9-1-1 holds steady; FOX News dominates cable ratings with State of the Union
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.3/5||1.1/4||1.1/4||0.9/3||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||5.15||5.84||4.36||4.79||0.97|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, January 31, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Amazing Race (CBS)||1.2||6.54|
|The Blacklist (NBC)||1.1||6.18|
|The Goldbergs (ABC) – R||1.1||4.29|
|8:30 p.m.||Speechless (ABC) – R||0.8||3.18|
|9 p.m.||9-1-1 (FOX)||1.6||6.12|
|Law & Order: SVU (NBC)||1.3||5.59|
|SEAL Team (CBS)||1.0||6.58|
|Modern Family (ABC) – R||0.9||3.48|
|9:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC) – R||0.8||2.99|
|10 p.m.||Chicago PD (NBC) – R||1.2||6.71|
|Criminal Minds (CBS)||1.0||5.37|
|Match Game (ABC)||0.7||2.87|
- FOX came out the winner for Wednesday night, earning the highest ratings for a new installment of Ryan Murphy procedural drama 9-1-1. Holding steady with last week, the show once again earned a 1.6 in adults, although viewership fell slightly this week (6.12 million this week versus 6.43 million last). Earlier in the evening the X-FILES continues to struggling, losing another tenth in the key demo, down to 0.9 this week. With Gillian Anderson out and this season not hitting with fans, it seems fairly safe to assume that this is the end of discovering whether the truth is really out there.
- CBS had a slightly up night – while THE AMAZING RACE held steady with last week at 1.2, both SEAL TEAM (1.0) and CRIMINAL MINDS (1.0) both returned up a tenth, while on NBC LAW & ORDER: SVU faltered a bit, slipping a tenth to 1.3 (but still in line with its average), and THE BLACKLIST flat with its last new episode two weeks ago, scoring a 1.1.
- CW had its usual lineup of RIVERDALE (0.5) and DYNASTY (0.2), once again scoring their same numbers from the past few weeks. ABC aired a night of reruns, with only MATCH GAME airing a new episode (0.7, even with last week).
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, January 30, 2018
|STATE OF THE UNION||FOX NEWS||9:10 PM||11,705||1.9|
|ST UNION/ANALYSIS||FOX NEWS||10:31 PM||10,530||1.6|
|ST UNION/ANALYSIS||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||9,935||1.5|
|ST UNION/DEM RESPONSE||FOX NEWS||10:42 PM||6,702||1|
|STATE OF THE UNION||CNN||9:10 PM||3,111||0.9|
|CURSE OF OAK ISLAND||HISTORY||9:00 PM||3,248||0.8|
|STATE OF UNION ANALYSIS||CNN||10:31 PM||2,994||0.8|
|SOTU DEMOCRATIC RESPONSE||CNN||10:43 PM||2,870||0.8|
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,509||0.8|
|STATE OF UNION PREVIEW||CNN||9:00 PM||2,770||0.7|
|SP FIXER UPPER||HOME||9:00 PM||3,211||0.7|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||4,945||0.6|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||11:00 PM||3,973||0.6|
|CHALLENGE: VENDETTAS||MTV||9:00 PM||916||0.6|
|NBA BASKETBALL||TNT||8:14 PM||1,400||0.6|
|HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS||OWN||9:00 PM||2,220||0.5|
|REAL HSWIVES OF BEV HILLS||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,595||0.5|
|DEMOCRATIC RESPONSE||MSNBC||10:42 PM||3,332||0.5|
|MSNBC SPECIAL COVERAGE||MSNBC||10:30 PM||3,029||0.5|
|AC360 SOTU ANALYSIS||CNN||11:00 PM||2,009||0.5|
|RESTORED BY THE FORDS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,945||0.4|
|NBA BASKETBALL||TNT||10:38 PM||996||0.4|
|STATE OF THE UNION ADD||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,674||0.4|
|MSNBC SPECIAL COVERAGE||MSNBC||10:55 PM||2,944||0.4|
|DETOUR, THE||TBS||10:30 PM||1,083||0.4|
- Unsurprisingly, it was the State of the Union that dominated cable on Tuesday night, but it was the ultra-conservative Fox News that took the night by a long shot. The address itself grab the highest rating, with a 1.9 among adults 18-49 and 11.7 million viewers overall, with post analysis climbing as high as 1.6 and 1.5 in the 2 and 3 spots, respectively. The most interesting point to note is that, while the Fox News coverage of the Democratic response by Joe Kennedy III still drew a 1.0 for the cable news channel (the highest of any news outlet), it still suffered the steepest drop off in viewership, as nearly 4 million viewers tuned out at once.
- At the more moderate cable news outlet CNN, the SOTU scored 0.9 – 0.5s throughout the night (with the Democratic response climbing as high as a 0.8 for that channel), while left leaning MSNBC peaked at 0.5 in adults 18-49 for its coverage of the annual event. However, audiences were considerably smaller for both CNN and MSNBC, with CNN grabbing just over 3.1 million viewing the SOTU and dropping to just under 3 million for analysis of the address, similar numbers achieved by MSNBC.
- Elsewhere on cable, THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND still held up fairly well, still landing in the top ten of cable with a 0.8, a tenth below last week’s rating, while USA’s WWE SMACKDOWN held steady with a 0.8.
- Two new programming developments out of the fledgling Facebook Watch platform:
- MAKE UP OR BREAK UP, a live streaming show featuring couples seeking advice on their relationship from social media influencer and “sexologist” Shannon Boodram. Couples featured on the show interact with both a live studio audience and viewers on facebook before the two groups decide ultimately whether the couple should make up or break up. Returns for a second season beginning February 15th – shows run anywhere from 20-30 minutes on average. Production value is pretty low, but the audience engagement and conversation is very high (exactly what Facebook is looking to do with their show slate). See the last episode of the first season HERE.
- NINE MONTHS is a new docuseries about pregnancy featuring Courteney Cox as host and is currently casting, “looking for all types of stories from people who are trying to get pregnant, to those who just found out that they are pregnant…diverse, emotional, unexpected character to film themselves…” The perspective will be from the mother’s point of view and are looking for all types of pregnancy stories, from first time mothers, to IVF, surrogacy, and pregnancy after 40. No premiere date is set.
- Bad news for FOX and THE FOUR – record producer Charlie Walk is the latest among those accused of sexual harassment. In wake of the allegations, Walk has been suspended from Republic Records, which (up until yesterday) he ran, and will not attend any further tapings of THE FOUR, which is fast approaching its first season finale. Unclear is what will happen to the winner of the show, who was promised a recording contract with Republic and career guidance by Walk (along with the other producers).
- In a milestone move for live sports programming, YouTube TV has secured exclusive right to games from the newest Major League Soccer franchise forming in Los Angeles. This marks the first time a professional sports team has elected to forego a traditional television deal in favor of a streaming service. Beginning with the team’s inaugural season beginning March 4, YouTube TV will carry 18 exclusive to Southern California games, as well as all 18 of the team’s nationally televised games (broadcasting on ESPN, Fox, and FS1 channels). Said YouTube Director of Sports Partnerships Tim Katz, “[Los Angeles Football Club] is reimagining the sports landscape in the same innovative way we strive to reimagine the live TV experience.”