. Olympic coverage rounded out the top three, also earning a 0.5.
- Unsurprisingly, cable news dominated the top 25 list, as yet another mass school shooting created round-the-clock coverage for Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC. In terms of ratings, it was at least close between the ultra conservative, fear mongering Fox News and more moderate CNN; however, Fox is still getting the edge by hundredths of a rating point. For audiences, it wasn’t even close: on average, hour-to-hour, Fox News viewership was double that of CNN or liberal leaning MSNBC.
- Elsewhere on cable, FX’s AMERICAN CRIME STORY: VERSACE continues to fall, not making the top 25 at all, slipping to a 0.2.
- STX Digital and millennial media company Uproxx will be co-producing a new show on fight culture for Snapchat. Titled BRAWLER, each episode will be a deep dive into one particular fighting style in different places around the world, such as a boxing coach teaching students in Los Angeles to a Silat Master showing off rapid-fire martial arts in Malaysia. The show is due to premiere on the app on March 16th, with new episodes becoming available every Friday thereafter.
- Breakout hit of summer 2017, supernatural drama MIDNIGHT, TEXAS has received a second season order from NBC. It held a relatively steady 0.8 rating in adults 18-49 throughout its summer run, and averaging just under 3 million viewers per episode.
- Netflix has canceled DISJOINTED, the multi-camera pot comedy from creator Chuck Lorre and starring Kathy Bates. Originally given a straight to series 20-episode order, the show was always a bit of a flop, drawing lackluster reviews for its pretty banal and unfunny characters. However, I’m sure Lorre will be fine – it’s the only comedy he’s created that only lasted one season.
- Unsurprisingly, Fox has renewed SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE? for a 15th Nigel Lythgoe, Mary Murphy, and Vanessa Hudgens will continue to judge the performances and Cat Deeley will return as host for the Emmy award winning competition series. Premiere date has not yet been announced, but it will be sometime in the summer.
- CBS dropped quite a bit of good business news today, as merger talk between CBS & Viacom continues to pick up steam. In today’s Q4 earnings report, the company touted an 11% rise in revenue, 8% gain in adjusted operating earnings, 33% growth in content licensing and distribution revenues, and a 20% leap in affiliate and subscription fee revenues. The only down note in the report was a 3% decrease in advertising revenue from the same period in 2016 (however, considering the record level of political advertising going at during that period, it’s hardly a surprise to see a decrease here). One more area where CBS is gaining? OTT subscriptions. Between Showtime and CBS: All Access, the company has captured 5 million subscribers so far, well ahead of its schedule to reach 8 million by 2020. The company will continue to add to its OTT portfolio this year, with the ad-supported CBS SPORTS HQ and celebrity-based offering, branded with syndicated staple ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT.
- One longform read for your weekend: check out Variety’s in-depth article on the growing trend (and conflicts of interest) as parent companies of talent agencies get into the production game.