Ellen’s GAME OF GAMES debuts strong on NBC Monday; Fox’s CHRISTMAS STORY LIVE falls flat on Sunday; NBC acquires mobile streaming rights to SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL in 2018 as Watergate becomes the latest hot topic in limited-series development
Network Average: Sunday, December 17, 2017
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||4.4/15||2.1/8||1.5/6||0.8/3|
|Total Viewers (millions)||14.25||11.58||4.48||4.54|
Network Average: Monday, December 18, 2017
|Adults 18-49 rating/share||1.9/7||1.0/4||0.9/3||0.4/2||0.1/1|
|Total Viewers (millions)||9.73||4.8||5.28||1.61||0.53|
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – December 17, 2017
|7 p.m.||NFL overrun (CBS)||6.9/25||27.97|
|Football Night in America (NBC) (7-8:30 p.m.)||3.0/11||10.08|
|A Christmas Story Live (FOX) (7-10 p.m.) – S||1.5/6||4.48|
|Movie: The Sound of Music (ABC) (7-11 p.m.)||0.8/3||4.54|
|7:30 p.m.||60 Minutes (CBS)||2.8/10||15|
|8:30 p.m.||Sunday Night Football (NBC) (8:30-11 p.m.)||5.2/18||16.75|
|Wisdom of the Crowd (CBS)||1.1/4||7.33|
|9:30 p.m.||NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)||0.9/3||7.04|
|10:30 p.m.||Madam Secretary (CBS) (10:30-11 p.m.)||0.7/3||5.92|
- CBS posted the largest gains over last week, mostly due to a huge boost from football this past Sunday. Audience for the NFL overrun on CBS swelled 10.5 million over last week’s viewership, giving 60 MINUTES one its largest audiences of the season (15 million) and a 1.7 point increase over last week’s rating. WISDOM OF THE CROWD also posted gains, rising four tenths to 1.1 over a 0.7 last Sunday. NCIS: LOS ANGELES rose a tenth to 1.1, while MADAM SECRETARY stayed flat at 0.7
- A CHRISTMAS STORY LIVE put up an OK 1.5 for FOX with just under 5 million watching. The most musical fell far short of GREASE LIVE in January, which earned the net a 4.6 rating and 12.2 million viewers.
- Elsewhere on broadcast, NBC’s FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA ticked up nearly a point to a 3.0 over last week’s 2.1, while SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL scored a 5.2 amongst adults 18-49, ticking up 3 tenths from last Sunday’s 4.9.
- ABC’s annual broadcast of THE SOUND OF MUSIC earned a 0.8, down half a point from its 2016 airing.
Broadcast Primetime Live + Same Day – December 18, 2017
|8 p.m.||The Voice (NBC) (8-10 p.m.)||2.0/7||10.91|
|Kevin Can Wait (CBS)||1.1/4||6.24|
|The Great Christmas Light Fight (ABC) (8-10 p.m.) – F||1.0/4||4.62|
|Lucifer (FOX) – R||0.4/2||1.87|
|Popstar’s Best of 2017 (The CW) – S||0.2/1||0.63|
|8:30 p.m.||Man with a Plan (CBS)||0.9/3||5.52|
|9 p.m.||Superior Donuts (CBS)||0.8/3||5.01|
|The Gifted (FOX) – R||0.4/1||1.36|
|The Hollywood Walk of Fame Honors (The CW) – S||0.1/0||0.44|
|9:30 p.m.||9JKL (CBS)||0.7/3||4.27|
|10 p.m.||Ellen’s Game of Games (NBC) – P||1.7/6||7.35|
|The Year in Memoriam 2017 (ABC) – S||0.9/4||5.15|
- Ellen’s GAME OF GAMES debuted last night on NBC to strong ratings, earning a 1.7 in adults 18-49 and 7.35 million viewers overall, retaining 2/3 of the lead in audience from THE VOICE (which was up a tenth over last week, resting at 2.0). The game play is a fairly simple trivia format in 3 progressive rounds, where the final contestant plays for $100,000. The production design is pretty eye-popping, and the games are fun and silly at first, although I personally found the game play to get repetitive and boring pretty quickly as it fought to fill the hour. See the entire first episode HERE.
- CBS’ line up was a bit off last night. While both KEVIN CAN WAIT (1.1) and 9JKL (0.7) were steady, MAN WITH A PLAN (0.9), SUPERIOR DONUTS (0.8) and SCORPION (0.8) were all down a tenth from last week.
- On ABC, THE GREAT CHRISTMAS LIGHT FIGHT finale scored a 1.0 in 18-49s, while a special YEAR IN MEMORIAM earned a 0.9.
- CW earned the dubious honor of getting a rare 0 share for its broadcast of THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME HONORS (which earned a dismal-even-for-the-CW 0.1). An earlier special, POPSTAR’S BEST OF 2017 scored a 0.2.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Thursday, December 14, 2017
|NBA BASKETBALL||TNT||8:14 PM||1,787||0.7|
|NFLN THU NT FOOTBALL||NFL NETWORK||8:27 PM||1,952||0.6|
|NBA BASKETBALL||TNT||10:33 PM||1,391||0.6|
|NFLN THU NT POST-GAME||NFL NETWORK||11:26 PM||1,088||0.4|
|WWE TRIBUTE TROOPS||USA||8:00 PM||1,401||0.4|
|NBA PRE-GAME SHOW||TNT||8:00 PM||1,078||0.4|
|INSIDE THE NBA||TNT||12:59 AM||733||0.4|
|RACHEL MADDOW SHOW||MSNBC||9:00 PM||3,107||0.4|
|THE FIRST 48||A&E||9:00 PM||934||0.3|
|HANNITY||FOX NEWS||9:00 PM||3,247||0.3|
|TNF POST-GAME||NFL NETWORK||11:36 PM||734||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTERS OUTSIDE||HOME||10:00 PM||1,423||0.3|
|MILLION DOLLAR LISTING LA||BRAVO||9:00 PM||916||0.3|
|TOP CHEF||BRAVO||10:00 PM||784||0.3|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||8:00 PM||1,233||0.3|
|TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT||FOX NEWS||8:00 PM||3,008||0.3|
|HOUSE HUNTER INTL||HOME||10:30 PM||1,312||0.3|
|TWO AND A HALF MEN||NICK-AT-NITE||1:00 AM||607||0.3|
|BEAT B.FLAY||FOOD||10:00 PM||819||0.3|
|ANDERSON COOPER 360||CNN||9:00 PM||1,127||0.3|
|TAMAR & VINCE||WETV||9:00 PM||707||0.3|
|DAILY SHOW||COMEDY||11:00 PM||796||0.3|
|PARDON THE INTERRUPTION||ESPN||5:30 PM||804||0.3|
|SPECIAL RPT W/BRET BAIER||FOX NEWS||6:00 PM||2,621||0.3|
|TWO AND A HALF MEN||NICK-AT-NITE||1:32 AM||565||0.3|
- Sports topped cable ratings last Thursday, with NBA basketball taking the number one and three spots on the list. Top slot went to the LA Lakers vs. Cleveland Cavaliers game on TNT, scoring a 0.7 rating and 1.79 million viewers, while the game between the Mavericks and Warriors earned a 0.6.
- The NFL Network’s THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL coverage took the number 2 and 4 spots on the top 25, earning a 0.6 rating in 18-49s and 1.95 million viewers at its peak. WWE’s TRIBUTE TO THE TROOP on USA rounded out the top 5 with a 0.4 rating and 1.4 million viewers.
- Elsewhere on cable, liberal and conservative news channels continue to go head-to-head on audience numbers, with nearly identical ratings for 18-49s. In the 8pm hour on Thursday, while ANDERSON COOPER on CNN and TUCKER CARLSON both earned a 0.3, Carlson’s audience was 2.5 times the size of Cooper’s. In the 9pm hour, RACHEL MADDOW on MSNBC edged HANNITY in rating (0.4 vs 0.3, respectively), while HANNITY still maintains a slightly higher audience.
Top 25 Original Programs on Cable – Sunday, December 17, 2017
|REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA||BRAVO||8:00 PM||2,339||1|
|90 DAY FIANCE||TLC||8:00 PM||2,068||0.7|
|CHRISTMAS CONNECTION||HALLMARK||8:00 PM||3,994||0.6|
|ROBOT CHICKEN||ADULT SWIM||11:30 PM||1,187||0.6|
|KEEPING UP W/THE KARDASHIANS||E!||9:00 PM||1,032||0.5|
|NFL COUNTDOWN||ESPN||10:00 AM||1,227||0.5|
|SQUIDBILLIES||ADULT SWIM||12:00 AM||835||0.4|
|ALASKA: THE LAST FRONTIER||DISCOVERY||9:01 PM||2,263||0.3|
|THE JELLIES||ADULT SWIM||12:15 AM||705||0.3|
|BEACHFRONT BARGAIN HUNT||HGTV||10:00 PM||1,156||0.3|
|HAWAII LIFE||HGTV||9:30 PM||1,146||0.3|
|GUY’S GROCERY GAMES||FOOD||8:00 PM||963||0.3|
|SPORTSCENTER WEEKEND||ESPN||9:00 AM||731||0.3|
|HAWAII LIFE||HGTV||9:00 PM||1,138||0.3|
|NFL GAMEDAY MORNING||NFL NETWORK||9:00 AM||701||0.3|
|WATCH WHAT HAPPENS LIVE||BRAVO||11:00 PM||756||0.3|
|ALASKA: THE LAST FRONTIER SPECIAL||DISCOVERY||8:00 PM||1,972||0.3|
|BEACHFRONT BARGAIN HUNT||HGTV||10:30 PM||1,075||0.3|
|HAWAII LIFE||HGTV||8:00 PM||1,067||0.2|
|COLLEGE BASKETBALL||ESPN||3:00 PM||765||0.2|
|SEARCH PARTY||TBS||10:00 PM||671||0.2|
- With WALKING DEAD on hiatus, Bravo’s REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA captured the top spot on Monday’s cable ratings, earning a 1.0 among adults 18-49, but it was the number 3 CHRISTMAS CONNECTION movie on the Hallmark Channel that roped in the largest audience, 3.994 million overall.
- In the number 2 slot, TLC’s 90 DAY FIANCE continues to perform well, ticking up a tenth to 0.7 over last week’s 0.6.
- Rounding out the top five were Adult Swim’s ROBOT CHICKEN, which brought in a 0.6 in adults 18-49, and Showtime’s SHAMELESS, even with last week’s 0.5. Just outside the top 5, KEEPING UP WITH THE KARDASHIANS also stayed even with last week, once again grabbing a 0.5 rating.
- NBC Universal has acquired first-time mobile streaming rights for SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL, beginning with the 2018 season and to be made available through NBC’s “TV Everywhere.” While top-rated weekly games have already been made available to cable subscribers via authenticated NFL apps, streaming to phones only recently became an option when Verizon renewed its deal with the NFL on a non-exclusive basis.
- Fusion will debut a new 10×30 series on January 31st starring former baseball star David Ortiz as he tries his hand at various new professions. Titled BIG PAPI NEEDS A JOB, the first episode features the future Hall of Famer working as a stadium tour guide, dog groomer, manicurist, and musician.
- Watergate projects continue to proliferate on US channels as politics continue to feel like that (and worse) than the famous 1970s scandal leading to Nixon’s resignation. Netflix has put into development an 8-part limited series concept from George Clooney’s Smokehouse, in partnerships with Bridge of Spies writer Matt Charman. The show is rumored to be told in a Roshomon style, with each episode told from the perspective of a figure close to the scandal (eg former Attorney General John Mitchell and Richard Nixon counsel John Ehrlichman). Meanwhile, CBS TV Studios has optioned Thomas Mallon’s novel Watergate for series development in association with Paul Giamatti & Dan Carey’s production company Touchy Feely Films. This limited series will be more darkly comedic in tone, unfolding the events of the scandal through a collection of characters not as well known to history.
- Development on female empowerment docuseries WHO RUNS THE WORLD? has been suspended by TNT, due to the involvement of Morgan Spurlock’s production company Warrior Poets’. In a joint statement by the channel and other producing partner, Sarah Jessica Parker’s Pretty Matches Productions, the companies announced severing ties with Spurlock, saying, “We stand in solidarity with the victims. We are suspending production on Who Rules the World (working title) to reevaluate the best path forward for the project, and are more determined than ever to share women’s stories through this series.”
- USA has set February 27th for the premiere of UNSOLVED: THE MURDER OF TUPAC AND THE NOTORIOUS B.I.G. The 10×60 anthology series chronicles the dual police investigations of Detective Greg Kading and Detective Russell Poole into the controversial murders of two of the rap industry’s most legendary players, Tupac Shakur and The Notorious B.I.G. Check out the trailer HERE.
- Amidst the continued executive shake up at Amazon, the studio has passed on all three of its comedy pilot projects for fall 2017. SEA OAK, starring Glenn Close; LOVE YOUR MORE, from Patti Cake$’ Bridget Everett and Sex and the City‘s Michael Patrick King; and Diarra Kilpatrick’s THE CLIMB were greenlit under the previous regime, but fell before the newer straight-to-series model Amazon has lately been employing (most recently and notably for LORD OF THE RINGS). Amazon is still considering two comedies put into development by former execs; UPLOAD from The Office creator Greg Daniels, and MAKING FRIENDS with Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg.