THE VOICE leads the night, but falls short of 2016 finale, MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL slips again, Michael Hirst (VIKINGS) opens independent production company Green Pavilion Entertainment
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.8/7||0.9/4||0.5/2||0.5/2||0.2/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||9.85||3.83||4.68||1.99||1.03|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – Tuesday, December 19, 2017
|8 p.m.||The Voice: Recap (NBC)||1.4/6||7.86|
|Olaf’s Frozen Adventure (ABC) – R||1.0/4||4.25|
|A Home for the Holidays with Josh Groban (CBS) – S||0.6/2||5.14|
|Lethal Weapon (FOX) – R||0.6/2||2.63|
|Movie: Big Game (The CW) (8-10 p.m.)||0.2/1||1.03|
|8:30 p.m.||Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice (ABC) – S||0.9/4||3.38|
|9 p.m.||The Voice (NBC) (9-11 p.m.) – F||2.0/8||10.84|
|The Year: 2017 (ABC) (9-11 p.m.) – S||0.8/3||3.84|
|NCIS (CBS) – R||0.5/2||5.01|
|The Mick (FOX) – R||0.4/2||1.38|
|9:30 p.m.||Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas (FOX) – S||0.4/2||1.31|
|10 p.m.||Bull (CBS) – R||0.4/3||3.88|
- The finale of THE VOICE easily led the night on Tuesday, though it was off half a point from its 2016 fall closer, but narrowly beat the spring finale by a tenth.
- It was an otherwise light night of original programming leading up to the holidays. ABC specials PREP & LANDING: NAUGHTY VS. NICE earned a 0.9 in adults 18-49, while the News’ division special THIS YEAR: 2017 scored a 0.8.
- Other holiday specials on broadcast included CBS’ annual A HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS (0.6), FOX’s ICE AGE: A MAMMOTH CHRISTMAS, which scored a 0.4, airing at the odd time of 9:30pm ET.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Monday, December 18, 2017
|NFL REGULAR SEASON||ESPN||8:15 PM||9,411||3.1|
|SPORTSCENTER 12AM||ESPN||11:39 PM||2,695||1.1|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||8:00 PM||3,085||1|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||9:00 PM||2,803||0.9|
|WWE ENTERTAINMENT||USA||10:00 PM||2,470||0.8|
|LOVE AND HIP HOP||VH1||8:00 PM||1,518||0.8|
|STREET OUTLAWS||DISCOVERY||9:00 PM||1,847||0.7|
|REMY & PAPOOSE||VH1||9:00 PM||1,238||0.6|
|TEEN MOM||MTV||9:00 PM||1,073||0.6|
|90 DAY FIANCE||TLC||8:00 PM||1,734||0.6|
|MONDAY NIGHT COUNTDOWN||ESPN||6:00 PM||1,522||0.6|
|90 DAY FIANCE: TELL ALL||TLC||9:11 PM||1,760||0.5|
|VANDERPUMP RULES||BRAVO||9:00 PM||1,276||0.5|
|DECORATE DISNEY HOLI MAGIC||FREEFORM||8:00 PM||1,243||0.5|
|HOLIDAY BAKING CHAMPION||FOOD||9:00 PM||1,651||0.5|
|FLORIBAMA SHORE||MTV||10:01 PM||716||0.4|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||1,009||0.3|
|TENDER TOUCHES||ADULT||12:30 AM||729||0.3|
|CHRISTMAS COOKIE CHLG||FOOD||10:00 PM||1,008||0.3|
|TENDER TOUCHES||ADULT||12:45 AM||630||0.3|
|RACHEL MADDOE SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||2,550||0.3|
|NBA REGULAR SEASON||NBA-TV||10:30 PM||622||0.3|
|TWO AND A HALF MEN||NICK-AT-NITE||1:00 AM||550||0.3|
|PEOPLE MAG INVESTIGATES||INVEST||10:00 PM||1,050||0.3|
|ERIN BURNETT OUTFRONT||CNN||7:00 PM||1,023||0.3|
- Predictably, MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL still topped cable, although ESPN’s broadcast of the game between Atlanta and Tampa Bay scored a 3.1 among adults 18-49, down four tenths from last week’s game between New England and Miami. Just as predictable, SPORTSCENTER grabbed the number 2 spot with a 1.1.
- The rest of the top 5 was rounded out by USA’s weekly 3-hour broadcast of WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW, earning a 1.0 at its peak in the 8pm hour and declining to a 0.8 by the 10pm hour.
- LOVE & HIP HOP fell slightly, dropping a tenth to 0.8 this week.
- Also dropping a tenth was The Discovery Channel’s STREET OUTLAWS, down to 0.7 from last week’s 0.8.
- Great commentary by Peter Bart of Deadline Hollywood, summing up the dark mood swirling around US media this year racked with scandals, mergers, and the banishment of net neutrality. Read it HERE.
- Michael Hirst, creator of VIKINGS and THE TUDORS, has launched his own independent production company, with a first-look deal at MGM. Green Pavilion Entertainment consists of Hirst, Morgan O’Sullivan and James Flynn, who will develop and produce high-end dramas for both domestic and international markets.
- Discovery and Group Nine Media are set to roll out CASH LIFT, a digital companion series to the returning CASH CAB. The show features the same game play format, but this time in a hotel elevator instead of a taxi. Episodes will be released on both the Discovery Go and Facebook Watch platforms. The series is the first collaboration between Discovery and Group Nine on a digital series that complements an existing linear show.
- Research firm Parrot Analytics conducted a deep dive into television analytics, measuring the various ways US viewers express their demand for shows, creating a list of the market’s most in-demand scripted showrunners for both comedy and drama. While many of the names are not surprising, it’s still an interesting read, given the amount of data analyzed. Check it out HERE.