THE GOLDBERGS spinoff wins Wednesday while 911 falls; Hannity beats Maddow on cable news; Apple adds yet another new series
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.3/5||1.1/4||1.1/4||0.9/3||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||5.15||5.84||4.36||4.79||0.97|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, January 25, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Goldbergs (ABC)||1.7/7||6.06|
|The Amazing Race (CBS) (8-10 p.m.)||1.2/5||6.14|
|The X-Files (FOX)||1.0/4||3.86|
|Law & Order: SVU (NBC) – R||0.9/3||4.8|
|Riverdale (The CW)||0.5/2||1.38|
|8:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC)||1.4/5||5.32|
|9 p.m.||9-1-1 (FOX)||1.6/6||6.43|
|Modern Family (ABC) – R||1.0/4||4.16|
|Law & Order: SVU (NBC) – R||0.8/3||4.51|
|Dynasty (The CW)||0.2/1||0.56|
|9:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC)||1.1/4||4.16|
|10 p.m.||Criminal Minds (CBS)||0.9/3||5.23|
|Chicago PD (NBC) – R||0.9/3||5.05|
|Match Game (ABC)||0.7/3||3.24|
- ABC’s THE GOLDBERGS took the top spot in broadcast last night, scoring a 1.7 in adults 18-49. The comedy had the third largest audience for the night, with 6.06 million tuning in to see the (ultimately passed on) spinoff pilot set in the 90s. While some might speculate if ABC should reconsider the pilot, the performance was flat week-to-week compared to a regular episode of the show. Later on the network, an episode of AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE (1.4) ran in the Speechless slot, a tenth improvement for the half hour compared to last week, while Housewife at its regular 9:30 time was down two tenths. MATCH GAME also fell another tenth to 0.7.
- In the rest of broadcast, it was primarily a down night, overall. Previous Wednesday champ 911 on FOX faltered .2 to score a 1.6 in the 18-49 demo, while X-FILES (1.0) dropped another tenth despite a well-crafted episode (it will pick up a bit in the +3 and +7).
- CBS was down with both of its Wednesday performers – AMAZING RACE (1.2) fell three tenths from last week and is now lagging behind its current season average of 1.4. CRIMINAL MINDS dropped another tenth to 0.9. Side note: can we agree that this show is done? It’s become beyond silly and CBS could free up the hour for a strong female led show on its lineup (which it sorely needs, anyway).
- CW was flat for the night, with both RIVERDALE (0.5) and DYNASTY (0.2) even with last week.
- NBC broadcast a night of reruns.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Tuesday, January 23, 2018
|CURSE OF OAK ISLAND||HISTORY||9:00 PM||3,320||0.9|
|WWE SMACKDOWN||USA||8:00 PM||2,580||0.8|
|NBA BASKETBALL||TNT||8:00 PM||1,998||0.8|
|NBA BASKETBALL||TNT||10:24 PM||1,536||0.7|
|FIXER UPPER||HOME||9:00 PM||3,143||0.6|
|HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS||OPRAH||9:00 PM||2,248||0.6|
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF BEVERLY HILLS||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,557||0.5|
|COLLEGE BKBL REG SSN||ESPN||7:00 PM||1,567||0.5|
|CHALLENGE: VENDETTAS||MTV||9:00 PM||739||0.5|
|AMERICAS TOP MODEL||VH1||8:00 PM||878||0.4|
|DETOUR, THE||TBS||10:30 PM||1,017||0.4|
|HUNTING HITLER||HISTORY||10:11 PM||1,630||0.4|
|RESTORED BY THE FORDS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,721||0.4|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,572||0.4|
|INSIDE THE NBA||TNT||1:03 AM||709||0.4|
|INK MASTER||PARAMOUNT||10:00 PM||768||0.4|
|MY BIG FAT FABULOUS LIFE||TLC||8:00 PM||1,129||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,851||0.4|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||3,311||0.4|
|MARRIED AT FIRST SIGHT||LIFETIME||9:00 PM||954||0.3|
|COLLEGE BKBL REG SSN||ESPN||9:08 PM||1,181||0.3|
|TRUE CONVICTION||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,381||0.3|
|STORY, THE||FOX NEWS||7:00 PM||2,629||0.3|
- History’s THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND took the top spot for a second week in a row, earning a 0.9 in adults 18-49, a tenth of a point improvement over last week. WWE SMACKDOWN followed in the number two position, even with its last airing, earning a 0.8. TNT’s coverage of the Cavaliers v Spurs NBA game rounded out the top three, also with a 0.8 and the later Celtics vs. Lakers game followed closely behind at 0.7
- As usual, the HOUSEWIVES franchise is in the top 25, although the Beverly Hills edition dipped a bit, down to 0.5. OWN’s THE HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS has held steady most of the season, once again earning a 0.6.
- HANNITY took the 18-49 demo by a razor thin margin over MADDOW last night. Although both rounded up to a 0.4 overall, the key demo rating was separated by only a hundredth of a point, with Hannity earning a .37 to Maddow’s .36, and once again eclipsing her audience with a little over 700,000 more viewers.
- ITV will be bringing back reality series DANCING ON ICE for another season in the UK, and is now hoping to make a deal for the format in the US. Similar to Dancing With The Stars, ICE follows celebrities in a series of ice skating challenges and performances.
- Apple continues its high profile march of series orders, this time around adding an hour-long drama from LaLa Land director Damien Chazelle. The details of the projects are being kept under tight lock and key, although he already has a musical drama set at Netflix (THE EDDY as a limited 8×60 series), and is partnered with MRC, who produce much darker dramas (The Ozarks and House of Cards notably). I’m working to get more information on what the show could be as Apple’s first slate of projects are already testing the waters in anthology, comedy, light drama, and sci-fi (scripted), and home-building (alternative).