ELLEN’S GAME OF GAMES renewed for a second season; THIS IS US returns strong; College Football Championship dominates cable; Endemol Shine finalizing a deal in US for FAMILY FOOD FIGHT
Network Average – Tuesday, January 9, 2018
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||2.1/8||1.3/5||0.9/4||0.9/4||0.3/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||8.2||11.06||3.39||3.28||0.88|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Monday, January 8, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Big Bang Theory (CBS) – R||1.4/5||7.69|
|The Bachelor (ABC) (8-10 p.m.)||1.4/5||5.51|
|The Wall (NBC)||1.0/4||5.04|
|Lucifer (FOX) – R||0.6/2||2.06|
|Supergirl (The CW) – R||0.3/1||1.05|
|8:30 p.m.||Kevin Can Wait (CBS) – R||1.1/4||5.49|
|9 p.m.||Young Sheldon (CBS) – R||1.1/4||5.91|
|Better Late Than Never (NBC)||0.8/3||4.09|
|The Gifted (FOX) – R||0.4/1||1.43|
|Arrow (The CW) – R||0.2/1||0.83|
|9:30 p.m.||Superior Donuts (CBS) – R||0.8/3||4.44|
|10 p.m.||The Good Doctor (ABC)||1.6/6||8.22|
|The Brave (NBC)||0.6/2||2.96|
|SWAT (CBS) – R||0.6/2||3.55|
- On a rerun heavy night, THE GOOD DOCTOR on ABC scored the highest of the night, earning a 1.6 for its first show back after the holiday hiatus, even with its last show of 2017, despite airing against a College Football Playoff title game. That’s the good news. The bad news is that the show tied its previous low for the season so far – it’s probably not enough of a blip to make much of a difference, but I’ll be keen to see if it goes up or down next week.
- Predictably, THE BACHELOR faltered a bit after its premiere, dropping a tenth to 1.4 in adults 18-49. Other shows on NBC fared a bit better for the evening; both THE WALL (1.0) and BETTER LATE THAN NEVER (0.8) both picked up a tenth from last week, while underrated THE BRAVE fell another tenth, to a low of 0.6 (a shame – of all the military themed shows that cropped up this season, this is the only one that has decent writing, a cinematic look, and engaging characters without straying into the heavy-handed jingoism that turned me off from SEAL TEAM, or the mess that is VALOR).
- Quick note about the CFP championship game: in fast nationals, the main telecast on ESPN scored a 16.0, easily the top show of the night by far, up 8% from last year (college football seems to be something most Americans can still agree on, even as NFL viewership continues to falter). More notes on the game in cable notes below.
Network Average – Monday, January 8, 2018
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.5/5||1.0/4||0.8/3||0.5/2||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||6.41||5.1||4.03||1.74||0.94|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Tuesday, January 9, 2018
|8 p.m.||Ellen’s Game of Games (NBC)||2.1/8||7.98|
|The Middle (ABC)||1.3/5||5.39|
|Lethal Weapon (FOX)||1.0/4||4.23|
|The Flash (The CW) – R||0.3/1||0.89|
|8:30 p.m.||Fresh Off the Boat (ABC)||1.0/4||3.63|
|9 p.m.||This Is Us (NBC)||2.7/9||9.7|
|LA to Vegas (FOX)||0.8/3||2.63|
|Legends of Tomorrow (The CW) – R||0.2/1||0.88|
|9:30 p.m.||Modern Family (ABC) – R||0.8/3||2.7|
|The Mick (FOX)||0.7/3||2.01|
|10 p.m.||Chicago Med (NBC)||1.4/6||6.93|
|NCIS: New Orleans (CBS)||1.0/4||8.59|
|Kevin (Probably) Saves the World (ABC)||0.7/3||2.44|
- NBC won the night, with a one-two punch of breakout hit game show ELLEN’S GAME OF GAMES (2.1 this week, down one tenth from last week’s final numbers) and the return of THIS IS US (2.7, off slightly from its last pre-holiday show, which earned a 2.8). NBC continued to lead in the 10pm hour with CHICAGO MED at 1.4 (off a tenth from lat week). Unsurprisingly, NBC has been quick to announce a second season of GAME OF GAMES, with president of alternative and reality Paul Telegdy enthusing, “Ellen’s enthusiasm and energy is utterly infectious. It’s been exciting to watch her antics supersized on a primetime stage.”
- New comedy LA TO VEGAS on Fox dropped in its second week, flying a little closer to the ground at 0.8 versus its 1.1 premiere rating last week. Off of its promising start last week and a 38% lift in rating in the Live+3 results, Fox has ordered 3 additional episodes of the comedy, bringing its season order up to 15. Sophomore shows THE MICK (0.7) and LETHAL WEAPON (1.0) were both down a tenth.
- CBS stayed the course for another week in a row, with NCIS (1.5), BULL (1.2) and NCIS: NEW ORLEANS (1.0) all matching early numbers from last week’s episodes (BULL adjusted up slightly in finals).
- ABC programming mostly dropped off week-to-week, with THE MIDDLE (1.3) and FRESH OFF THE BOAT (1.0) each sliding back two tenths, while BLACKISH (1.0) shed a tenth, and KEVIN (PROBABLY) SAVES THE WORLD managing to hold even with last week, scoring a 0.7 among adults 18-49.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Sunday, January 7, 2018
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA||BRAVO||8:00 PM||2,268||1|
|LIVE FROM THE RED CARPET: GOLDEN GLOBES||E!||6:00 PM||1,505||0.6|
|ROBOT CHICKEN||ADULT SWIM||11:30 PM||1,153||0.5|
|NFL COUNTDOWN||ESPN||10:00 AM||1,450||0.5|
|KEEPING UP W/THE KARDASHIANS||E!||9:00 PM||1,053||0.5|
|WORST COOKS IN AMERICA||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,438||0.5|
|EVIL LIVES HERE||ID||9:00 PM||1,461||0.4|
|ON THE CASE W/PAULA ZAHN||ID||10:00 PM||1,527||0.4|
|SISTER WIVES||TLC||8:00 PM||1,641||0.4|
|TO ROME FOR LOVE||BRAVO||9:00 PM||948||0.4|
|BEACHFRONT BARGAIN HUNT||HGTV||8:30 PM||1,551||0.4|
|NFL PRIMETIME||ESPN||7:54 PM||967||0.4|
|ISLAND LIFE||HGTV||10:00 PM||1,368||0.3|
|BEACHFRONT BARGAIN HUNT||HGTV||8:00 PM||1,393||0.3|
|ALASKA: THE LAST FRONTIER||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||2,026||0.3|
|BAHAMAS LIFE||HGTV||9:00 PM||1,525||0.3|
|BAHAMAS LIFE||HGTV||9:30 PM||1,525||0.3|
|GUY’S GROCERY GAMES||FOOD||8:00 PM||990||0.3|
|MOTHER, MAY I DANCE WITH MARY JANE’S FIST||ADULT SWIM||12:00 AM||611||0.3|
|ISLAND LIFE||HGTV||10:30 PM||1,205||0.3|
- As is the case with most of the HOUSEWIVES franchise shows, REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA took the top slot in cable on Sunday, scoring a 1.0 in adults 18-49 and capturing 2.27 million viewers, best in both categories for the night.
- Following in second was a new episode of SHAMELESS on Showtime, tying its season high of 0.7, with an audience of 1.65 million. Not faring nearly as well was Showtime’s new drama THE CHI, a coming-of-age story about kids on the South Side of Chicago, debuted to a 0.2 and 533K viewers, outside the top 25.
- Rounding out the top 3 was E!’s LIVE FROM THE RED CARPET show during the Golden Globes, even with last year’s telecast rating at 0.6 (personally, the only reason I watched E!’s coverage was to delight in attendees heckling the E! correspondents during their interviews).
- Elsewhere on the top 25, ESPN scored several slots with multiple editions of SPORTSCENTER (all 0.3) and NFL coverage (0.4-0.5).
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Monday, January 8, 2017
|CFP CHAMPIONSHIP L||ESPN||8:20 PM||27,383||8.7|
|COLL FTBL BOWL STUDIO L||ESPN||12:10 AM||13,457||4.9|
|COLL FTBL BOWL STUDIO L||ESPN||7:59 PM||15,541||4.6|
|COLL FTBL BOWL STUDIO L||ESPN||7:30 PM||5,865||2.1|
|SPORTSCENTER 12AM L||ESPN||12:40 AM||3,417||1.4|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||8:00 PM||2,993||1|
|LOVE AND HIP HOP||VH1||8:00 PM||1,864||1|
|LOVE AND HIP HOP MIAMI||VH1||9:00 PM||1,670||0.9|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||9:00 PM||2,784||0.9|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||10:00 PM||2,502||0.8|
|CHAMPIONSHIP DRIVE L||ESPN||5:57 PM||1,966||0.7|
|VANDERPUMP RULES||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,525||0.6|
|TEEN MOM SSN 7||MTV||9:00 PM||1,139||0.6|
|SPORTSCENTER 1AM||ESPN||2:00 AM||1,451||0.6|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:00 PM||1,221||0.4|
|FLORIBAMA SHORE||MTV||10:01 PM||785||0.4|
|COLL FTBL BOWL STUDIO L||ESPN2||8:00 PM||1,454||0.4|
|KIDS BAKING CHAMP 4||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,232||0.3|
|STREET OUTLAWS||DISCOVERY||10:00 PM||948||0.3|
|PEOPLE MAG INVESTIGATES||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,294||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,656||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||10:00 PM||1,397||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS||HOME||8:30 PM||1,264||0.3|
|RIDICULOUS CAKES||FOOD||10:00 PM||844||0.3|
|ERIN BURNETT OUTFRONT||CNN||7:00 PM||972||0.3|
- Sports once again predictably dominated cable on Monday, with coverage of the College Football Playoff title game taking four of the five top slots on the list. The game itself between Alabama and Georgia scored an 8.7 in adults 18-49 and 27.383 million viewers, while the pre- and post-game shows ranged from 4.9 – 1.4.
- USA’s weekly broadcast of WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW, normally at the top of cable on Mondays slid into the number 6 spot, scoring a 1.0 at its peak, and 0.9 – 0.8 in subsequent hours.
- Popular program LOVE & HIP HOP on VH1 retained its 1.0 rating for another week in a row, with spin-off series LOVE & HIP HOP: MIAMI slipping slightly, falling one tenth from 1.0 to 0.9.
- RACHEL MADDOW on MSNBC earned a 0.3 and drew in 2.656 million viewers.
- Spoke with the development team at Endemol Shine yesterday – they are currently papering a deal with a network in the US for FAMILY FOOD FIGHT, and hope to share more information by early February.
- NBC has officially kicked off pilot season 2018-19, ordering 1-hour drama THE VILLAGE to pilot. Written and executive produced by Mike Daniels (The Brave), Village is a sprawling ensemble drama set in a Manhattan apartment building where the lives of the residents intertwine. Considering the faltering ratings but critically acclaimed Brave, I can’t help but wonder if this is NBC’s olive branch to Daniels as they get ready to dump the freshman military drama by next season.
- Apple is continuing on its development tear, landing the epic world-building drama SEE from Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight in a competitive situation with a straight-to-series order. This brings Apple’s series commitment tally up to 4 scripted shows (AMAZING STORIES, UNTITLED MORNING SHOW with Reese Witherspoon & Jennifer Aniston, and UNTITLED SPACE DRAMA from Ronald D. Moore being the other three), 1 unscripted (HOME), and 1 project in development (ARE YOU SLEEPING starring Octavia Spencer).
- As Sinclair Broadcast Group continues its march towards regulatory approval from the FCC to acquire Tribune, it may be looking to shed a few station assets in order to get their final OK. 21st Century Fox is set to acquire 10 local stations from SBG, further helping to smooth the way for a deal that may see the longstanding 39% cap on station ownership lifted, giving Sinclair a before-unheard-of 72% penetration into US households. The FCC completes its review on January 17th and I’ll be looking to update then.
- Even the Olympics will be streaming this year. Hulu, in partnership with NBCUniversal and NBC Sports will offer subscribers of Hulu’s live TV service an opportunity to personalize their experience of the Games, where they can pick competitions they are most interested in watching and then be fed daily clips and highlights from the service. While further details about how the personalized broadcasts will work, I’m intrigued to try it out, as this may signal a new way that live events can be consumed by viewers in the (very near) future.
- The US appetite for streaming services and home entertainment content is undeniable, with spending rising 5% in 2017 to a total of $20.5 billion dollars. Biggest winners were VOD services such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, registering $9.5 billion in US dollars spent last year, a 31% increase over 2016. See the below chart for more information:
(Chart Source: DEG Online)