911 on Fox premieres strong; college championship football predictably dominates New Year’s Day on cable; News viewing increased 12% while sports viewing dropped 6% in 2017
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.6/6||1.3/5||1.3/5||1.1/4||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||6||6.36||4.66||6.19||0.64|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Wednesday, January 4, 2018
|8 p.m.||The Amazing Race (CBS) – P||1.6/6||7.31|
|The Goldbergs (ABC)||1.5/6||5.84|
|The X-Files (FOX) – P||1.4/5||5.19|
|The Blacklist (NBC)||1.0/4||6.01|
|Riverdale (The CW) – R||0.2/1||0.79|
|8:30 p.m.||Speechless (ABC)||1.1/4||4.33|
|9 p.m.||9-1-1 (FOX) – P||1.8/7||6.81|
|Modern Family (ABC)||1.7/6||5.9|
|Law & Order: SVU (NBC)||1.4/5||6.29|
|SEAL Team (CBS)||0.9/3||5.87|
|Dynasty (The CW) – R||0.1/0||0.49|
|9:30 p.m.||American Housewife (ABC)||1.3/5||4.77|
|10 p.m.||Chicago PD (NBC)||1.3/5||6.78|
|Criminal Minds (CBS)||0.9/3||5.38|
|Match Game (ABC) – P||0.9/3||3.56|
- THE X-FILES returned to FOX last night, but it was 911 that took home the ratings win for the evening. X-FILES premiered to a 1.4, less than half its 3.2 rating in 2016 and seven tenths down from its weakest episode of that season. However, new drama 911, starring Angela Bassett, Peter Krause, and Connie Britton improved on the lead in, scoring a 1.8, the third highest drama premiere of the 2017-18 season before THE ORVILLE (Fox) and THE GOOD DOCTOR (ABC). Expecting a sharp-drop off in the second week; while there is appeal to such high profile actors in a straightforward, easily digestible procedural, the writing lacks any of the usual Ryan Murphy punch and flair.
- NBC had an up night across the board; LAW & ORDER: SVU (1.4) and CHICAGO PD (1.3) each rose a tenth from their last episodes, and even BLACKLIST, which hasn’t been on the air since mid-November, ticked up a tenth from its last rating, earning a 1.0.
- The latest season of THE AMAZING RACE is off to a roaring start for CBS, earning a 1.6 for the night, nearly double it’s 0.9 average last season, whereas SEAL TEAM dropped 0.2 from its last episode, earning a 0.9 for the night. A new episode of CRIMINAL MINDS held steady at 0.9
- ABC’s lineup of comedies either held steady (MODERN FAMILY [1.7], AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE [1.3]) or dropped a tenth (THE GOLDBERGS [1.5], SPEECHLESS [1.1]). The latest season of MATCH GAME debuted to a 0.9.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Monday, January 4, 2018
|CFP SEMIFINAL L||ESPN||5:12 PM||25,854||7.6|
|CFP SEMIFINAL L||ESPN||9:22 PM||20,407||6.3|
|COLL FTBL BOWL STUDIO||ESPN||4:54 PM||16,514||4.7|
|COLL FTBL BOWL STUDIO||ESPN||4:40 PM||14,865||4.4|
|CFP SEMIFINAL SUST L||ESPN||12:03 AM||12,670||4.1|
|COLL FTBL BOWL STUDIO L||ESPN||12:25 AM||7,413||2.6|
|PEACH BOWL L||ESPN||12:40 PM||8,377||2.4|
|COLL FTBL BOWL GAME L||ESPN2||12:01 PM||5,050||1.4|
|SPORTSCENTER L||ESPN||12:36 AM||3,255||1.2|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||8:00 PM||2,969||1|
|STREET OUTLAWS: BRISTOL||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||2,749||1|
|LOVE AND HIP HOP||VH1||8:00 PM||1,846||1|
|LOVE AND HIP HOP MIAMI||VH1||9:00 PM||1,829||1|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||9:00 PM||2,912||1|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||10:00 PM||2,714||0.9|
|COLL FTBL BOWL STUDIO L||ESPN||12:30 PM||2,477||0.8|
|ROSE BOWL TROPHY CELEB||ESPN2||9:22 PM||2,641||0.7|
|STREET OUTLAWS SPC||DISCOVERY||8:00 PM||1,683||0.6|
|TEEN MOM||MTV||9:00 PM||1,031||0.6|
|COLLEGE GAMEDAY||ESPN||9:00 AM||1,556||0.6|
|VANDERPUMP RULES||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,275||0.5|
|NFL LIVE||ESPN2||3:46 PM||15,444||0.5|
|HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER||HBO||2:14 PM||1,056||0.4|
|HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET||HBO||4:36 PM||1,001||0.4|
|PEOPLE MAG INVESTIGATES||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,489||0.4|
- While protests and controversy swirled around the NFL this season, further accelerating the ratings decline we’ve seen over the past few years, championship college football on New Year’s Day still remains a live event most Americans can agree on. Taking nine of the top 10 spots on Monday’s cable ratings, ESPN dominated with coverage of the Rose and Sugar Bowls, earning a 7.6 and 6.3 in adults 18-49, respectively, and a top audience of 25,854,000 for the Rose Bowl. Pre- and post-game shows scored between 2.6 and 4.7 throughout the night, while the broadcast of the Peach and Outback Bowls earned an additional 2.4 and 1.4 earlier in the day.
- On USA, WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW improved on last week, picking up a tenth to earn a 1.0 peak rating.
- Elsewhere on cable, VH1 had a solid showing: LOVE & HIP HOP rose four-tenths to a 1.0 in adults 18-49, while the series premiere of spinoff franchise LOVE & HIP HOP: MIAMI also scored a 1.0, and retained virtually all of its lead-in audience from the flagship show in the hour before.
- As you may be aware, The Four premieres on Fox tonight. I have low expectations but let’s see…I am attending the taping tomorrow afternoon – please let me know any questions you want answered outside of the norm as I will have time with the producers. HERE is a five-minute promo for the show that ran on Fox on New Year’s Eve.
- A sign of the times and Americans’ obsession with American Politics: The TV Version. In a report by Pivotal Research, analyst Brian Wieser estimated that TV News viewing increased by 12% in 2017, while sports viewing dropped by 6%. See more details and statistics in the article posted by Deadline HERE.
- In an interesting twist of irony, A&E’s unscripted LIVE PD ranked as the most DVRd show of 2017, according to THIS THE WALKING DEAD was the most watched show across time-shifted viewing, while NFL Football still predictably dominated live linear and antenna viewing.
- Apple continues its high profile scripted development, this time picking up ARE YOU SLEEPING starring Oscar winner Octavia Spencer. The show centers around people’s obsession with true crime podcasts, asking the question, “What are the consequences when the pursuit of justice is placed on a public stage?” Reese Witherspoon’s Hello Sunshine will produce in partnership with Chernin Entertainment and Endeavor Content, with a script by Nichelle Tramble Spellman (The Good Wife, upcoming Confederate).
- Actress and activist Rose McGowan, most recently in the news as one of Harvey Weinstein’s earliest accusers, has received a 5-episode limited series commitment for her new docuseries CITIZEN ROSE. The series will be a behind-the-scenes look at the world through Rose’s eyes, as she launches her new book Brave. The first part will be a 2-hour special, airing on January 30th.