AP BIO premieres soft for NBC; Wilshire Studios developing new competition series MVTEEN, and CBS/Viacom merger talks move incrementally forward
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.7/6||1.6/6||1.2/5||1.1/4||0.5/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||9.35||6.04||3.73||4.18||1.46|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Thursday, February 1, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Big Bang Theory (CBS)||2.8/11||14.46|
|Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)||2.3/9||8.85|
|The Four: Battle for Stardom (FOX) (8-10 p.m.)||1.2/5||3.73|
|Supernatural (The CW)||0.6/2||1.69|
|8:30 p.m.||Young Sheldon (CBS)||2.3/9||12.88|
|The Good Place (NBC) – F||1.1/4||3.17|
|9 p.m.||Mom (CBS)||1.6/6||9.24|
|Will & Grace (NBC)||1.2/5||4.07|
|Arrow (The CW)||0.4/2||1.24|
|9:30 p.m.||Life in Pieces (CBS)||1.2/5||7.08|
|AP Bio (NBC) – P||0.9/3||3.18|
|10 p.m.||SWAT (CBS)||1.0/4||6.21|
|Chicago Fire (NBC)||1.0/4||5.61|
|How to Get Away with Murder (ABC)||1.0/4||3.66|
- CBS narrowly won the night over ABC on broadcast Thursday, strengthened by its usual 1-2 punch of BIG BANG THEORY (2.8) and YOUNG SHELDOW (2.3), although both were down slightly from last week (-.1). MOM (1.6), LIFE IN PIECES (1.2), and SWAT (1.0) were all even with their last new episodes two weeks ago.
- Good news for ABC, however – SCANDAL tied its season high, rating 1.4 in adults 18-49 and up a tenth from last week. HOW TO GET AWAY FROM WITH (1.0) was flat for the week, while GREY’S ANATOMY dipped a tenth to 2.3. However, get ready for the premiere of Grey’s spinoff STATION 19, which released its first trailer last night (it’s typical Shonda fare, but this time with sexy firefighters! See it HERE). The spinoff series premieres March 22 with a two-hour episode before sliding into the Thursday 9pm slot, and shifting Scandal to 10pm after HTGAWM ends its current season.
- AP BIO, the new comedy starring Glenn Howerton (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and comedianPatton Oswalt debuted so softly I nearly forgot about it. Earning a 0.9 for the night, it did manage to improve on the numbers GOOD NEWS was pulling in the same spot. THE GOOD PLACE on NBC finished its second season strong, even with last week, while the rest of the network’s lineup fell. SUPERSTORE (1.1), WILL & GRACE (1.2), and CHICAGO FIRE (1.0) were all down a tenth from last week.
- FOX’s THE FOUR held steady for another week at 1.2 with only the finale ahead of it. However, with judge Charlie Walk off the show and with sexual harassment charges swirling, it’s a big question mark whether this number will hold. A strange blessing in disguise, perhaps? If the network decides to bring back the format, it’s an opportunity to overhaul the miserably uncharismatic judges panel they have currently.
- CW’s lineup of SUPERNATURAL (0.6) and ARROW (0.4) was steady for yet another week.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Wednesday, January 31, 2018
|BLACK INK CREW||VH1||9:00 PM||1,181||0.6|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON||ESPN||8:00 PM||1,524||0.6|
|NBA POST-GAME||ESPN||10:19 PM||1,337||0.6|
|STREET OUTLAWS SPC||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,372||0.5|
|MY 600-LB LIFE: N/A||TLC||8:00 PM||1,467||0.4|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,945||0.4|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON||ESPN||10:35 PM||968||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,212||0.4|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||3,786||0.4|
|FULL FRONTAL W/SAM BEE||TBS||10:30 PM||1,231||0.4|
|ACS: VERSACE||FX||10:00 PM||1,261||0.4|
|PROPERTY BROTHERS||HOME||9:00 PM||1,940||0.4|
|HOMICIDE HUNTER LT JOE||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,570||0.4|
|INGRAHAM ANGLE, THE||FOX NEWS||10:00 PM||3,477||0.4|
|SEE NO EVIL||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,373||0.3|
|LIBRARIANS, THE||TNT||8:00 PM||1,336||0.3|
|FX MOVIE PRIME: TERMINATOR||FX||7:30 PM||1,061||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,821||0.3|
|LITTLE WOMEN ATL||LIFETIME||9:00 PM||837||0.3|
|TOTAL DIVAS||E!||9:00 PM||665||0.3|
|LAST WORD W/L. ODONNELL||MSNBC||10:00 PM||2,507||0.3|
|REAL HSWIVES OF NJ||BRAVO||9:00 PM||966||0.3|
|SPECIAL RPT W/BRET BAIER||FOX NEWS||6:00 PM||3,040||0.3|
|SELECCION MEXICO||UNIVISION||8:45 PM||616||0.3|
|IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG||OWN||10:00 PM||1,473||0.3|
- VH1’s popular BLACK INK CREW took top marks in cable on Wednesday, even as it fell a tenth from 0.7 to 0.6 week-to-week. ESPN captured the number 2 and 3 spots, with second position going to the NBA game between New York and Boston (0.6), and the post-game wrap up also scoring a 0.6, good enough for number 3.
- After falling three tenths last week, FX’s AMERICAN CRIME STORY: VERSACE held on to its 0.4 rating this week, but was down slightly in viewers. Breakout Freeform hit GROWNISH also held steady with a 0.3, but just outside the top 25.
- In cable news, the razor thin ratings gap between HANNITY and MADDOW continues – in the 18-49 demo, Hannity ranked .02 higher than Maddow, and continues to maintain the 600K+ daily audience margin.
- We’re deep into pilot pickups for the broadcast networks, and no surprise, it’s reboot city. Be on the lookout for our weekly pilot tracking grids and analysis starting this month, but in the meantime, Deadline has a great overview of the field SO FAR.
- Wilshire Studios, the unscripted production arm of NBCUniversal Cable and MY Entertainment are developing a new competition series titled MVTEEN. Set to host are former NFL and NBA stars Jerry Rice and John Salley and will feature teen athletes at the top of their game facing off against each other in classic physical competitions such as rope climb, 50-yard dash, basketball, soccer, football, and softball, amongst others. At the end of each episode the top male and female athlete will advance to a final round, where they will compete to win “Top Athlete Of The Year” and a cash prize towards college. The studio is also planning a deep mdive into the personal stories of each teen in between competition segments.
- The possibility of a CBS/Viacom merger have moved tentatively forward, with both companies forming committees to evaluate the viability of such a plan. Previous plans to combine the two companies broke off in 2016, but Shari Redstone, head of National Amusements (the controlling stakeholder in both corporations) has been championing the move, commenting, “National Amusements supports the processes announced by CBS and Viacom to evaluate a combination of the two companies, which we believe has the potential to drive significant, long-term shareholder value.”