BLACK LIGHTNING stays strong in second week; WWE RAW celebrates 25th anniversary and ratings win; MURPHY BROWN set to return to CBS next season
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.9/7||1.3/5||1.0/4||0.7/3||0.7/3|
|Total Viewers (millions)||7.91||11.34||3.43||2.69||2.01|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Tuesday, January 23, 2018
|8 p.m.||Ellen’s Game of Games (NBC)||1.8/7||7.52|
|Lethal Weapon (FOX)||1.2/4||4.57|
|The Middle (ABC) – R||0.8/3||4.03|
|The Flash (The CW)||0.7/3||2.07|
|8:30 p.m.||Fresh Off the Boat (ABC) – R||0.6/2||2.71|
|9 p.m.||This Is Us (NBC)||2.5/9||9.33|
|LA to Vegas (FOX)||0.9/3||2.64|
|Black-ish (ABC) – R||0.7/3||2.66|
|Black Lightning (The CW)||0.6/2||1.94|
|9:30 p.m.||The Mick (FOX)||0.7/2||1.93|
|Modern Family (ABC) – R||0.7/2||2.44|
|10 p.m.||Chicago Med (NBC)||1.3/5||6.87|
|NCIS: New Orleans (CBS)||1.0/4||9.2|
|Match Game (ABC) – R||0.6/2||2.16|
- NBC took the night in the demo, but it was CBS leading the charge on viewers Tuesday. On NBC, THIS IS US maintained its 2.5 rating among adults 18-49 for another week in a row, helping it to the ratings win, as ELLEN’S GAME OF GAMES dropped off 18% from last week, down to a 1.8. CHICAGO MED also fell, dropping two tenths to 1.3.
- Meanwhile, BULL had its best night this season on CBS, drawing a 1.4 in the key demo, a tenth higher than its previous best, and retaining 80% of the lead-in audience from NCIS (1.5, steady). NCIS: NEW ORLEANS retained the same 1.0 rating it earned from its last original episode.
- BLACK LIGHTNING remained solid for the CW; although it dropped two tenths from its premiere, earning a 0.6 in its second week, the average is still slightly ahead of LEGENDS OF TOMORROW, the previous occupant of the time slot. THE FLASH is losing a bit of ground, however, dipping a tenth to 0.7 and tying a series low.
- FOX’s lineup was mostly steady, with LETHAL WEAPON (1.2) and LA TO VEGAS (0.9) even with last week, while THE MICK (0.7) was off a tenth.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Monday, January 22, 2018
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||8:00 PM||4,803||1.8|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||9:00 PM||4,641||1.7|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||10:00 PM||4,147||1.6|
|LOVE AND HIP HOP||VH1||8:00 PM||1,847||1|
|LOVE AND HIP HOP MIAMI||VH1||9:00 PM||1,722||0.9|
|STREET OUTLAWS||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,863||0.8|
|TEEN MOM||MTV||9:00 PM||1,279||0.7|
|VANDERPUMP RULES||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,642||0.6|
|STREET OUTLAWS||DISCOVERY||10:03 PM||1,384||0.5|
|THE ALIENIST||TNT||9:00 PM||2,087||0.5|
|KIDS BAKING CHAMP||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,434||0.4|
|AMERICAN PICKERS||HISTORY||9:00 PM||2,048||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,923||0.4|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,795||0.4|
|PAWN STARS||HISTORY||10:03 PM||1,591||0.4|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,618||0.4|
|SIESTA KEY||MTV||10:01 PM||622||0.3|
|COLLEGE BKBL REG SSN||ESPN||7:00 PM||1,044||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER LATE||ESPN||11:33 PM||721||0.3|
|PAWN STARS||HISTORY||10:33 PM||1,409||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,530||0.3|
|COLLEGE BKBL REG SSN||ESPN||9:05 PM||977||0.3|
|JAMES PATTERSONS MURDER||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,486||0.3|
|HOME TOWN||HOME||9:00 PM||1,782||0.3|
|PEOPLE MAG INVESTIGATES||INVEST||9:00 PM||1,492||0.3|
- USA’s WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW took all three top spots in the cable ratings on Monday, showing a noticeable increase over previous weeks. Earning a 1.8 in adults 18-49 at its peak, the show was up a whopping 63%, with a high of 4.803 million viewers tuning in to celebrate the show’s 25th
- Rounding out the top five were VH1’s LOVE & HIP HOP (1.0) and LOVE & HIP HOP: MIAMI (0.9), both of which held steady with previous episodes.
- The official premiere of TNT’s period drama THE ALIENIST performed solidly, bringing in a 0.5 in the demo and 2.09 million viewers overall. While reviews haven’t been great (with Variety calling it a, “rote, by-the-numbers serial killer drama”), I’m still going to check it out the next episode, being a fan of both period pieces and serial killers.
- MADDOW and HANNITY were neck and neck ratings wise on cable news, each earning 0.4s, but Hannity’s audience continues to expand, this time with about 800,000 more viewers than Maddow in the same hour.
- After Will & Grace for NBC and Roseanne for ABC, I guess CBS was feeling left out…until today. MURPHY BROWN, the classic comedy starring Candice Bergen as a famous investigative journalist and TV anchor is coming back to air, with both Bergen and the show’s creator on board. The half-hour multicam has been given a 13-episode straight to series order, and this may be one reboot that hits the sweet spot between balancing nostalgic comfort television with the current political climate.
- Want to know who’s difficult to work with, according to an unscripted TV Producer’s poll? Check out the below graph based on a poll conducted by NPACT (the group representing non-fiction TV producers). Showtime topped the list, with CBS as a close second just ahead of A&E, while MTV and Amazon floundered at the bottom. Amazon surprised me, although with the recent turnover of executives, I wonder if this will change.
- Nielsen has added Instagram to the list of social platform companies it measures (it has measured social ratings on Facebook and Twitter since 2016). Said SVP of Client Service, Erika Faust, “Networks are continuing to invest in social strategies to drive awareness and engagement around programs…Being able to provide both owned and organic analysis now gives clients and the industry a trusted source of syndicated measurement to understand the return on those investments and how they play a role in driving the overall social conversation about television.”