ABC leads with BACHELOR and GOOD DOCTOR while THE RESIDENT sinks on FOX; CBS orders 3 pilots
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.8/6||1.0/4||1.0/4||0.9/3||0.4/2|
|Total Viewers (millions)||7.38||5.8||4.22||4.65||1.54|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Monday, January 22, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Bachelor (ABC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.8/6||6.32|
|Kevin Can Wait (CBS)||1.3/5||7.29|
|The Wall (NBC)||1.2/4||5.72|
|Supergirl (The CW)||0.5/2||2.03|
|8:30 p.m.||Man with a Plan (CBS)||1.2/4||6.64|
|9 p.m.||Superior Donuts (CBS)||1.0/4||5.7|
|The Resident (FOX)||1.0/4||4.67|
|Better Late Than Never (NBC)||0.9/3||4.84|
|Valor (The CW)||0.2/1||1.05|
|9:30 p.m.||9JKL (CBS)||0.8/3||4.73|
|10 p.m.||The Good Doctor (ABC)||1.7/7||9.49|
|The Brave (NBC)||0.6/2||3.39|
- ABC rode the night to an easy win overall, with both THE BACHELOR (1.8) and THE GOOD DOCTOR (1.7 in adults 18-49 both remained even for a second week in a row. The network also captured the most viewers for the evening, with 7.38 million tuning in.
- The news was not so rosy over on FOX, where THE RESIDENT slid into its regular timeslot and tanked its rating. Earning a scant 1.0 for the evening, the new medical drama was down more than a point from its premiere after the NFC Championship on Sunday. I could see this show getting swept under the rug pretty quickly, with its rating already sinking and writer/medical consultant for the show Zach Lutsky the latest to be investigated for rampant sexual harassment. Earlier in the evening, LUCIFER returned with a 0.9, up two tenths from its last episode on New Year’s Day.
- CBS had a somewhat down night, with only KEVIN CAN WAIT (1.3) and MAN WITH A PLAN (1.2) holding steady. SUPERIOR DONUTS (1.0) and SCORPION (0.8) each dropped off a tenth, while shrill multi-cam comedy 9JKL (seriously, I forgot this was even still on the air), dropped two tenths to 0.8.
- Much of the same news for NBC; THE WALL retained its 1.2 rating among adults 18-49 for another week, but both BETTER LATE THAN NEVER (0.9) and THE BRAVE (0.6) came down a tenth.
- On the CW, VALOR put up its usual 0.2 and SUPERGIRL faltered a bit, off .1 to 0.5 for the night.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Sunday, January 21, 2018
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA||BRAVO||8:00 PM||2,230||0.9|
|NFL COUNTDOWN||ESPN||12:00 PM||1,668||0.6|
|ROBOT CHICKEN||ADULT SWIM||11:30 PM||1,144||0.6|
|KEEPING UP W/THE KARDASHIANS||E!||9:00 PM||1,164||0.5|
|HOT STREETS||ADULT SWIM||12:00 AM||795||0.4|
|SAG AWARDS||TBS||8:00 PM||1,300||0.4|
|SISTER WIVES||TLC||8:00 PM||1,340||0.4|
|NFL PRIMETIME||ESPN||9:53 PM||992||0.4|
|WORST COOKS IN AMERICA||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,363||0.4|
|ISLAND LIFE||HGTV||10:30 PM||1,460||0.4|
|SAG AWARDS||TNT||8:00 PM||1,408||0.4|
|ALASKA: THE LAST FRONTIER||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||2,078||0.4|
|ON THE CASE WITH PAULA ZAHN||ID||10:00 PM||1,479||0.4|
|HOT STREETS||ADULT SWIM||12:15 AM||668||0.4|
|TO ROME FOR LOVE||BRAVO||9:15 PM||924||0.3|
|ISLAND LIFE||HGTV||10:00 PM||1,480||0.3|
|EVIL LIVES HERE||ID||9:00 PM||1,326||0.3|
|BAHAMAS LIFE||HGTV||9:30 PM||1,456||0.3|
|BAHAMAS LIFE||HGTV||9:00 PM||1,228||0.3|
|GUY’S GROCERY GAMES||FOOD||8:00 PM||889||0.3|
- With the NFC Championship game siphoning off some of cable viewership on Sunday, the latest installment of the SAG Awards came in quite a bit lower from 2016, earning a combined 0.8 across TLC and TNT, and 2.71 million viewers. In 2016, the show earned a 1.2 and 3.87 million viewers (and didn’t air opposite an NFL playoff game).
- At the top of the list for the evening was THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA, scoring a 0.9 among adults 18-49 (down a tenth), while NFL COUNTDOWN and ROBOT CHICKEN followed behind to round out the top 3, each earning 0.6s.
- After two weeks of improved numbers, KEEPING UP WITH THE KARDASHIANS slipped back again, sinking two tenths to 0.5.
- CBS has kicked off its pilot orders, giving the green light to two comedies and a drama. Details and loglines below:
- MURDER | WBTV x CBSTV x Lin Pictures
A fresh take on an investigative drama explores crime through the conflicting perspectives of cops, killers, witnesses, victims, friends and family, shot in the style of a true crime documentary.
- I MOM SO HARD | WBTV x CBSTV
Based on the popular webseries #IMOMSOHARD, this multi-camera comedy follows two moms who show how their friendship gets them through the trials and tribulations of being wives and mothers.
- HISTORY OF THEM | CBSTV x Sony x Odenkirk Provissiero
Hybrid multi-cam, an ensemble show about how two friends meet and fall in love, using the couple’s social media accounts as a guide to tell their story (I’ll be curious how this one gets pieced together)
- An article well worth reading on Deadline: Rupert Murdoch has called on digital juggernauts like Google and Facebook to start paying TV-style carriage fees to legitimate news content providers, saying forcefully, “Facebook and Google have popularized scurrilous news sources through algorithms that are profitable for these platforms but inherently unreliable.” See the rest HERE.
- Epix is bringing back Mark Burnett boxing competition THE CONTENDER. The upcoming 13×60 series will feature 16 boxers living, training, and fighting against each other while all competing to bring home the six-figure purse.